“A bit shabby”

Best Western Central Hotel
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Tours
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This hotel could stand a few upgrades, starting with replacing the beds which sagged and were very uncomfortable. The room was clean, the bathroom was modern and very clean. The individual room air conditioning unit is a big plus. My biggest complaint has to do with the parking (at 10 Euros a day). It is extremely tight. When we arrived back at the hotel after a day of touring, the parking lot was full and there were several trucks hogging up a good deal of space. When we inquired at the front desk, they told us we were on our own to find other parking. We waited until one of the trucks moved. In the meantime, I dented the rental car trying to maneuver in the limited space. We were not happy with this lack of service.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2010

The location is good, the staff are friendly, the room was a reasonable size, though a bit dark and old-fashioned, the bed was comfortable, the aircon was individual to the room and worked reasonably well, the flat-screen TV had three channels in English and the bathroom was big, with decent mirrors. Breakfast is certainly not worth 13 euros (cheese only in foil wraps!), though it's convenient and the breakfast room/small garden is a nice place to eat it. A big plus is free wi-fi in the rooms - very unusual in France. The garage was being rebuilt, so guests had to squeeze their cars into the small enclosed area in front of the hotel. This could be tricky, but the reception staff went out of their way to help with parking. On the whole, a positive experience, though not cheap, and Tours is a good base for visiting chateaux (Valencay was our favourite).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank src1948
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed with our 6 month old in this hotel and from the outset were delighted with this hotel. The hotel organised a super baby sitter for us prior to our arrival and responded to our (many) emails very quickly. Staff on reception had a great sense of humour and were very helpful and friendly. I had to re-arrange some furniture to set up the baby feeding /sterilising area and housekeeping managed to clean the room without upsetting this. The room itself was a good size for a French hotel, and the bathroom was large.A travel cot was already set up for us, and baby blanked provided after we asked for it. they even heated up the baby food for us. All in all a great success and we hope to return. Parking was €10 per day but worth it as it was just outside the door.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Katy G
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The door to our "room" opened onto a small bedroom with a single bed. There were two doors off of this. One to the adult bedroom with a very large bed and one onto an enormous bathroom that contained a spa bath in one corner, a shower in another, two basins and a toilet.The best bathroom I have ever been in. The hotel's website photos were probably taken here. It was great to have a separate room for our daughter so that she could go to sleep without complaining about the light or the noise from the TV.
The rooms had electric shutters (which have been mentioned elsewhere), lovely chandeliers and the strange long bolster cushion on the bed, which we swapped for the pillows in the wardrobe.
Breakfast was fine. As in most of the hotels we stayed at, children are not charged for breakfast, which increases the value. A sign mentioned that the staff would cook you eggs if you wanted them but we found more than enough to eat with the cold meats and cheeses. There is a pod coffee machine and there are about 15 flavours to choose from.
The hotel is close to the shopping area and restaurants. I have read somewhere that it is 200m from the train station, but it felt further, especially with luggage!
Didn't really deal with the staff, so can't comment on that. However, the tourist office is excellent

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mjjHobart
Reviewed December 6, 2009

My wife and I arrived for 3 days to explore the Loire Valley. The lady at the front reception was wonderful and friendly with a voice that I will never forget. Our room was modern and clean yet traditional in decor. The breakfast was nothing special but it was convenient. We booked the room on line and were happy with the price. We found staying here, driving the Loire and returning late in the day was a good idea for us. Tours is a very nice city, the hotel is a minute walk from the city core.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We had booked two rooms for an overnight stay in Tours. I normally use Best Westerns as they are a reliable chain and charge for the room and not per person so no horrible single supplements or cupboards to stay in.

When we arrived the girl on the desk was very friendly, but did not speak much English, although she knew some. This was OKs I like practicing my French. I suspect she would have spoken more English if I wasn’t able to speak any French.

She explained that one room had a bath and one had a shower. I went for the room with the shower and my friend for the one with the bath.

When we got upstairs, it tuned out that mine room had a tiny bathroom with a shower in it. There was a separate toilet in a cupboard on the other side of the room. My friend had a huge bathroom off of his room and there was a shower over the bath.

This was an old hotel building which I think they are in the process of modernising. In my friend’s room the bathroom, whilst having modern fittings, looked like it had always been apart of the room, whereas mine had clearly been added recently.

In his room the window shutters were electrically operated, in mine they were manual. He had a safe, I did not. The furnishings in both rooms were of an older design. The lighting in the bathrooms was bright, but in the rooms themselves it was dim giving a slightly dingy feeling.

There is a small lift that has been added recently, although we sued the stairs. The corridors are quite dingy, but lights come on as you walk along them.

The rooms were clean but smelt a bit musty. The TV was modern and had English stations including the BBC, but the picture quality was not that good.

The bed was comfortable, but had a bolster rather than pillows although there were pillows in the wardrobe. It was clean although there was a black mark the sheet at the bolster end.

I had some other minor niggles. The soap dispenser was empty , the toilet flush continued to run unless you wiggled the press button each time you used it by lifting it out of the cistern and wiggling it and the shower door dripped on to the floor when you opened it to get out making it quite wet.

The hotel is quite noisy with gurgling plumbing and people moving abut all night opening and closing doors. I also had a family of elephants staying in the room above who stomped about and used their bath and toilet for most of the night.

The hotel had free Wi-Fi which worked very well in the rooms. Just ask for a user name and password from Reception.

It has undercover parking at €10 per day.

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and pointed out on a map of the town which they provide where all the restaurants were. We went to Chez Gérad in the la rue du Grand Marché which was very good and then went to the La Bigouden crêperie in the le vieux-tours.

Don’t bother with the breakfast. As with most Best Westerns it is expensive at €13 a head and not worth the money.

In summary, this hotel is OK for a one night stay, but is not one of Best Western’s better offering.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank wolf1234
Reviewed September 10, 2009

No one in our group particularly liked this hotel. Dated, frumpy, but with some attractive touches (bathroom lighting, nice tile in the shower.) Our rooms were all small. Very small. If I had anything larger than a 22" rollerbag I could not have opened it in the room. As it was, had to put the bag on desk chair. "Closet" was 18" amoire, but with nice mirrored doors. Staff was okay, but not helpful. Breakfast was included in my rate, but friends only ate there one day as it was not worth the 12 euro price they had to pay. Scrambled eggs and sausage were the only hot foods, and they were not good.

The 3-bulb track light in my bathroom flickered on and off for the entire 3 nights ranging from almost total darkness to bright, bright light. I put the desk lamp on the floor to see to shower. Complaints to the desk went unheeded. Overhead lighting was an attractive chandelier, bedside lighting nice.The window, though new, had some sort of defect and kept blowing open in the slightest wind. In fact it was open when I first arrived at the room which should have been a clue. Internet was slo-o-o-w,, but free.

There is a notebook in the lobby showing accurate photos of all the hotel rooms. Check it out beforehand. Location is great, parking is available. That's about it. If it hadn't been pre-paid and only $100 (dollars, not euro) breakfast included I would have not stayed the 3 nights. I really did not care for this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends