“Very Friendly and Knowledgeable”
Review of La Maison Mumm

La Maison Mumm
Book In Advance
$24.06*
G.H. Mumm Champagne House Cellar Tour
$264.61*
and up
Private Tour: Moet and Chandon, Hautvillers and the House of Mumm Champagne Day...
$179.21*
Champagne Region Day Trip from Paris including Two Champagne Tastings
Ranked #7 of 80 things to do in Reims
More attraction details
Owner description: A visit to the Maison Mumm means enjoying a real Experience. It means understanding champagne "from the inside" as well as encountering the vibrant spirit of the Mumm House that has constantly been under pinned by quality and audacity since it was created in 1827. Visiting The Maison Mumm means treading in the footsteps of those who breathe daily life into it, discovering the production secrets of this "wine of kings", exploring the cellar while savouring remarkable champagnes. ... starting with the famous Cordon Rouge.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a great tour! My husband and took the 9 am English tour and it was fantastic. It was a short walk from our hotel however it is far from most other tours so have the front desk call a cab, if you do not have other means of transportation.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

As part of a day long trip in Reims I took the Mumm cellar tour and it was the champagne house I enjoyed the most out of the three I visited. The moment I arrived at Reims I booked a tour through the tourism office outside the Reims TGV station using the Reims City Pass and I"m glad I did.

When I arrived we started with a short video about the history of the house and then went into their underground cellar that was in active use. You really got a sense of the size and scope of their production, as you saw many caves stacked with bottles fermenting and roads that led down to farther sections of the underground cellar. There was also a small museum in the cellar, which holds machines from the past that had been used in production of champagne in the old ways, before modernization helped to improve the consistency and scope of production.

After the cellars we went up to the tasting room. Mumm champagnes were the favorite of all the champagnes I tasted that day, though of course that is up to personal preference. The tasting room held amusing posters about how to handle champagnes in any situation and was just a fun experience overall.

I liked this champagne tour the best of the houses I visited because of their underground cellars - as I mentioned you get a great sense of the scope of their production but also get to see the devices used in the past before they came up with new techniques and technology.

Small word of warning - the tour I booked through the city pass only got me one glass of tasting. I believe there are several different "types" of tours with will change the number of champagnes you get to taste at the end. Thankfully I came with a friend so that we could share wines, but if you want to taste a greater range of their offerings be sure to call or email ahead to get the correct reservations.

1  Thank Jonathan N
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I did a one hour tour at 11:00 on a Sunday. The tour guide explained everything well, with plenty of exhibits and antique winemaking equipment to look at. It was good that there were different drink choices available. I had a glass of rosé with 4 small pink sponge biscuits on a tray or 17 euros. The tasting and sales area was nice, and it was possible to linger a bit longer and enjoy the experience. This is a good tour for people that want an introduction to champagne and the region.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The second visit we've made in a year with 2 different groups of friends. It was still an interesting visit - the caves and the history are great, but the guide was very poor compared to the first visit, he kept asking stupid questions and trying to get people to guess the answer; totally pointless.

We went for the more expensive tour and the champagne at the end was very good. Shame the guide wasn't the informative girl we had in April.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

There are several different packages you can purchase...the difference is the type/number of tastings at the end of the tour. The tour starts with a short film. The guide did a good job describing how champagne is made and the tour of the caves was good. This is not a cheap tasting, but is worth it if you like champagne or are interested in how champagne is made.