“Interesting is a kind way of saying.......?”

Cafe Restaurant le pere francois
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: web site : http://leperefrancois.eresto.net/
Eastbourne
“Interesting is a kind way of saying.......?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Travelling on business I thought I would not eat in the hotel but take my chances at a local restaurant. The establishment is small, probably 30 covers, The menu is also small. There were 4 starters, I ordered one,2 minutes later the gentleman came back to say it was not available and offered another, 2 minutes later he was back, not available. I then took the wise decision of asking which of the remaining 2 plates were available, he assured me that both were available, so I ordered the melon with ham.

It was surprisingly nice and very well proportioned. It was in fact large enough to suffice as a main course.

I had also ordered a traditional Cassoulet, there were 3 on offer and I chose the one without cheese as I am supposed to be dairy free.

Out came the most interesting Cassoulet I had ever seen. Smothered in melted cheese about 1 cm thick! No sign of a cannellini bean, to my mind beans of some sort, whether cannellini or haricot are a vital ingredient to this dish, instead it was made of chopped thin frankfurters and potato in a chopped tomato sauce. As I said, interesting if not strange.

Again, it tasted good, if different. I had no ill effects from the cheese, so all in all, not a bad meal.

Washed down with a Belgium Blonde Beer or two, what started badly for a foody like me, turned out okay in the end.

• Visited October 2012

Orgeval, France
“Poor!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

We ordered the "Fodue au Mont d'Or" that was shown on the menu and the boards on the wall but the embarrassed waitress told us that they had stopped serving it that very day. We chose the "Fondue Savoyarde" and we got some stale bread with a few slices of ham and salami. We remarked that the heater did not work and the waitress found out that it had not been plugged in properly. Better to avoid this place.

Visited April 2012
London
“A great place off the main tourist street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

Apparently they just changed owner and I do not know how it was before but it was a great place for lunch or dinner. They are offering great value for money, fresh and plentiful food in nice café atmosphere.