“Average room” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Average room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here after reading the glowing reviews on TA. The word "luxury" should not be used to describe this property. It is an average hotel. I would compare it to a Hampton Inn from the U.S. Now the hotel does have a large, impressive bar and modern restaurant. But the rooms are very simple. The bathrooms are a step up - you'll get a good shower. Wifi connection is weak. Some of the front desk staff were polite and helpful with restaurant recommendations and directions while others were not very attentive to guests. But I really don't have a problem with this hotel, it was the TA reviews that let me down. Ironically I disregarded advice given on the TA forum in which some mentioned that Reims does not warrant an overnight stay. I agree with that. They have a great WWII museum, a beautiful Cathedral and the champagne cellars all can be visited in one day. So I would say skip the hotels here totally. This is not some quaint French village that is fun to wander around.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank docGamba
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Traveller,

Following your message posted on Trip Advisor I'm sorry to read that our property, such as the city of Reims, didn't reach all your expectancies. We take good note of your opinion and I thank you for visiting us in the beginning of 2014.

BEST WESTERN Hôtel de la Paix - Vincent B. - Guest Relation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night while passing through Reims to Paris, and it was a great hotel option in this city. It's very central (right next to the long pietonne road where they put the Christmas market), and we could easily walk to many top tourist sights. The accommodations are also very nice! Our room was clean, fairly big, and modern, and the bathroom was also modern (I liked the sink) and just big enough. Overall a very nice and updated room, no complaints at all. The staff at the front desk were perfectly polite and nice, though they weren't the best at giving recommendations. When we asked where to go for a drink at night, they circled two areas on a map which supposedly had nice wine and champagne bars, but when we went to those areas we didn't find the options to be as good as in other areas. I wish they had been able to point us to a more specific location, especially since we only had one night, but at least they tried.

I would definitely recommend staying here if you find yourself on a trip to Reims, the price is not bad at all and I think that the rooms could definitely be worth more than what they charge.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tfrey91
Dear Traveller,

It has been a pleasure to welcome you in Reims and in our hotel.
Our Front Desk staff try to give the best recommandations according to the guest's needs and desires. Unfortunally the risk is to give sometimes advices that doesn't fit well with these needs.

Sincerely yours,

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great hotel in an excellent location. The staff are friendly and very good with children. Our room was modern and though the view into the courtyard left something to be desired the price reflected our expectations. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of towels. Due to the excellent location there are over 20 restaurants in easy walking distance. We opted for open air dining on the Rue Condorcet. The breakfast room is situated near an airy courtyard with a fantastic selection of breads, pastries, fruit and cold meats. We ate for a long time. So did the kids. It was delicious. Top that off with a super coffee and you are onto a winner.
We will be stopping by again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelbug225
Dear Guests,

I sincerely would like to thank you for visiting us with your kids and for leaving this positive review.
This is really motivating for us.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Excellent location as near restaurants, bars and pedestrian street. Modern, funky, quiet room with separate toilet/shower and view/little balcony. Helpful staff, especially as we forgot the code to our safe!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travellers from NZ,

We thank you for visiting us from so far. We wish you have well visited the city of Reims and the Champagne region during your trip last November.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here after traveling from London via Eurotunnel en route to Italy. Very convenient location with secure underground parking facilities which is a great bonus with a car packed full for Christmas. Very friendly hotel staff; the bar had a party vibe on a Friday evening but didn't disturb guests, and a good breakfast the following morning.
Whilst the cathedral was magnificent, I have to say that we were somewhat disappointed by Reims - maybe it was the time of year or the state of the French economy, but it felt very flat for an evening out the Friday before Christmas. Would definitely consider the hotel again though if the timing works, next time we drive to Italy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travellers,

I'd like to thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welocme on for your next stop from or to Italy.

melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I pre-paid for my three night stay on the hotel website some months before my trip, as it was the best price I could find: the cost was 385 euros for the three nights, which did not include breakfast, for a queen premier room.

I arrived via train and it was a 10 minute stroll (although the cobble means that it's not always easy - my roller case really doesn't like cobble); you simply walk straight ahead from the train station exit through the park, across the street, and down the big boulevard until you hit a big roundabout, then turn right onto Rue Buirette and the hotel sign is clearly visible from the corner. Even for someone like me, who tends to get anxious when searching for new places at dusk, this was easy.

Reception was helpful and polite, although as others have noted, having to drag your case up the stairs to get to the hotel, and the absence of a doorman to welcome you, can seem a bit unfriendly at the end of a long day. You get a card for keyless entry, which you wave in front of the lift and your room door. I was given room 538: I asked for a view of the cathedral and was told I had it, but once I got to my room I discovered it was looking over the front street; the phone then rang and the receptionist apologised for misleading me: I could move to the other side of the building but only on the 4th floor and apparently you can't really see it from there - you need to be on the 5th floor which was full. The thought of putting my shoes back on and trudging back down the hallway did not appeal so I stayed put. I could hear the cathedral bells calling for midnight mass, but the street noise was too loud to sleep with the window open, which is my preference.

The hotel provide a wireless code and setting up wifi on my iPad was relatively straightforward once I worked out how to make the screen speak english.

The room itself was lovely; a very comfortable bed, a lovely bathroom with a really deep bath and a walk in shower with rainwater head and handheld power shower. There is a minibar in the entry hallway, along with a really helpful "hall table" to drop off all your bits and pieces when you come in. The desk was let down with a REALLY uncomfortable plastic chair so I used the comfy arm chair and side table instead. Plenty of places to plug and recharge electronic devices.

You need to bring your own shampoo and conditioner, moisturiser and soap if you prefer it over the wall-mounted gel. If you use a facecloth and don't travel with your own, make sure to ask for one at check in.

Breakfast was 14 euros each morning and was - I thought - good value for what it was. There were cereals and yoghurt, plenty of good bread and pastries, a toaster, preserves, cold boiled eggs, cold cuts and cheeses, and bain maries with scrambled egg, and various breakfast meats. Juices and tea and coffee; if you ask, they will make you hot chocolate with milk. If you have breakfast served in your room, 14 euros brings you the roll and croissant and drinks, but you have to pay for all the extra items = eg 6 euros for scrambled egg.

I had christmas lunch in the restaurant and it was a delight - good company, excellent food, champagne is available by the glass even though it's not mentioned in the menu, and really pleasant and helpful service. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and when we went to pay 3 hours later, I was really shocked by how low the bill was - 35 euros for risotto, salad, the best profiteroles imaginable, and champagne! I was sure there must be a mistake but no, and it even included 15% service. Joy. I also had room service the next night, so I could repeat my favorite dish (the truffle risotto is amazing!) and try the creme brulee (also sensational): the room service menu prices are the same as in the restaurant, amazingly good value I think.

Location-wise, the christmas market was right there on the corner (although I don't recommend it - the french christmas markets, like the swiss, have been a huge disappointment. Stick to Germany and Austria if you are looking for handcrafts, good food and entertainment). I walked to the cathedral in 10 minutes (I am a slow walker) and that was a joy and a privilege - the Marc Chagall windows are just delicious. I went on a Cris Events tour of some champagne houses which I will review separately. Really, it was a very pleasant two day stopover.

I would happily stay again and would recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: I was looking out over the front street on the 5th floor; no view and lots of noise on the streets...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank emah
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Traveller from Australia,

I would like to thank you for this well detailed feedback about your stay in our property in the end of last december.
I wish you also enjoyed the rest of your stay in France.

Sincerley yours,

Longdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were not really looking forward to this stop however it was fab location was perfect parking was 12 euros across the road for the night the Christmas markets were beautiful the town really out did itself with decorations and friendliness all in all recommended

Room Tip: We had 527 very quiet even tho near lift
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BW-Hotel-de-la-Paix, Responsable relations clients at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel de la Paix, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Travellers,

I'd like to thank you for sharing this very positive comment.

We look forward to welcome you in 2014.

Sincerely yours,