“Brilliant experience”

Restaurant Charles Barrier
Reserve with
Restaurant Charles Barrier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 622 Restaurants in Tours
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

The experience starts with an amazing aperitif outside on their deck, then the meal really highlights the regions wealth of produce! The lobster and pork were amazing dishes. The grand mariner soufflé was also perfectly executed! The service, provided by quite a young group of staff, was excellent and even though our French leaves a lot to be desired, they were very good!

1  Thank GeoffSmith70

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner during our recent visit to Tours. Very near to city centre and has car park at rear of restaurant. The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seatings.

The amuse bouche was rather not interesting as they served chicken formosa and deep fried stuff that Indian spices.

We ordered foie gras and lobster for starters. Very well prepared. For mains, we had pigeons and pork, equally good. But desserts that we ordered, chocolate cake and bread & butter pudding were below par and disappointing ending to generally a good dinner.

I would rate this restaurant a 3.5 star.

1  Thank H118
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As i discovered it gives the chef an evening off, so you get the same priced menu but cooked by a sous chef and food that is one day older - I may be 50 but I guess I will never learn.

Interesting twists inlcude an appertiser before you see the menu - no menu on display ourside and a piece of bread that is served with the starter and cleared with dessert.

I booked here because of all the great reviews and can only comment on the sous chefs cooking which was very poor - overcooked fish, sauces not reduced properly and a lack of seasoning mean that they are not destined for the heights of the restaurant world. Lovely service and pretty room and an outside area that will be great when the decking is finished mean that the jury is out but I would not return and recommend to fellow dinners (all 8 of us this Monday) to avoid and the restaurant to shut its doors like most decent restaurants - especially if there is no hotel attached.Thumbs down and a disapppointed diner!

CharlesBarrier, Responsable commercial at Restaurant Charles Barrier, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Hello

We read your comments and we are sorry that your experience in our restaurant has disappointed you.

It is certainly a negligence on our part and we understand your disappointment.

We invite you to come again and we will make every effort to ensure this does not happen again.

Best regards

The Charles Barrier team

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ate at Charles Barrier with our children on a two-day stop over in Tours.
The restaurant is situated 1km from the north bank of the Loire and central Tours.
If you are staying in Tours, take a taxi as the road structure to and from the restaurant isn't straightforward.
We were the first to arrive (19:30 booking on a Saturday night), and there was no one around at all. I had to walk into the kitchen to say hello and introduce ourselves.
Otherwise, the room itself is formal, elegant and the well-spaced table arrangement is great. Not noisy, very comfortable and pleasant.
The staff were impeccable and the service throughout was even-paced and very attentive.
In terms of the food, the portions were not small or too large.
Excellent cuisine with taste and flavour - typically high-calibre French and not old fashioned or too modern. Very pleased with our choices and were not disappointed one bit.
My children enjoyed their food too.
Great wine selection, plenty of local selections - Chenin Blanc to the extreme!
Really pleased we visited. It is expensive - but we felt reassured by this.
Would recommend and visit again.
Thank you to Charles Barrier.

1  Thank RUSS1602
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This restaurant evidently has a Michelin star but I'm not sure why. It was a lovely dining room and they did provide outstanding service. But the food was nothing that is memorable. It sounded interesting but tasted bland. My husband had the Gourmand menu which was a number of small courses. All were served with a minimum of sauce or dressing. All the sauces were so subtle they became not memorable. I am having trouble remembering what I had. Oh yes, a red mullet appetizer with a bland sauce and 2 very small pieces of veal which were not all that tender accompanied by a smear of bland sauce. The only really memorable part was my husband's Grand Marnier souffle for dessert. We went here to celebrate a major birthday for my husband but left a lot poorer and not very happy.