“For a budget hotel, glad I booked IBIS”

Hotel Ibis Epernay Centre Ville
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Epernay
Reviewed May 20, 2011

This was my first time staying at an IBIS ever. I had heard of the hotel chain but have always booked boutique hotels when abroad. Initially I was booked at Hotel Jean Moet but just didn't want to pay that much. I was having a difficult time between IBIS and Premier Classe. Both hotels have received excellent reviews. For me, it came down to location. I really wanted to be in a more central area of Epernay and Premier Classe seemed like it was on the outskirts of town. If I wasn't traveling solo and if I had a car, I might have considered it. I was also just burned staying at a bad hostel so I really didn't want to have another potentially bad experience just to save a few euros.

The IBIS epernay is in a good location, part of a courtyard of shops and cafes. It's also close to a supermarket, a park/fountain. It's a quick 5-10 min walk to the Ave du Champagne. You CAN'T get lost in Epernay. The hotel had free wifi (have to change out the passwords if you on on the internet a lot). There's NO air condition which wasn't an issue for me in May. The high was 70 degrees Celcius so it wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze. The rooms were pretty cool at night. I'm not sure I would stay in a hotel without AC in the summer however so something to keep in mind if you're sensitive to heat. The hotel was pretty quiet. My last night I was awakened by the sound of someone knocking on a door at 4am. I'm a very light sleeper and the person wasn't knocking very loudly at all. There was a little commotion after that then silence again.

The rooms were clean. There was no slip guard in the shower and it was quite high and deep to climb into so that's something they should look into. The hotel provided this body wash/shampoo which was a nice change from the usual bars of soap. I would strongly consider the IBIS for any future stays in Europe if the price continues to be right.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
canmore
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Walkable from train station, excellent breakfast buffet and the price was right. Basic but spotless rooms. Hotel would be noisy when busy due to doors that don't close without a lot of noise. Free WIfi was a plus. For a hotel of this price housekeeping was exceptional. Whole hotel was very clean. Even though our room faced into a public square it was quiet at night.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2011

This is a clean chain hotel in he center of Epernay with very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are very clean but small. The bathroom is also very small but plenty of hot water.

A typical chain but the service sets it apart. The internet wireless is free and a code is given daily. The car parking under the hotel was 9 euros for 2 days and nights.

We were woken by drunks walking past at night but only because our window was open due to the warm weather. There is double glazing so this would probably not matter.

Breakfast was included but we went out to local brasseries and sat in the sunshine.

All in all a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back if you want your window on
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
An Accor traveler
UK
Reviewed April 23, 2011

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My wife and I have stayed many times at the IBIS in Epernay centre. Ideally placed for visiting and transitting through the Reims and Epernay region. We have been very satisfied with the Epernay IBIS for value, cleanliness, attentive and friendly service, covered parking and central situation for visiting local high spots and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We arrived in Epernay around 4pm and easily found the hotel. There was parking near the hotel (which we later found out there was a time limit!) and I think there was a clinic or hospital just opposite the Ibis and also a pharmacy next to the Ibis hotel entrance.

The staff was not friendly and a bit rude when we asked her for another internet password (there are 2 of us with mobile devices!).

The hotel lobby is standard Ibis decor but when we got to the 2nd floor, I felt like I was in a hospital (i'll upload the photos soon)! Which made me wonder if it was a hospital before being taken over to be a hotel chain. However, once we walked in the room, it was standard Ibis - clean and comfortable, no frills. We opened the window to get some air and noticed that it overlooked a quiet courtyard. Which then turned into a nightmare for us as the courtyard magnified and echoed whatever sound was made inside it! There were a few men who were talking loudly around 11pm in the courtyard and it was like they had a loudspeaker and yelling into it. The next morning was the same with some people clearing the rubbish.

However, despite everything, we find that the rate was cheap & served its purpose for 1 night. I also liked the clean bathroom (no bath only shower area) and its proximity to shops and restaurants (no need to drive).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple