“Would have been great but for the end...”

La Cave a Champagne
Ranked #12 of 81 Restaurants in Epernay
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked this restaurant by email many weeks before I went on August 24. It was a surprise trip to Epernay for my wife, and friends came on the second day.

I arrived at the restaurant in advance, Firstly, I told the chap at the front that I'd reserved (in French) and was greeted with a very terse, 'we're full'. That didn't bode well. 'No, I've reserved,' I countered, and he checked and yes, found my booking. I was led to a back room to wait for my wife and friends.

The food was excellent, really, and the service at table adequate. The prices weren't bad either, so I was happy with my choice. We had a good evening - till we tried to leave.

The lady at the front looked at my credit card and said, in French, 'Sorry, the machine's not working'. She pointed to a scrawl on the door, barely visible in amongst the Visa and Mastercard signs, that said so, and said, 'you should have checked'. She didn't offer any alternative, just stated the bald facts.

Now I am very placid normally but I was increasingly alarmed. 'I booked this restaurant weeks ago. Nobody told me I couldn't use a credit card. What am I supposed to do?' I think she may not have expected me to speak fluent French. A debate followed, during which I explained we would obviously have to withdraw cash from the till and it would cost us. Could I therefore have a discount? 'I'm not sure about that'. My friends, who were helping to pay, trotted off to the cash point while I continued arguing. We had no choice.

'It's the responsibility of the house, not the customers,' I continued. Now the front of the restaurant is a small area and the whole thing would have been noticeable. The place was packed and I cannot imagine the lady wouldn't be playing out this scenario several times that night. She just shrugged.

Not once did she say sorry, not really, beyond the 'I'm sorry, but...' nuance. She finally gave us a 2% discount for the cash withdrawal. One of my friends said after, 'that left a bad taste in the mouth'. How true. And how unnecessary.

Generally, I'm sure if you go there, you won't have this issue, and you'll have a great meal. But personally, I wouldn't go back there because of the way I, my wife and my friends were treated, all because because their one and only credit card machine didn't work.

1  Thank Ian S

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited last night and were very impressed. 3 people had the salmon and while it is not a huge meal everyone raved about it. It was a good portion size. I had the chicken casserole which was presented completely differently to how I pictured it, but I really liked it. It was a huge meal which I could not finish. We all had crime brûlée and everyone loved it. Service excellent. Well done.

1  Thank Lawral
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food was nice, not that exciting but just decent French cuisine. However, the service was rubbish. Maybe this was because we (couple in early 30's) where so much young than the rest of the crowd, but the personnel did not pay any attention to us. It was a busy service, and everything seemed to be done in a hurry. For example, if I order I really like it that the service looks at you and is not looking around to see what's happening on other tables. Or, when the wine that was chosen is also opened at our table, the lady did not show us the bottle, and therefore we could not check. When I tasted it, and told her this was not the one we ordered, she responded that the one we chose was not available anymore but this one was from the same region?! If she would have just said this in advance: no problem. Now it felt like they tried to cheat a bit. Finally, the salmon was full of bones. When we said this, the lady responded this is always the case.... Well this was new to us as wel!
All in all, the food isn't bad, the service is!

1  Thank MarijkeFH
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family and I had the set menu with champagne. Different champagnes for each course so we could really benefit from the choices of someone who knew what they were talking about! the food was exquisite and service impeccable. We would strongly recommend.

1  Thank pinkgeranium789
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy the set menu at all - maybe we were unlucky but we haven't been back.

1  Thank MrsRoo39