“Money Well Spent, Private tour - Great Guide”

La Vigne du Roy Champagne Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 24 Tours in Reims
More attraction details
Owner description: La Vigne du Roy Champagne Tours. We are a family run business based in the heart of Champagne, with five years of experience specialising in private tours of the Champagne region. We offer Half Day or Full Day Tours providing you with the opportunity to go on a journey of discovery and to experience Champagne and the passion of its producers in a relaxed and friendly environment with experienced guides.Our tours we present the entire process of creating the magic that is Champagne and the culture, legends and traditions behind it, with our primary focus on high quality small Champagne Houses, that are often inaccessible, but make exceptional Champagne. Here we provide tours of the wineries and tastings at each to compare the different styles of Champagnes that are created by these passionate, knowledgable and artistic producers.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I had looked at booking this tour and then forgot and about a week out email Christopher late evening. By the next morning I had a confirmation and was really excited. We took the 40 minute TGV ride out to Champagne from Paris and met Ekaterina at the station. She confirmed the types of Champagne Houses that I wanted to go to, all small in size and also asked about our eating habits to make sure we would go to a place where both my wife and I would like to eat.

We took a quick ride to the town where Dom Perignon had been laid to rest. We toured the vineyards and learded about the process. The weather was cold, foggy and cold but it did not deter us from moving onward to the first tasting. As we walked in to the Champagne House Ekaterina greeted the Father and Son and was explaining to us the process of making champagne. They have selected a few really nice smaller houses that they have a good working relationship with and pretty much have full access to the entire properties.

We were also able to taste pretty much every single bottle they had available. The nice thing with champagne is you really can taste the differences from bottle to bottle and start picking our what you like pretty quickly.

Then it was time for lunch and a ride over to another town. I will update with the name of the place but it was a michelin star rated restaurant and a really good meal. We then took a quick ride over to Rheims to see the Cathedral. Then it was on to 2 other smaller houses.

The whole tour was from 920am to about 6pm and covered 3 different houses and Rheims. Lunch is not included but even eating at a high end restaurant the priced fixed meals was not bad priced at all.

The last house we went to was Ernest Remy Winery and it really was the best for last. All the grapes used at this house are Grand Cru and there wasn't a bad glass of champagne poured. Not to say we had any bad ones earlier in the day but there were a couple that I liked and my wife didn't and vice versa. We also we able to meet the owner and he had just set up a website and was also exporting to the USA. He actually has Champagne that just got here and will be shipped from that distributor. I guess with all the laws and taxes its hard to bring much more than a bottle or two back to the USA so going to places that have distributors in the US is great and all 3 of them had the ability to be bought here.

We really learned a lot about the process of growing, making and drinking champagne and would highly recommend this tour to others. I actually told the concierge at our hotel that this is a must recommend tour for people who ask. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

5  Thank JCRealtor
in 23 reviews
"entertaining guide"
"small producers"
in 17 reviews
"a michelin star restaurant"
in 5 reviews
"great sense of humor"
"picnic lunch"
in 4 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 11 reviews
"entire process"
in 7 reviews
"favorite part"
in 5 reviews
"beautiful area"

Reviewed November 19, 2012

From the moment Christopher arrived exactly on time I felt we were in for a professional day. Our first stop overlooking a misty Reims enabled an overview of both the extraordinary history of the city and the production of champagne. We made three visits to smaller houses one would not normally consider and all offered different tasting perspectives eg houses with a house style and others where the focus lies with the individual champagne. Lunch was at the Jardin which offers something to suit all. Two of our group of 5 had been on a considerable number of tastings a felt this one scored because it was at our pace, we were the only people at the tastings, they were very relaxed, no pressure to buy and quite a number of different examples to taste. Christopher was knowledgeable and we did meet the the growers to have a chat which was great but sometimes speaking French all day can be pretty tiring. I have already recommended this tour to friends.

1  Thank united33
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had a wonderful tour with Ekaterina. Knowledgeable, friendly, and works hard to meet all of your requests. I highly recommend to anyone who wants the back scenes tour of some of the best Champagne houses in the world.

1  Thank Dan D
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A few of us spent a day out around Reims with Ekaterina.

We were looking for smaller, but good, champagne houses - brands that might be harder to get in Australia (where we live). We were not disappointed at all.

We went to three different champagne houses (very different styles), had lunch at a Michellin starred restaurant (courtesy of a booking Ekaterina was able to wrangle at short notice) and spent some time in and around Reims cathedral. Throughout, Ekaterina was friendly, knowledgeable and never in a hurry - it never felt like a tour (even though, it kind of was).

On the whole, an excellent day out - would definitely use them again on my next visit.

1  Thank Mukund R
See more reviews
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great tour, we did the half day. Ekaterina was friendly, informative and made the trip wonderful. On the tour was myself, my husband and my adult daughter. My husband is not a wine drinker. He was still inerested in the process and would sip the samples of champagne but then pass the glass to either myself or my daughter (no complaints from us ;-) In conversation with Ekaterina, he explained his preference was single malt whiskey or aged rum. At the second champagne house we visited, Nicolas Maillart, Ekaterina presented him with a sample to try. "You'll like this" she said... and she was right! It was Fine de Marne and he bought a bottle ! How's that for recognizing your customers needs and fulfilling them :-) A good day was had by all. Thank you.

1  Thank YQG