“Excellent location, good value”
Review of Hotel Azur

Hotel Azur
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Reims
North Yorkshire
“Excellent location, good value”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We chose the Azur as we needed secure parking for our classic car. However, as it turned out the hotel would have been a good choice even without the excellent local secure garaging. As a boutique hotel we found the room charming and spotless, the bathroom seemed recently refurbished. There was no evening meals served but with so many food outlets nearly this wasn't a problem and the continental breakfast was more than sufficient given the price. Overall we had a comfortable stay enhanced by knowing our car was secure, there is parking available on the street but the town was very busy. We would definitely stay again, excellent value.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BogratNorthYorkshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Indonesian first
New York City
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Azur in Reims while on a weekend getaway with 3 girlfriends from London. All of us have fairly reasonable standards, and also recognised going in that EUR 40/person/night wasn't going to stretch far in Champagne during the height of the summer travel season. However, even thinking of "value for money" the review is mixed.

The Good:
1. Relatively friendly staff, who accommodated our oft-changing reservation (started with two girls, expanded to four). They also provided us with a map and suggestions for Reims
2. Did I mention it was EUR 40/person/night during July in France?
3. It was clean, which, having stayed in budget hotels in France in the past, is certainly not guaranteed.
4. The location - perfectly placed in the middle of Reims, on such a pretty street/off a pretty square.

The Not Good:
1. No aircon. This in and of itself is not an issue for me (but likely for others!), but the lack of breeze certainly is. I was in a single bedroom on the 3rd floor, and as I'd had to stay for the afternoon at work, I was not able to visit my room prior to dinner (my friend had grabbed the keys for me). When I got back it was STIFLING, despite opening the window to the widest possible and blowing the fan full blast. And I just moved back from Singapore, so I'm definitely accustomed to hot environments! I eventually had to go sleep down in my friends room on the first floor the first night. The second night, as I'd had the window open and fan going all day, was tolerable to pleasant. So be warned!
2. My room - again, single on 3rd floor - didn't have a wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. I do not like staring at a toilet as I go to sleep. Boundaries are good. The other two rooms we had - another single, and a double - did not have this issue.
3. The toilet. All the toilets in the hotel are very noisy, so there is a request that you not flush between 10:30pm - 7am. This is just annoying. Why must the toilets be so loud?
4. Front desk does close at 8:30pm, about which they are not really flexible. Thankfully, two of our group were able to take off work that Friday, but this would've been an issue for us had this not been the case, as two of us had to catch a later afternoon Eurostar down from London.
5. Luggage storage. All of us had weekend bags (nothing major) which they refused to store for us behind the front desk on Sunday while we wandered around and then went to the Taittinger tasting, before catching a 5pm train. instead, they gave us the key to their parking garage, in which we could store our luggage. The parking garage is (A) a weird place to store luggage; and (B) located a few blocks away from the hotel; and (C) their map is very difficult to navigate. My friend and I wandered around for about a half hour before we happened upon the lot, in which sat the garage.

Overall, it wasn't horrible (which, for EUR 40/person/night it sure could have been) and I would recommend the hotel to non-picky friends, and I'd likely stay there again. But, be warned and evaluate your tolerances for minor annoyances before booking.

Room Tip: NOT 311 on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank anonymous1226
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Relatively easy to find (as long as you have sat nav). The hotel was clean and the staff were very attentive. The hotel 'closes' at 8:30pm, so call ahead if you're going to be late. The breakfast was a little meagre and there was no aircon, but a fan was provided.

You get what you pay for.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank AndyStone
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is an odd little hotel in a small side street a few minutes walk from all the major sights of Reims. Apart from the location there are many other plus points to this hotel. Most important, compared to some other Reims hotels, the Azur is quite reasonably priced, especially considering its location. The people on reception were extremely helpful, and provided us with no end of useful information to help us enjoy our stay in Reims. Our room was quite small, but very comfortable. We took advantage of the offer to have secure parking in a nearby garage. It is not free, but in my opinion is an absolute essential. The hotel does not serve evening meals but gave us suggestions for nearby restaurants, together with vouchers for a free first drink at them. The hotel served a very nice breakfast, which I would recommend. On the down side the hotel does not have a lift, so if your room is on the top floor (3rd floor), as ours was, then it is quite an effort to get your bags to the room. However, the lack of a lift was made very clear to us at the time of booking, so we knew what to expect. Overall I would recommend the Azur to visitors to Reims who are looking for a convenient, inexpensive hotel. It only has a few rooms, so early booking is probably a good idea.

Strasbourg, France
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough about this place. We stayed here en route for Strasbourg to allow us to explore this city that we had passed many times. The staff in the hotel were very accommodating as we were late arriving. The rooms are small, but clean and tidy (what you expect from a city centre hotel. They recommended a restaurant near by and phoned to book it (plus we were given a voucher for a free appero). The breakfast was had in the little courtyard at the back and was great with excellent friendly service. The owner had also booked a garage for us overnight in a safe locked up location allowing us to leave the car partially packed.
We will definitely be back to use as a base explore more this delightful city.

Room Tip: The bedrooms on the front are nice although if you keep the windows open in summer, the noise from t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dalesman_Abroad
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Azur is a very good, privately run hotel in a quiet side street, with private parking
The owners are very frinedly, with time to talk and recommend places to visit and eat in Reims.
The room we had was very individually furnished and decorated in a unique style which we both liked very much.
The main streets of Reims are a few minutes walk and there is a superb fish restaurant round the corner (Le Bocal). The immediate area has several 'artisan' food and wine shops
We only stayed for one night but would highly recommend this hotel for the same or for a longer stay. We will definitely return next year on our way from UK to Italy.

Portland, OR
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We spent one night in Reims during our honeymoon and this was our least favorite place during our 2 weeks of travel. We arrived at 230 and were told we couldn't check in until 5pm, which is later than they advertise and late in general for a hotel check in. They did hold our bags while we explored which was nice. When we did get into our room it was fine, but street level without window shades making it anything but private. We arrived on a Sunday so everything was closed (not the hotels fault obviously) so we ended up eating rice cakes in our room for dinner, so as a tip if you're going for just the day plan on a Saturday!

1 Thank nelliejeanne