“Charming family hotel”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
York, United Kingdom
“Charming family hotel”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is our favourite French hotel ever. It really is a family run hotel with personal attention and interest shown by all the staff. Lovely building, great breakfasts and a lovely, peaceful setting. It should definitely be at least 3-star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LD4CHINON, Propriétaire at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Cher Dave,
Thank you very much for a very nice word.
As you said so well, we are unpretentious, a family hotel in a nice house.
I am happy to count you as one of our fan!
your host
Laurent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was the fifth time, we had stayed here and as before, the owners and staff were as welcoming and helpful. I am a little over 2 meters tall so beds can present problems, particularly those with foot boards. On being shown our room, I realized the bed had a high foot board and would make sleeping difficult. Headed back to reception with the view of asking for another room, however before I reached there, Laurent one of the owners, saw me and before I could comment on the bed, said "the bed in your room it will be difficult for you, let me see what we can do" The result was another room with a bed more suited to me. This is the sought of service this hotel excels in. It is sited in a quiet area but with in easy walking distance of the shops/resturants and castle. Plus there is the very tasty jams to try with breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LD4CHINON, Propriétaire at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear William
How have we done to not recognize you in booking?
Fortunately we have recognized you at your arrival!
You forget to mention that some few doors are also very low, it is a remembrance of the 15th century!
Thank you very much, see you next year
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

we found this hotel just perfect , lovely garden , very relaxing & an easy walk to nearby restaurants in the town. The rooms are 4 star , the breakfasts are very good with their home made jams, worth paying for.
The staff are very friendly & willing to assist their guests.

Room Tip: they have lovely ground floor rooms opening onto a terrace , ideal for elderly guests
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bonjour avisit_12
Thank you very much, "the little gem" is a nice qualifier that I really like ... I remind you that we are in a 2 star hotel, and we are proud to bring to you at arm's length!
In fact, today we had a nice crop of plums, tomorrow, they will be cooked in good jams!
Your jam chef
Seattle
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of June. This hotel was exactly as I was expecting from reading all the reviews here on tripadvisor. We booked 2 rooms and I had noted in my reservation that we were a family of four. With a hotel this small and with how full they get I was not sure if we would get rooms next to each other but we were assigned 2 very lovely rooms (room 18 & 19) on the ground floor overlooking the terrace. First let me say something about the terrace, this place is heaven! They have turned this space into an incredible seating area. Beautifully landscaped, private, cozy and peacful. Yes, if you would like to enjoy the terrace then you must be buying something from the bar. That only seems fair to me because there are many rooms and only a few seats in this lovely outside space. Also I will point out that their drinks are so well priced that they are almost the same cost as bringing your own. Our rooms were very nice with good quality sheets, good furniture and interesting decorations. Better than what you would expect from a small family hotel. I enjoyed chatting with the owners and found all the staff to be very friendly and they seem to really enjoy running their hotel. When we arrived, the sound of our tires on the crushed gravel sent someone running to greet us, I found the service to be attentive and prompt throughout our stay. Next about the breakfast, we are not breakfast people so I initially told them no to breakfast. Boy am I glad we changed our minds and had breakfast both days. Sitting outside in the sun having those wonderful breads, cheese and jams was a real treat. Listen to Laurent when he tells you to mix your goat cheese with cracked walnuts and honey, he knows of what he speaks. You cannot find a better start to your day than breakfast on a sunny day on the terrace of Hotel Diderot! Book your stay early if you hope to get a room. Thank you Hotel Diderot (and Boubi the cat) from my Seattle family of four.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cfemerton
LD4CHINON, Propriétaire at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Cher Cfemerton,
Voila, you have all said!, Your comment is very touching, and I see that you love all the little details.
We are and will remain a family home, a hotel without being a hotel, where time is stopped, for your pleasure.
For now Boubi the cat is injured after a fight with another cat ... but it will be in good shape for when you return.
Laurent, your host.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A very nice old hotel, charming, clean and delightful. Breakfast is very good with all the home-made jams and marmalades. A very good place to stay. Plenty to see within a short distance from Chinon, especially the local caves (wines).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LD4CHINON, Propriétaire at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Vic_Brinkworth
Here is another greedy customer who noticed the jams!
Also the fruit season started out, I made yesterday, cherries, rhubarb today, directly from the gardens of the family ....
Bon appetit
Your host
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel Diderot was the best place we stayed during our two weeks in France. The room was beautiful, cozy, and unique. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. And it was totally affordable. I can't recommend Hotel Diderot highly enough.

1 Thank Chris R
LD4CHINON, Propriétaire at Hotel Diderot, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Cher Chris R
I totally agree with you, my team is wonderful!
It is dificult in our time to find helpful people, who are very involved in the life of our little hotel,
I am delighted to share your report with her, because they are all women : Nathalie, Ophelie, Christele, Megane, Valerie, Heloise, Lara and the 3 siblings your hosts.
Best regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our hosts at Hotel Diderot were extremely helpful and friendly and made our stay wonderful! Our room looked brand new and was beautifully decorated with embroidered fabrics lining the walls, a large TV, nice furniture and books. The bed was very comfortable; the shower was excellent; and the room was a good size for two persons. The location is excellent. There is limited onsite parking that you can pay for, however, we were happy to leave our car in the car park that is 30 seconds walk away - we felt Chinon was a safe place to do this and had no problems. It is only a few minutes walk to the village centre and about 5-10minutes walk to a supermarket. We had the artisan breakfast one morning - it is worth even cent because all the produce is locally made, including the dozens of different jams on the tables that the hotel produces. The hotel is excellent value for money. We travel a lot and this is one of the places we would love to go back to.

Room Tip: We booked through a website - if you contact the hotel directly they can recommend different rooms t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinon
Chateau de Marcay
Le Haut des Lys
#1 of 4 in Villandry
Best Western Hotel De France
Domaine de la Tortiniere

Been to Hotel Diderot? Share your experiences!