“Not a pleasant dining experience”
Review of Le Gaulois

Le Gaulois
Ranked #40 of 475 Restaurants in Reims
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre Erlon-Est
Description: French cafe/restaurant
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Noisy, cramped, busy, and poor food.
My chevre chaud salad was huge, but it was packed with black edged lettuce, overly dressed, a pile of not particularly tasty fried sliced potatoes, and just 2 morsels of deep fried goats cheese. Absolutely not the fresh goats cheese salad I was hoping for.

Why are there so many of these poor restaurants in France, that are not really good value?
Despite trying to make a good choice, invariably we only manage 'satisfactory to good' about one third of the time.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

It was a lovely atmosphere, but the food was "fine" and "tasted like a rodeo," according to my husband. The cold fries did remind me of a state fair. I think the majority of its business comes from hotel referrals for people who don't speak French. The waiter was very friendly and the outdoor seating was amazing.

I would not eat here again.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were looking forward to Moules et Frites at this well known restaurant in Reims but were extremely disappointed with a very dry and undercooked version with a sauce that looked and tasted like washing up liquid. The "so called frites" were also large and cold. My wife who is French had a row with the management and we only paid for one of the two helpings despite hardly touching the food as it was almost uneatable.
On the other hand most of the others seemed to be enjoying themselves but judging by another review we were not alone in describing the moules et frites as "the worst we have ever had. They were overcooked and came to us shriveled and tasteless"

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to this restaurant for lunch with certain expectations. As it enjoyed a premium location by the fountain on the pedestrian walkway, it was teeming with people, many of whom were enjoying moules et frites as it was a special that day. Although we normally avoid restaurants on tourist streets, we thought we would give it a try as the food looked fairly decent as we walked by. We were wrong. The moules et frites were the worst we have ever had. They were overcooked and came to us shriveled and tasteless. My veal medallion was hard and barely edible. I am wondering if this restaurant pre-cooks their moules in great quantities and let them sit waiting for customer orders, rather than cooking each order separately, as even beginning chefs know that you take them off the stove once the shells start opening and serving them right away. I am also wondering if my veal was also pre-cooked and just warmed up in a microwave as that would certainly explain why it was so overcooked. Judging from previous reviews, it seems that this restaurant is very hit and miss but very popular due to its prime location.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent location on the Place Droue D'erlon

Sit outside & enjoy your food/drink whilst ppl watching.

Waiting staff very helpful english speakers!

I had tagliattele au foie gras Mmm

There salads ,mussels , are l worth a mention!

Good range of beers wines and champers.

Great value for money 2 Boot!