“More fast food than good food”
Review of Le Sardaigne

Le Sardaigne
Ranked #13 of 80 Restaurants in Epernay
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Having carefully read the views of others we went to the restaurant with an open mind. Sadly the reality is quite different. I ordered a filet steak and the meat quality was poor, the pepper sauce was mass-produced. I've had worse but not for a long time. Perhaps worst of all was the pervading feeling that we were under pressure to set up and leave. All in all, a meal but not an enjoyable one.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lovely food - I was brave and tried the andouilletes (striving for a unique experience). Only for the brave !

Reviewed September 21, 2013

It was pouring with rain and most restaurants in Epernay were pretty empty, so we were attracted by the fact that this restaurant was packed and buzzing. Despite this, the service was adequate and friendly. My steak hache was a little overdone but tasty and the frites were excellent. Others in the party had pasta dishes which they really enjoyed. Good house wine.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The giveaway is on the pizza page of the menu, which mentions an ingredient called "Pizza Cheese". I thought this had got lost in translation, but indeed, this is the synthetic cheese-subsitute which you don't even get in proper frozen pizzas these days. Another giveaway was the bottle of chilli oil on the table; a 75cl supermarket bottle of 85% rapeseed oil mixed with 15% oiive oil (it said so proudly on the lable) with chilli peppers in it...

True, the pizza is rolled out and baked in an oven. True it is sort of crispy at the edge. But the dough has nothing at all to do with any version of Italian Pizza I have encountered (and, alas, is strongly reminiscent of certain US-based chains). The real problem is the sub-discount-supermarket-own-brand-economy-label quality of the toppings, piled high on the middle of the pizza so the dough underneath was soggy when it arrived, and on closer inspection turned out to be uncooked apart from the 0,7mm on the very bottom. From the budget canned artichoke to the budget capers to the budget anchovies, all were repulsive.

There were 6 other tables within hearing distance, all occupied by British couples with severe language strain (which of course the service wasn't going to try to alleviate. Their tables were piled high with the sort of steak and chips I can't remember seeing since the bad old days of my childhood in Berni Inns (does anyone still remember them apart from me?) Now the general quality of high street eatery food in Britain has improved so immensely in the last 15 years that I can't think what they were thinking...

A repulsive aftertaste of synthetic cheese and undercooked dough.

Avoid this tourist trap.

1  Thank Muzakhater
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited the restaurant on a Monday evening about 8pm. It was very busy but even without a reservation, we were found an indoor table. There is a pavement side terrace as well but that it understandably popular during the good weather so I'd advise booking if you do want to sit outside. First impressions were the large menu (not always a good thing) and the large number of waiting on staff. The menu had a good mixture of French dishes along with a large pizza and pasta menu as well. My girlfriend and I both opted for charcuterie followed by pizza dishes with a half bottle of Pinot Noir. Although simple choices, the pizzas were cooked in a wood burning oven and delicious but very filling. The wine was very pleasant as well and good value at €13 for the half bottle. Service was quick and the staff friendly. The restaurant itself was rustic in style and very pleasant. I'd be interested to try other dishes from the menu but I can't fault the meal we had. If anything, it didn't feel particularly special so I wouldn't choose it for an occasion, but definitely worth trying for a simple, well prepared meal in good surroundings.