“A True Gem”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
California
“A True Gem”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We spent two nights here and can see why it is the number one hotel in Chinon. What I don’t understand is why it is only rated two stars. Our room was small but accommodating and quiet; the bathroom, large, immaculate and up to date. Sitting outside in the evening sipping a glass of wine before heading off to dinner was a real treat. Breakfast is elegant in it’s simplicity; I still dream about the jams, the rustic breads, goat cheese and the creamy yogurt. Laurent and his family are the perfect hosts. I will make it a point to visit Chinon again in the future, if for nothing else but to stay at Hotel Diderot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank danish07
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Bonsoir Danish07
Like many people, you booked your room, following comments from other customers,
You saw that we deserve more than 2 stars, that's right, and to be honest with you at the last control, we got three stars, we have refused, because there is 4 rooms that are not yet renovated.
We are honest with you, as with all of you.
We want to keep it simple, close in contact and relationships with our guests.
It may be that the "luxury" of our home: simplicity.
Thank you very much, not dreaming jams, come all eat!
Laurent your jam maker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salisbury
Reviewed October 14, 2013

........ mostly I see from our American friends. However I would still recommend for various reasons. Booked online and very efficient including a detailed map (necessary as the old part of Chinon is complicated) of how to find the hotel. It is an old characterful building close to the centre of Chinon and within walking distance of restaurants etc. Beautifully french with a very pretty seating area in front. The family were very helpful and efficient and we had booked a better room in order to get a 5ft bed. The room was quite small but comfortable, well decorated (in that slightly old fashioned french way) and very clean with a new spacious bathroom with a good shower over the bath and separate loo. The hotel has a small bar but no dining room but we had a wonderful meal at La Part des Anges which we'd pre booked and which is within easy walking distance (see TA reviews). The breakfast room is very pretty and we were surrounded by different and interesting jams and encouraged to try the local goats cheese, walnut (crack your own!) and honey. I was not impressed by the 7.50 euro charge for parking, although in an old crowded town it was helpful.
I think 2 stars is about right and as an overnight stop from ferry to the Dordogne it was ideal. A good place to explore all the Loire region has to offer if you are on a budget and have more time, but if you want the chateau hotel experience then go somewhere else and pay double.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a better room,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hollySalisbury
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Bonsoir HollySalisbury
A very big thank to you for having selected our home for your stay in Chinon and for the comments you have posted on our hotel.
You are satisfied from the quality of our home and our services, and I am happy to share this with my team.
See you next time on on the road to the Dordogne !
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel was booked for us by a tour company. I had explicitly asked for only 3 and 4 star hotels, and to be fair, this is only a two star hotel. It's not the hotel's fault that it wasn't what I was expecting. Also, when I judge a place, it matters how much I paid - and if it was very inexpensive and pretty nice, I would be a lot happier than very expensive and pretty nice. However, since this was booked for me, I don't know what I actually paid for this hotel, so my rating may be a little unfair.

We had a room on the third floor. Antique decor that seemed like a lot of thought went into it. The bathrooms were modern which is nice. However, our shower was plugged up, but I didn't know until I began my shower. I had to turn off the shower and wait maybe 4 or 5 minutes for the water to go down. I did this three or four times to be able to complete my shower. When I got out I called the front desk. We waited for someone to come up. She looked at it and asked us to wait again. We waited about 40 minutes but did not hear back, so my husband jumped in the shower (and had to do the turn on/turn off the water) as we wanted to see the town before dark. The whole shower issue delayed us getting out by at least an hour, and we had very limited time due to the hour at which we arrived. That is not the hotel's fault entirely, but you don't really expect to run across something like the shower not working.

The bed was small, maybe its a double, but not a queen. The bedding was acceptable, but not as nice as other places, or what I was expecting. Again, perhaps its just that my expectations were higher given my requests to the tour company, and that is not the fault of the hotel. I don't know how much we paid for this place.

It is a charming, very pretty little hotel. Everyone else raves about the service, and we only encountered the service in relation to the shower, which was not the best experience. We only stayed one night.

Breakfast had many, many homemade jams which were very good. The goat cheese was also very good. My husband would have liked a little more variety in food (there was a variety of jam), but what they did serve was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rlsybrandy
Madame Rlscalifornia,
You're absolutely right, we are actually a small family hotel 2 stars. and the price for your room is two times cheaper than a 3 or 4 star hotel!
I well understand your disappointment, I who, during 20 years working in the finest hotels in the world. I'm not talking about flashy hotels, but those who received the discreet luxury...
Indeed, after almost 40 minutes, I had access to your shower (during your dinner) and I could lead easily the drain.
The most important for me is that you keep a good memory of us, the kindness of our staff.
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A much anticipated holiday with friends became even more enjoyable when we checked into the Hotel Diderot. From the gracious welcome we received to our well-appointed rooms, and the friendly atmosphere, we could not have been more pleased. Françoise and Martine were very helpful in securing reservations at some lovely restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. They helped us plan our daily excursions and were there to welcome us back to the hotel with a glass of wine on the patio before we went out for the evening. Homemade jams with our breakfasts were an added treat. Our trip to the Loire Valley was everything we hoped it would be and more thanks to our delightful hosts, their staff, and their beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Book early. This hotel is such a gem that you must plan ahead to be able to secure accommodations.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robin S
Bonjour Robin S
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your stay with us. It is with great pleasure that we receive your compliments and we share your comments with my syster and our team. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward.
Waiting to welcome you again here in Chinon, the little paradise.
Oregon, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The garden room is a delight. We very much enjoyed the breakfast. The garden room has a lovely sitting area in front of it. The only downside was we had bought a bottle of wine to enjoy before bed, and we were told this was not allowed. We understand that the lovely walls that are covered in fabric would not mix with wine. But though they served wine, it was the only not nice thing. The hotel itself and people that run it are charming. They do sell drinks to purchase, it was just that we were on bikes and had no desire to carry the wine to the next place. The place is bike friendly. All in all a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: The garden room is charming, no TV, but while on vacation who needs it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YogaFoodFan
Bonjour YogaFoodFan,
A big thank you for choosing us, among all the hotels in Chinon ....

This delightful little room without TV, but full of books, was the house of the gardener, we have kept in mind, and the decor walls floral fabric is very fragile, which is why we asked you to be careful ... . Simple caution.
For the sale of wine, we have a bar, which is part of busness.
But I'm sure that you come back to see us, if you pass in the region.
best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. We have just spent a week with Laurent and his family - our second viit this year. Its location on the edge of Chinon is convenient and tranquil, the courtyard is a delight and the slightly quirky breakfast is delicious!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Margaret
It is impossible to forget you, your kindness, your smile, your humor ... however you had the smallest room of the hotel. All this will make, that we keep in our memory, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
thank you very much for being so kind to us.
Martine, Francoise et Laurent
Bartlett, Tennessee
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We recently had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Diderot. The room was spacious. The bathroom was larger and nicer than other places with higher ratings. The garden patio and flowers were absolutely picturesque. The breakfast was delicious and a deal. But what makes this place so special are the staff. They make you feel at home and well taken care of. What a delight! We would recommend it to everyone and hope to go back ourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy H
LD4CHINON, Owner at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Betsy H,
If the hotel is a gem .... you are part of this jewel, you who posts after posts, share our lives, in our humble home during your stay in the Loire Valley.
Merci beaucoup !
Laurent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinon
Chateau de Marcay
Domaine de la Tortiniere
Hotel de Biencourt
Hotel de Biencourt
#1 of 10 in Azay-le-Rideau

Been to Hotel Diderot? Share your experiences!