“From happiness to disappointment”

Grand Hotel de Tours
Ranked #16 of 88 Hotels in Tours
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for four nights. The staff were friendly and everything was okay in the first two nights. The shower was very weak but then I thought it was like a budget hotel so I shouldn't ask for too much.
Problems came on the third night. When I was taking my shower with shampoo all over my head, there was suddenly no hot water and after a while the shower just kind of got detached and came flying towards my face. Putting up with the cold water I complained to the hotel and I was told the problem would be fixed tomorrow.
The forth night, the light on the ceiling didn't work and the room was kind of dark. I told the reception and was told the problem would be fixed when I was out. But when I returned nothing was changed, so I went the reception again and I was told the guy didn't find any problem and the receptionist couldn't be bothered to ask me for clarification when she saw me returning. Anyway I took the guy to my room to have a look, but was told he couldn't fix the problem because he didn't
know which switch controlled the light. I honestly didn't see the relevance to changing a light bulb to the switch but since he said there was nothing he could do, I had to stay in the dark for one night.
Maybe it was my bad luck? I don't know. I think the staff were generally helpful people but the last two nights freaked me out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Ludivine C, Commerciale at Grand Hotel de Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write a comment on Tripadvisor.

Following your complaint on this website about your stay in our hotel, we would like apologize about it and try to find an answer to your discontent. To clarify the situation, could you tell us what room were you in?It will be easier to find answers.

Despite its inconvenience, we hope that you will not keep a poor memory of our establishment and to excuse us of these nuisances we would be happy to receive again and to suggest you one of our superior room.

Best regards

Mlle Contreau Ludivine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

City centre location.Walking distance to the pedestrian area of Plumereau (old town) and Rue Nationale (shopping area).This hotel is opposite the train station which is perfect for excursions to the castles of the river Loire. It´s a few meters from the bus station where the bus from the airport stops. The staff is friendly and the rooms are renovated. I would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludivine C, Commerciale at Grand Hotel de Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment.

You are right, the Grand Hotel de Tours is the ideal departure point for visiting the Loire Valley Castles. Also, our hotel is ideally located in the heart of the city (10 min walking), near the train station and bus stop to the airport.

Thanks a lot for your warm encouragement to our team.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

When staying in a hotel I have five priorities: 1) CLEANLINESS (well-maintained and spotlessly clean with no odors), 2) COMFORTABLE NIGHT’S REST (firm mattress, crisp cotton sheets, air conditioning in summer/adequate heat in winter and no noise from the street or neighboring rooms), 3) CENTRALLY LOCATED (near public transport and restaurants), 4) SAFETY (secure doors to the room, front desk manned 24/7 and located in a walkable & safe neighborhood), and 5) VALUE (reasonable price for services offered). I found the Grand Hotel de Tours exceeded my expectations and scored extremely well on all items on my priority list. Some of the criticism of this hotel by others on this site are extremely petty and small. To me it’s just "noise". I'd like to see someone write a review of THEIR house! True, this hotel is older (1930’s) but it has “good bones”, is well-maintained, has an excellent central location and is extremely comfortable with beautiful art deco touches. The price I paid for my amply-sized room was astonishingly low and included their abundant breakfast buffet. They offer air conditioning, extremely large rooms, a full-size bath tub and free WIFI. The front desk staff (especially the delightful Murielle) were all exceptional, very helpful and professional. All-in-all I say this hotel is doing everything right and has a bright future. Their ranking among other hotels in Tours is certain to rise. Excellent and highly reccommended!

Room Tip: By booking directly on their website you can take advantage of exceptional savings.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mascalzone

Dear customer,

We thank you very much for all these positive comments about our establishment.

We communicate all your warm encouragement to all of our team and especially to Muriel who is currently on holidays.

Our young and dynamic team try to answer to all our customer's needs during all the day.

You are right, sometimes it can be noise but our hotel has an ideal situation in the heart of the city near train station and tourism office and offer quality services (delicious breakfast, font desk 24/24, seminars etc...).

As you mentioned, every guest can find the best deals on our website.

We renew our thank and hope to welcome you again.

Mlle Ludivine CONTREAU

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had a very nice and comfortable 3 nights stay at this hotel. Breakfast was very good with pancakes and good coffee. Room ("Classique") was small but clean and OK. Friendly and helpfull staff. Would surely come again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your comment.

The team of the Grand Hotel Tours try to respond with efficiency and courtesy to all our customers' requests.

We offer an excellent buffet breakfast with coffee, chocolate, selection of teas, juices, breads and pastries, fresh fruit basket, dried fruit, fruit salad, selection of cheeses, yogurt, deli tray and eggs to taste.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your classic room.

Looking forward to welcoming you again,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Well located, with easy access to anywhere in town.
Personnel really nice at the Reception.
Some things missing from the bedroom but some quickly catered for once I requested it.
Internet connection rather poor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludivine C, Responsable commercial at Grand Hotel de Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Cassandra,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment.

The Grand Hotel Tours is two steps from the station and located in the city center so you can also discover easily the historic area of Tours (10 min walk).

Our team is available to answer the different needs of our customers.

As we checked directly with you, we fixed the wifi connection and it’s working well everywhere.

Ludivine

Reviewed June 27, 2013

A very big hotel, reception staff always friendly and helpful. The walls are a bit thin as you could hear doors closing really loudly and somethimes people moving about above you. I was on the same floor as the breakfast room and you could hear people talking, we were not that close to the breakfast room either. Beds were a bit hard and pillows in my room shocking. I woke up with a sore neck every day I was there. Toiletries leave a lot to be desirerd, just a soap dispenser in shower and same at wash basin, supposed to be for your hair and a body wash ! No conditioner in sight. I tried the "shampoo" one morning and my hair wasn't really washed very well, must be very cheap shampoo. I would stay here again as the location just outside the train station and very close to the Tourist Office was brilliant. There is also a supermartket next door.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
debroglie, Responsable commercial at Grand Hotel de Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment.

For security reasons servants doors closing doors so for example you do not regain your room open when you are back.
About the soap, we contact our supplier and he confirm us the good quality of our hair and body wash.
We are surprised to see your comment on your bed because our beds were changed this year. Of course we have chosen premium bedding.
As you say, the Grand Hotel Tours is conveniently located in the city center in order to discover all the city on foot.

Ludivine Contreau

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for only one night during our Loire Valley Tour.

We booked it online based on price.
The hotel has several types of rooms, we took a standard double room while the friends we were traveling with took an upgraded version. Our room was very small and simple but comfortable and clean. Their room was huge with a huge double bathroom, very nice but also more expensive.

The hotel has no parking, but a private parking is just in front of the hotel and you can get a discount for the parking from the reception.

It has a great location - few minutes walk from town center.

Good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
debroglie, Responsable commercial at Grand Hotel de Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment.
The Grand Hotel de Tours is the ideal departure point for visiting the Loire Valley Castles.
We offer the best deals on the hotel website.
We suggest several kind of rooms ranging from Classic Room to the Winston Churhill Suite, and family rooms, adapted to your budget.
We have a special rate with the secure Vinci parking few meters ago from the hotel.
Located in the city center you can also discover the historic area of Tours (10 min walk).

Ludivine Contreau