“Excellent food at a 'local' restaurant”
Review of L'Oeil de Boeuf

L'Oeil de Boeuf
Ranked #10 of 80 Restaurants in Epernay
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant on the basis of it being close to our hotel - and the great reviews on Trip Advisor. It's location is down a side street just out of the main centre - so you are unlikely to find it by just walking around.
The food and the service were excellent - and it was good to see that most other diners were locals. We had no hesitation in coming back for a second night - and again, we were very impressed.
Highly recommended and worth seeking out!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Food - was just OK. I had the duck breast in honey sauce with dauphinoise potatoes. I didn't get a duck breast, I got 7 wafer thin slices of duck breast - so they are making 1 breast serve 2 customers, a very cheap practise! The potatoes were dry and over salted. When any competent brasserie can turn out this dish easily, I was disappointed.

The wait staff are lovely, but not competent. I had to ask twice for my wine, 3 times for water. They got 2 tables of 4 next to me completely the wrong way round, but refused to accept this when the first table pointed it out. It was only when the second table complained that they accepted what they'd done.

Would not go back.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

What started as a very promising evening - bright, clean restaurant with a good menu & helpful staff - was spoiled by a couple of very young children (approx. 3-5yrs olds). Unfortunately they sat at the table next to us and only 2 of the 4 adults tried to exert any control over them when they ran around the restaurant almost the whole time, getting in the way of the waitresses (dangerous with hot plates, etc.) squealing & being noisy - this totally ruined the evening for myself and my friends (8 adults in total). When we complained to a waitress she apologised and said she couldn't do anything, it was up to their parents! When the cook (possibly el patron?) arrived and greeted them warmly, we assumed they were family members and this type of behaviour was acceptable to the management, although definitely NOT acceptable to other diners without children - they should have been in bed! Our promising evening had been ruined by these obnoxious adults and children - such a pity.

1  Thank Lovescatz
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our Hotel booked us into "L'Oeuil de Boeuf" and we were very pleased with their recommendation.
The service was friendly and quick and the staff handled our language difficulties with a big smile . We chose to eat in the outside area which, as the night progressed, got a bit chilly and required the heaters to be turned on.
The food was first class and portions very adequate. As beef was the signature dish it had to be tried and we were not let down it was well cooked and presented.
Special thanks to the staff they made it a special experience.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I guess going to L'Oeuil de Boeuf after having had dinner at Le Grillard Gourmand would have been a hard act to follow for ANY restaurant and it was. The Restaurant itself is very nice but lacks the warmth of LGG - no fire and no Le chef anywhere to be seen :( That aside, the staff were very attentive and helpful particularly with the menu. We chose the set menu €24.90. Hubby had a very generous serve of smoked salmon and I had Potage st Germain as entree. The Potage was indistinguishable - was it pea soup??? It was hearty if a little lacking in taste (but then I did have a bad cold). We both had the wild boar stew with potatoes. The meat was beautifully tender BUT the meat was so salty that after a few mouthfuls I found it was just too salty for me despite mixing with the potatoes. Hubby had Asiette de Brie and I had Coupe de something for dessert which consisted of 2 small slices of Brie with bread and mine was chestnut ice cream with cream and caramel - very nice but too sweet. Staff were lovely and did not charge for wine. Would definitely go back to sample something else if ever in Epernay again.