“Don't stay here unless there's no alternative!”

Grand Hotel Terminus Reine
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Chaumont
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here unless there's no alternative!”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed here on a Saturday night and paid 89 euros for a double room with no breakfast included, parking was another 5 euros and tax 0.80 cents each!
This tourist tax was dearer than the South of France from where we had been on holiday.
The room itself was clean but very very tired, and the walls in this hotel are paper thin especially if you are put into a room with a connecting door like ours had.
It was quite noisy at the front but we assumed that as the night wore on things would quieten down and it did. When we arrived back from having dinner in the town all was quiet.
Then I was woken at 4am by the people in the next room watching the telly. I suspect that they had crashed out in their room and left the telly on. I finally got to sleep at 6am when somebody turned it off. Bliss.
At exactly 6.40am the street cleaner arrived and proceeded to clean all of the station square 10 times before driving up and down past the hotel and round the roundabouts until at least 7.15 am. This all on a bank holiday Sunday! I didn't see any litter to start with but it had to be done.
We did not bother with breakfast as at € 8.90 each it seemed expensive on top of what we had all ready paid. The Manager is very nice and very patient with any one speaking in french as a foreign language. This hotel needs updating

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tourerbycar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Nantwich
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Since 2006 both I and my family have been tripping over to France and staying in various parts looking I suppose like everyone else for their little piece of this varied country.

My first visit to the hotel was in 2007, I travelled down to Nice by car on my own with my family to join me 3 days later in Nice. I had been driving for several hours in France and night was drawing in and I saw the sign for Chaumont, I hadn't booked a hotel and at around 9.30pm it was looking like a night in the Landrover!

After trying a number of hotels I stumbled across the Hotel Terminus Reine. Parking just outside the door and the parking during August was free!! On setting foot in the hotel you instantly feel at home, the lobby is covered in memorabilia to hunting and behind you looking back from reception is a beautiful formal dining room which didnt dissappoint. The lady on reception was very helpful.

The rooms are outlandish to say the least with bizarre colour schemes and modern art adorning the walls, wacky tiling in the bathroom, but mine wash huge with two double windows overlooking the station which you would not have known was there, and two beds with traditional cotton sheets etc.

I ate in the main restaurant that evening despite my late arrival and was served good fresh food and a fantastic half bottle of red wine. This hotel is not for every one but is a particular type of oasis which waters you well for your travels. Since my first stay I have been 3 times the second time taking my two boys who thought the place was brilliant and they now join me each year on the pilgrimage south. On our last visit the Pizza restaurant was open downstairs and the boys loved watching their pizza being made in front of them before it was served hot from the oven to be devoured.

On no occasion have I been let down here and the room at 113 Euros or roughly £95 was great value. I would recommend this place to anyone and great for the kids.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Gettysburg
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed in this hotel during the Tour de France and it was incredibly bad! There is a strong smell of mold in the hall ways. Black mold was growing in the bathroom to the extendt that it made my wife ill. Complaints to the front desk were met with indifference. I would never stay in this hotel again under any circumstances. Don't take a chance on your health, find another establishment

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Goldinlondon2012

Travelers are raving about these Chaumont hotels

london
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We were driving from Calais to Genoa and looking for a place to stay for one night as our young children were tired. We initially tried the Best Western in Chaumont but were put off by the dingy reception (especially what looked liked bars on the windows ). Thankfully it was fully booked so we happened on The Grand Hotel Terminus Reine....they had a spacious ,clean and very comfortable family room which we gratefully took as it was now dark and the children were hungry. The reception area is impressive if you like the hunting theme,the trophies dotted on the wall especially the huge wild boar were a big hit with the kids. The staff were courteous and helpful and we had a great dinner in of the three restaurants. They have a real wood fire pizza oven and the pizzas were wolfed down by our children.
The cost of the family room was eur 130 with two double beds and I can say that it was money well spent

• Liked — The large bathrooms and polite staff
  • Disliked — The views are not special but it is 50 metres from the station,however we were not disturbed by any noise from the trains
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaumont
Ibis Styles Chaumont Centre Gare
Hotel Inn Design Resto Novo Langres
Hotel des Dhuits
Hotel des Dhuits
#2 of 2 in Colombey-les-deux-Eglises

Been to Grand Hotel Terminus Reine? Share your experiences!