“Noisy, poor quality room”
Review of Hotel George Sand

Hotel George Sand
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Loches
Lauzerte, France
“Noisy, poor quality room”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Up two floors of a rather dangerous spiral staircase, this room was up in the ceiling space of an old building. It is old and tired, the only redeeming feature being the view up to the castle atop the hill. There was no sound-proofing at all between the adjoining room and we could hear what the neighbours were doing in their bathroom and bedroom. The toilet leaked. At least the bed linen was clean, although the carpet was not. Nothing to recommend this place at all and certainly not worth the 70euro per night asked (without breakfast). Having said that we looked at most of the hotels in Loches and none of them were much better!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Of four and half weeks we spent travelling northern France, this hotel was our worst experience. We were given a room "facing the river" which had skylights so you could not see it. Said skylights were open and the room was full of flies - probably because of the smell coming from the bathroom (which had a hole in the wall).
The story of trying to get a telephone which worked has become anectdotal with a Fawtly Towers farce of the receptionist plugging a different phone into our room and then running out "saying that will work". I suggested she try it before leaving, to which she replied in French "Do I look like an engineer?"
The next morning we said we were going out for breakfast and would return to pay. She replied "I don't believe you". Eventually I said I would post a negative review on the internet. She replied "Why should I care". That's the short version.
There was a restaurant but it was closed. I went down to ask help with working internet and the tv at 7pm, reception was closed and in darkness and the hotel was locked.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linmaf

Travelers are raving about these Loches hotels

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 16, 2011

George Sand Hotel's most interesting quality is their location on a beautiful little river which you can see in this photo. What they do NOT show you is that you are not allowed to eat on the river during the morning breakfast which you have to pay EXTRA for - you have to eat in an unattractive dining room and merely dream about how beautiful it would be if one were on the river ...
This hotel COULD have the potential to be great, but seriously misses the target. The bedspreads were as old as the hotel itself, tiles were falling off the walls, the rope leading up the spiral stone staircase was so crusted with dirt I took my chances falling down the stairs and didn't touch it ~ in essence it lacked the special touches that makes a hotel a home away from home.
The rooms, when the breakfast was added in were not cheap at all when I compared it to the others we visited during this visit to the Loire.
I woke my family up at 7am, ate the overpriced breakfast and we checked out first thing in the morning and sadly will never return.
There are several other beautiful choices in Loches - keep hunting and HOPEFULLY the owner will take a fresh look at his hotel and spruce it up because it does have potential.

Room Tip: You can find better value to price elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gloucester
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed for two nights whilst buying wine in Vouvray & Sancerre. My second visit and I liked it better this time. Location is easy to find and close to the town centre and its varied restaurants, castle, nightlife if you want that. I ate at the hotel both nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast was good. Staff attentive and speak English if pushed. Room was street-side and no air-con - so a bit noisy. Needed to buy an air freshener to clear the odour left by the previous (obviously French) resident. I shall carry one with me an all future trips to France.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed July 12, 2010

the room we got was really pretty, very romantic, quintessentially french. basic but charming, situated in the loft. very quiet place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Selima
Wales
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Complelely agree with 'daviesbagrie'. Girl and older man at reception (owner?) indifferent, even when I showed them my sprained ankle and explained how difficult I would find the stairs. Some sympathy was all I wanted but all I got was a shrug. How different from our previous hotel where the owner got me ice and lent me a stick. Room at front small and tired with an awful bathroom - a bath you could only sit in and the 'shower' was just a hair washing attachment to the taps. Ate in restaurant. Very expensive, all in French, dozy inefficient waitress. She got our wine order wrong and muddled up how we wanted our steaks cooked. Food average, not as good as expected. Be warned - the 'profiterole' for dessert is a Danish pastry filled with ice cream, with caramel custard and squirty cream. Coffee OK. I asked for milk, it didn't come. Breakfast had reasonable choice (should be, for the price). Disappointed we couldn't sit on terrace, which was already laid for dinner - lazy.
To sum up: this could be a lovely hotel as the setting is great and it is very conveniently situated. It just needs some time and effort put into it (being old is not an excuse - we have stayed in Tudor hotles in UK), and the staff need to show they care about their customers. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Good clean place, plenty of parking and helpful people. If in the area would recommend and this would be the first place to check if available.

The restaurant is excellent, get there early because the place filled up quickly. Menu is in french only and contains mainly local items, it was one of the better meals I had on this trip. Get a seat in the back if you can get a seat overlooking the river.

Skipped paying extra for the breakfast and just went next door for some rolls and fruit juice as I hit the road.
Plan some time to explore the city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank AmericanInEurope02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loches
Logis Luccotel
Camping la Citadelle
Camping la Citadelle
#2 of 2 in Loches
Les Troglos de Beaulieu

Been to Hotel George Sand? Share your experiences!