“Perfectly close to train station and tourist office!”
Review of Citotel Criden

Citotel Criden
Ranked #18 of 88 Hotels in Tours
Toledo, Ohio
“Perfectly close to train station and tourist office!”
Reviewed September 22, 2008

My husband and I only stayed two nights at the Criden, and wanted to be close to the train station and the tourism office (where Loire Valley chateaux tours meet) - it was a great location! The hotel is on a busy (but lovely tree-lined) road with not much of a view, but for a short trip it was perfect. The walk into the main (touristy) part of the city was only about 10 minutes.
Check-in was easy, there is an elevator in the hotel (thank goodness!),
The room was very well-lit since one entire wall is sliding glass doors (with a small balcony), instead of just one window. The balcony isn't much to look at, but its great to be able to step outside and watch the street below. The bathroom is great! Very modern and cool, I thought.
The Wi-Fi was maddening.... it only came through every so often.
Never had the breakfast, but the breakfast area looked nice. The website is great - do check it out for more information. 'criden-tours.com'

I loved Tours! The cathedral lit up at night is just so beautiful and peaceful. The ice cream shop in the old/picturesque area of town (Place Plum) is probably the BEST ice cream in the world. Make sure to stop there!
Had a great chateaux day tour through Alienor.

• Liked — Convenient location for touring, great (American-style?) hotel conveniences
  • Disliked — Spotty Wi-Fi was maddening.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ivychick425

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
leicester
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We looked for a Hotel with two rooms to stop over for one night on our way back to the ferry port of Calais from our home near Carcassonne. I was attracted to this Hotel by the positive on-line reviews that I read before booking.
All I can say is that the very positive reviews that I read hardly did justice to our experience at the Criden Hotel. First of all, booking in and checking out was a pleasure, staff were courteous and quite amicable to persevering with my stumbling French ability or switching to English if I prefered. The rooms were excellent, clean, spacious and with a good view over the Boulevard. If as we did you leave your sliding door to the balcony open overnight, then the noise from the traffic will ensure that you get an early start the following day. An excellent shower facility and a modern flat screen TV rounded out an overall good value for money experience. The petit dejeuner was as good as I can remember in an overnight stop and at €7 is a bargain. Lastly location. Across the street you have immediate access to the narrow streets, pavement cafes, the Cathedral and the river which are at the heart of Tours and just around the corner is the Gare with SNCF and TGV. We would definitely go back to the Criden in preference to many of the more popular franchise hotels that we have used in the past and which enjoy 3* ratings rather than the 2* which the Criden enjoys.

• Liked — Location, Value for money
  • Disliked — lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Tilkobling
Rome
Reviewed August 10, 2008

The management of the Criden is rude and bookings are unreliable.

I was in Tours for an important conference, booked into the Criden. When I arrived around lunchtime a very rude and haughty girl at the desk told me I was 'too late' and she had cancelled my reservation to give the room to another person. The room had been booked through the local tourist office and prepaid.

I asked her to check because this seemed simply unbelievable. I had even emailed the hotel the day before. Holding up a stack of *faxes* she told me my message was not in it. I kept trying to get her to look at the hotel emails, but she did not seem to know the difference between faxes and emails.

When I asked her to call the manager, she would not. When I asked her if she could get in touch with the tourist office to find me another hotel room she would not. Nor would she cancel or refund the charge, pretending she did not understand me. I spoke to her in French and in English.

The fact is that this was an extremely busy period in Tours, and all the hotels were filled to capacity. I suspect she took a bribe from another guest to give away my room.

• Disliked — A desirable stay in France should not become a nightmare.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank Space_Odyssey
Toronto
Reviewed July 16, 2008

In all regards this is a very good hotel -- except for the limited air conditioning during what was quite warm weather. Otherwise, everything was fine. The room was quite large; the bathroom was large also. Breakfast was a bit limited since this is a hotel with tour groups (who tend to clear out the breakfast buffet -- which was not replenished.)). The front desk were cheerful and helpful. The hotel is quite close to the Tours (city) railway station (a ten-minute walk); so it's a good place!

• Liked — a good room with excellent facilities
  • Disliked — the room was too warm (during a hotel spell)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ayrshire UK
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This is a real gem of a small hotel, great location close to the centre of Tours, very helpful staff, and despite it being next door to a filling station, very quiet and relaxing.
The hotel does not have a restaurant as such, but there is a very acceptable breakfast deal for around 7 Euros.
Best of all, the room costs are great. We booked two rooms in June for around £30 per room.
Highly recommended, and surely deserves more than it's two stars!

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Cannon1
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Stayed at Criden based on the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. Were slightly worried as it didn't appear in any of our guide books. From the road the hotel looks pretty average but inside it has been very tastefully refurbished and has a good modern feel.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Wi-Fi is free but you don't know unless you see the small note on the side of the lift with the access details.

Hotel located close to the cathedral, but probably 20 mins walk from the old quarter, although many of the other hotels appear to be in the same area. One of the best things about the location is that the hotel is just outside the area where you need to pay for on street parking.

Only minor gripe was that the rooms were quite hot and opening the windows made it noisy. There is no air conditioning.

• Liked — Modern decor
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wakey77
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 13, 2008

During my latest trip through France, due to the #1 position on Tripadvisor, I checked the hotel's website which proved rooms available, so I booked one for Saturday 10th May 2008, my credit card was charged with the room price + the whole transaction was immediately confirmed including a reservation code.

When calling later that day to announce arrival time, the hotel receptionist told us bluntly that it was a very busy weekend, the last room had been given away and that we could NOT stay overnight!?!?!? We were flabbergasted by the worst service ever experienced.........

We tried to talk some sense into them, we demanded that the receptionist would call his boss and ask for a solution. He never returned our calls, although he promised to do that. After 3 expensive mobile calls back and forth, we had to ask ourselves for an email confirmation that the credit card transaction would be cancelled and to get our money back.

Worst arrogance I have ever experienced...........AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Disliked — SEE REVIEW
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family