“Add our voice to the raves about Diderot!”
Review of Hotel Diderot

and 1 more site!
Hotel Diderot
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Anchorage, Alaska
“Add our voice to the raves about Diderot!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We just finished our second of two nights at Hotel Diderot in Chinon. This cozy spot is everything that the positive reviewers have said it is. The value is tremendous. We walked from the hotel to dinner, through the medieval town, and up to the fortress, through wet cobblestoned streets. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Boubie, the cat, and the welcoming family and staff.

Room Tip: We were in the basic room #8 facing Rue Diderot on the second floor. It was quiet. The view out t...
1 Thank AlaskanSon
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Bonjour AlaskanSon,
Boubi the cat is always happy to know that customers talk about it in their reports.
Many Boubi's fan, keep in memory a small mark or scratch tooth! and no one will angry with him!
For the rest we are delighted that you enjoyed the beautiful medieval town of Chinon, where every moment is discovery!
You had one of the smallest room of the hotel, overlooking the garden of our neighbor. You keep good experience,of your visit with us and we thank you very much.
Best regards
Laurent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this marvellous hotel. The family who run it are so friendly and welcoming.
We had a lovely clean comfortable room on the first floor with a beautiful view of the courtyard. Breakfast is really fantastic! Laurent was happy to show us how to mix the fresh goats cheese, honey and cracked walnuts which was delicious on toast. There was a very generous basket of toast, rolls and pastries and a huge range of homemade jams that we were encouraged to try. It was very pleasant having a drink in the courtyard before we wandered into Chinon for dinner. A great base for exploring the Loire valley.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FionaD57
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Bonjour FionaD57

On behalf of all my assistants, I thank you for the kindness of your message.
We are always happy to share with you our best local products, give you our best address, as you would for us if we were in Queensland.
See you soon, in any case, our doors will always be open.
Surrey
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We spent 2 nights in this charming hotel earlier this week. We had requested a refurbished room, based upon recommendations on Trip Advisor, and were delighted with room 14 on the first floor. The breakfast was very good - goats cheese, honey and walnuts with a great basket of breads/croissants to accompany their superb jams. The owners and staff are all very friendly and helpful and I cannot fault this hotel. I know some people have made negative comments about the parking but if you already know that there are a limited number of spaces - and we parked on site both nights - and that it is locked at 9pm it is not a problem. Why would you want to drive in the evening when all of Chinon is within walking distance of the hotel? When in Chinon again we would stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Cher TontoNorth
Thank you for your positive review, it goes straight to my heart.
As almost all of our travelers, you've read the reports on Tripadvisor. You could see by yourself the reality of our small hotellerie.
You rightly note that our small pay parking is not a problem because there are 50 free parking places at 20 meters and again we are 5 minutes walk from the city center.
Merci beaucoup! for your testimony
See you next time in Chinon
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Warm welcoming family run hotel which was an absolute delight. We stayed 2 nights, the first night in the main house and the second in the courtyard; both were very clean and comfortable. Best of all, definitely get the breakfast here! There is an amazing assortment of homemade jams and beautiful local produce such as fresh goats cheese, honey, crack your own walnuts and fruit salad.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonsoir Travelbug956,
You said everything!
You understand all!
You still have to visit the other 21 bedrooms!
We look forward to welcome you again with great pleasure
We love you for that Australians Friends
sincerely
California
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We spent two nights here and can see why it is the number one hotel in Chinon. What I don’t understand is why it is only rated two stars. Our room was small but accommodating and quiet; the bathroom, large, immaculate and up to date. Sitting outside in the evening sipping a glass of wine before heading off to dinner was a real treat. Breakfast is elegant in it’s simplicity; I still dream about the jams, the rustic breads, goat cheese and the creamy yogurt. Laurent and his family are the perfect hosts. I will make it a point to visit Chinon again in the future, if for nothing else but to stay at Hotel Diderot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank danish07
Bonsoir Danish07
Like many people, you booked your room, following comments from other customers,
You saw that we deserve more than 2 stars, that's right, and to be honest with you at the last control, we got three stars, we have refused, because there is 4 rooms that are not yet renovated.
We are honest with you, as with all of you.
We want to keep it simple, close in contact and relationships with our guests.
It may be that the "luxury" of our home: simplicity.
Thank you very much, not dreaming jams, come all eat!
Laurent your jam maker
Salisbury
Reviewed October 14, 2013

........ mostly I see from our American friends. However I would still recommend for various reasons. Booked online and very efficient including a detailed map (necessary as the old part of Chinon is complicated) of how to find the hotel. It is an old characterful building close to the centre of Chinon and within walking distance of restaurants etc. Beautifully french with a very pretty seating area in front. The family were very helpful and efficient and we had booked a better room in order to get a 5ft bed. The room was quite small but comfortable, well decorated (in that slightly old fashioned french way) and very clean with a new spacious bathroom with a good shower over the bath and separate loo. The hotel has a small bar but no dining room but we had a wonderful meal at La Part des Anges which we'd pre booked and which is within easy walking distance (see TA reviews). The breakfast room is very pretty and we were surrounded by different and interesting jams and encouraged to try the local goats cheese, walnut (crack your own!) and honey. I was not impressed by the 7.50 euro charge for parking, although in an old crowded town it was helpful.
I think 2 stars is about right and as an overnight stop from ferry to the Dordogne it was ideal. A good place to explore all the Loire region has to offer if you are on a budget and have more time, but if you want the chateau hotel experience then go somewhere else and pay double.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a better room,
1 Thank hollySalisbury
Bonsoir HollySalisbury
A very big thank to you for having selected our home for your stay in Chinon and for the comments you have posted on our hotel.
You are satisfied from the quality of our home and our services, and I am happy to share this with my team.
See you next time on on the road to the Dordogne !
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel was booked for us by a tour company. I had explicitly asked for only 3 and 4 star hotels, and to be fair, this is only a two star hotel. It's not the hotel's fault that it wasn't what I was expecting. Also, when I judge a place, it matters how much I paid - and if it was very inexpensive and pretty nice, I would be a lot happier than very expensive and pretty nice. However, since this was booked for me, I don't know what I actually paid for this hotel, so my rating may be a little unfair.

We had a room on the third floor. Antique decor that seemed like a lot of thought went into it. The bathrooms were modern which is nice. However, our shower was plugged up, but I didn't know until I began my shower. I had to turn off the shower and wait maybe 4 or 5 minutes for the water to go down. I did this three or four times to be able to complete my shower. When I got out I called the front desk. We waited for someone to come up. She looked at it and asked us to wait again. We waited about 40 minutes but did not hear back, so my husband jumped in the shower (and had to do the turn on/turn off the water) as we wanted to see the town before dark. The whole shower issue delayed us getting out by at least an hour, and we had very limited time due to the hour at which we arrived. That is not the hotel's fault entirely, but you don't really expect to run across something like the shower not working.

The bed was small, maybe its a double, but not a queen. The bedding was acceptable, but not as nice as other places, or what I was expecting. Again, perhaps its just that my expectations were higher given my requests to the tour company, and that is not the fault of the hotel. I don't know how much we paid for this place.

It is a charming, very pretty little hotel. Everyone else raves about the service, and we only encountered the service in relation to the shower, which was not the best experience. We only stayed one night.

Breakfast had many, many homemade jams which were very good. The goat cheese was also very good. My husband would have liked a little more variety in food (there was a variety of jam), but what they did serve was very good.

2 Thank rlsybrandy
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Madame Rlscalifornia,
You're absolutely right, we are actually a small family hotel 2 stars. and the price for your room is two times cheaper than a 3 or 4 star hotel!
I well understand your disappointment, I who, during 20 years working in the finest hotels in the world. I'm not talking about flashy hotels, but those who received the discreet luxury...
Indeed, after almost 40 minutes, I had access to your shower (during your dinner) and I could lead easily the drain.
The most important for me is that you keep a good memory of us, the kindness of our staff.
Laurent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinon
Chateau de Marcay
Domaine de la Tortiniere
Hotel de Biencourt
Hotel de Biencourt
#1 of 10 in Azay-le-Rideau

Been to Hotel Diderot? Share your experiences!