“Very nice place and pleasant service”

Hostellerie Gargantua
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice place and pleasant service”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here in September 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were all lovely and helpful, especially Valerie who was so cheerful and lively. The hotel is in a central location, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the restaurant downstairs serves delicious food :-) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stumbled upon this place and I am so glad we did - the room was fantastic, the building is beautiful and full of medieval character. The rates are very reasonable for the standard of accommodation so I would definitely recommend it. Very helpful staff too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I agree with everything the previous reviewers have said. This hotel is really charming and the staff were all so kind. Unfortunately we arrived in the middle of a heat wave and our room was in the highest room in the tallest tower and there was no a/c. They lent us a fan but it was no contest against daytime temps in the 90s to 100s. Our son was sick and needed to see a doctor so our trip in the Loire valley was cut short. The hotel staff was very understanding and we would be happy to try the place again if we make it back to the Loire region some day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Thank you to the Hostellerie Gargantua! We stayed there for four nights and were very happy with the experience. Every proprietor we encountered was incredibly helpful and charming. My wife and I have VERY little French, but between our handful of phrases and the staff's command of English, everything went smoothly.

We had a few bottles of wine we wanted to store in a cooler place than our room, and they were happy to oblige us with a space in their fridge.

One thing I'd recommend: If you foresee hot weather, it would be useful to bring a small portable fan. An unexpected heat wave followed us into town, and while the outside temperature cooled off nicely at night, the cool air tended to stay outside our open window. A small fan would have brought that refreshing air inside.

Highly recommended--I'd stay there again!

Room Tip: Recommend a portable fan if you expect hot weather.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

this is a superbly charming and authentic hotel in the heart of Chinon. it is a short walk to the chateau and the quaint cobbled streets are all around. we stayed there with a 1 year old and a cot and high chair were provided (we did request them in advance). the rooms are a slice of history in themselves and each one is different - with its own eccentricities! the team that run the Gargantua could not do enough to make us feel welcome and at ease. if your french is a little rusty, mr and mme minot can be persuaded to talk english! the food is simple but delicious and i am sure you will leave with a full tummy. if you want an authentic stay in a real castle then this is for you. thankyou for having us - again!

Room Tip: rooms away from the front main square can be quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here in late June with a 2 year old and a 7 year old. We had a fantastic time and the owners and staff were very helpful. We actually had a car problem and they called the rental car company for me, had the car picked up, and arranged for me to get the car back. We will definitely come back again, not just for the beautiful hotel but for the ultra-helpful staff. Thank you Madame Minot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We didn't stay here! We did try hard though........
We arrived at Reception to see if they had a couple of Rooms. They did. They had several available. Could we see one please we asked? "NO" we were told. The Woman said she would go online at the Reception Desk and show us a picture of the Room!? Amazing! I turned to my Wife and commented that this experience was going to make an amazing write up on Trip Advisor......suddenly having overheard my comment (bit naughty of me to say it so loudly!) the Woman jumped up and said we could see the Room. It wasn't a Room....more akin to a first floor Dungeon........ We didn't stay - and here's the Review I promised myself and the Lady on Reception that day.......

Room Tip: Look at them before you book one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DDwilltravel
HotelGargantua, Propriétaire at Hostellerie Gargantua, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I notice with regret that the human wickedness can sometimes be without limit.
You show, dear Sir, well not enough respect. At first for the lady who welcomed you but also for all the customers who are satisfied and very satisfied, they are 92 % on trip advisor and we shall never thank them for it enough. But, may be our customers like sleeping in rooms which are not it...
The woman about whom you speak with so much contempt is my wife and also the owner of the establishment.
Do you really think, after seven business years to the Hostellerie gargantua, that you speak about Trip advisor made us "jump" ?
It seems necessary to re-specify what my wife said to you during your demand of rooms visit : "... The restaurant is open and being alone at present, I cannot show you rooms... " and, when I came back from my office ( after given its payslip to an employee), my wife then suggested you (not being alone any more) showing you rooms.
Was it so difficult to understand ?