“Even the French have bad food”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Gaulois

Le Gaulois
Ranked #57 of 435 Restaurants in Reims
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Centre Erlon-Est
Description: French cafe/restaurant
London
“Even the French have bad food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were looking forward to Moules et Frites at this well known restaurant in Reims but were extremely disappointed with a very dry and undercooked version with a sauce that looked and tasted like washing up liquid. The "so called frites" were also large and cold. My wife who is French had a row with the management and we only paid for one of the two helpings despite hardly touching the food as it was almost uneatable.
On the other hand most of the others seemed to be enjoying themselves but judging by another review we were not alone in describing the moules et frites as "the worst we have ever had. They were overcooked and came to us shriveled and tasteless"

• Czech first
vancouver, b.c.
“overcooked food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went to this restaurant for lunch with certain expectations. As it enjoyed a premium location by the fountain on the pedestrian walkway, it was teeming with people, many of whom were enjoying moules et frites as it was a special that day. Although we normally avoid restaurants on tourist streets, we thought we would give it a try as the food looked fairly decent as we walked by. We were wrong. The moules et frites were the worst we have ever had. They were overcooked and came to us shriveled and tasteless. My veal medallion was hard and barely edible. I am wondering if this restaurant pre-cooks their moules in great quantities and let them sit waiting for customer orders, rather than cooking each order separately, as even beginning chefs know that you take them off the stove once the shells start opening and serving them right away. I am also wondering if my veal was also pre-cooked and just warmed up in a microwave as that would certainly explain why it was so overcooked. Judging from previous reviews, it seems that this restaurant is very hit and miss but very popular due to its prime location.

• Visited July 2013
essex
“Top Service great french bistro food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent location on the Place Droue D'erlon

Sit outside & enjoy your food/drink whilst ppl watching.

Waiting staff very helpful english speakers!

I had tagliattele au foie gras Mmm

There salads ,mussels , are l worth a mention!

Good range of beers wines and champers.

Great value for money 2 Boot!

Harrogate
“Great choice, great food & great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

It was brilliant sitting outside on a hot summer evening eating such great food accompanied by such great waiter service.
Will be back our next time in Reims.

Telemark County, Norway
“A sensation; a smiling French waiter :-)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was my first time in Reims and it was just an impulse to go to this restaurant. It was a hot and nice summer evening and I was sitting outside, it took some time before the waiter brought me the menu, but he was a exception; a smiling and service minded waiter! He was fare from professional (forgotten a washing cloth on the beside me, did not remove pepper, salt, ketchup and Mayonnaise after the main course etc), but some English spoken and surprisingly smiley and friendly. I had steak, it was a bit overdone, but good taste and green beans was fresh and tasty. It took rather long time to get served; the explanation was according the staff that several people arrive at the same time. This and the other reviews tells me at the restaurant have a lack of organization and lack of professional staff. For dessert I had ice-cream with fresh fruits. Here I got the feeling that the chef was thinking; “We take what we have!”, the ice was ok, but what to a slice of lemon and lime do in a fruit cocktail?

• Visited July 2013