“Great place for a party!”

Champagne G.H. Martel & Co
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Taninges, France
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place for a party!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We held a 60th birthday dinner for 20 of us at this champagne house back in 2005 (it wasn't 2013 but I had to select a date to get this in!) - as far as I can recall (hazy memories - I blame the drink- far from diminished by the passage of time), we enjoyed a different champagne with each of 7 courses and I remember afterwards encouraging them to consider exporting their great value products to the UK. When these wines appeared a few months later, no prizes for guessing who was at the head of the queue to buy out Sainsbury's stock then at the enticing price of under £9 a bottle! We loved the place and had a great evening - excellent for such an occasion. Many (belated) thanks to all at GH Martel. David S

New York City, New York
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Perhaps we were not lucky”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The stop at the house of GH Martel was part of our tour so it was not a personal pick.
Looking at these great reviews only leads me to believe that our tour was at the end of the day and the host was tired. Upon our group arrival we had to wait at least good 20 minutes till the whole tour filled up with at least 20 people. After that we were take into cold cellar and were give a movie on topic how champagne is made (I froze my tail off so bring a good sweater). after movie was done we were told to wait some time longer in this cold cellar and only afte that we were taken on very boring tour of the caves. The host did not have any character nor did he appear bit interested in telling about the company. After the boring tour we went to "living room" to sample champagne, before he even gave us a first glass he informed us of current sale.
It felt like a sales pitch and that was a turn off. My husband was given a broken glass but when brought to hosts attention he pretended to ignore it. Further more he did not even change our glasses between the different kinds so if you like it or not we were kind of forced to drink it down. I been to wine tours and to be this was by far the most disappointing one.

1 Thank pupsik
Lucerne, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worthwhile visit”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Unfortunately, the visit had to be confined to just the tasting due to time constraints.
However, the tasting was well organised and the champagne was excellent, accompanied by savoury and sweet appetizers. The surroundings were reminiscent of a church hall and distinctly unostentatious. There was no "hard sell" approach nor even any signposting to their shop, located across the yard. Reasonably priced champagne, considering the quality. All in all, a worthwhile visit to taste Martel champagne and I will definitely return for the tour next time I'm in Reims.

Los Angeles, California
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Great visit”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our tour ended up being private as no one else signed up for our time slot. You are led down into the first level where you watch a short video explaining the history of G.H. Martel. After the video you climb down into the caves. Our guide was great and gave us a wonderful overview of the history of champagne production. There were old tools and examples to show each stage of production. After the tour the tasting was wonderful. We tasted three different champagnes and were able to sit and savor as long as we wanted in their lobby. The lobby is set up like a living room so we didn't feel rushed and were able to sit in comfy chairs and enjoy the champagne tastings. I would definitely recommend visiting G.H Martel and the tour and tasting are wonderful and I feel the value is good considering you get 3 tastes, and pretty large tastes at that.

Visited November 2012
Malibu, Ca
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our tour of Martel and the chalk caves was very personal. Great hostess, I believe her name was Kristen. I could be wrong. Lots of info on champagne making, history of the area and and effects of war on he vines, etc. we then experienced champagne tasting of 3 types of champagne. Very good champagne. They only export 20 percent of their product out of France. Saving the best for France! I love it!

Visited March 2013