“Hotel with character”

Hostellerie Gargantua
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Chinon
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed in the large room "Picrochole" which was pleasant with a good view. The hotel is located in a basically pedestrianised area which is very peaceful. There is no air conditioning or lift but this is usual in Chinon. There is no English language TV which unfortunately is becoming the norm for French hotels. Bath with shower but no curtain or screen. Had a good meal in the hotel's restaurant courtyard. I will be returning here when I next visit Chinon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We had never stayed in an old historic hotel before and found staying here was an adventure!The room was large and very "medieval".It is on a cobble stone pedestrian walkway leading to the center of town with loads of charm. I did hang my clothes in the huge old armoir---and forgot them totally!!! When I notified the hotel, the lady in charge, Célyne, sent them back to me to Canada. I really appreciated her service even after our stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The Hostellerie Gargantua is accessed through a very missable little alleyway that opens into a courtyard. We found it on the third pass. There is hotel parking for only three cars, each space protected by a barrier that has to be manually lowered and raised with a key. It isn't as old as the mighty fortress that looms above it, but the effect is the same. The room key must weigh a pound, steep stairs lead to the entry, and there is no elevator. This is either "atmosphere" or a problem, depending upon your mindset. Handicapped access would be almost impossible.

Ten months before our arrival, I received an email confirming our reservation for the "Badebec" room, which I had requested based on a Trip-Advisor review. Instead, we were given a different room, large enough, and clean, but with a view of the courtyard instead of the castle. I didn't complain, since the people seemed pleasant, and I don't spend much time looking out windows anyway.

We had dinner at their adjoining, and charming, outdoor restaurant that night, and the food and wine were quite good. The next night, a Wednesday, we decided to eat in the town, and noticed as we left that the hotel restaurant was closed, which seemed odd. We took breakfast in the hotel the next morning and I have to say the coffee was the best we'd had in France..

I managed to leave my camera battery, charger and adapter plugged into the wall of my room when we left -- nothing unusual for me -- and they were kind enough to put them in the mail to us.

If you go out the back of the hotel and turn right, a 10-minute stroll down an ancient car-and-a-half wiide street takes you into the heart of the old town, a cute square surrounded by outdoor eateries. We ended up at a place called "Tennessee" which served -- I'm not making this up -- Tex-Mex food to die for!

The fortress is accessed by a glass elevator right behind the square, and you can walk to it or drive, as you please. Fortress parking is plentiful. The fortress itself, which I've reviewed elsewhere, is one of the four or five highlights of our three weeks in Europe. All in all, for those who love history, Chinon and the nearby Fontvraud Abbey are not to be missed.

There are alternatives in town which looked appealing from the outside, but none will give you the ambiance of the Gargantua. Then again, one man's ambiance is another man's reason for staying someplace else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeUtica
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Nice big room, really friendly staff . Limited parking and unfortunately restaurant closed so couldn't try that although it looked good.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank rsrj
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in Aug. Overall it was okay - nothing to rave about. The room we got was huge but quite run down (not in the historical sense either). The paint on the doors was scraped off, the ceilings were cracked and peeling, the curtains had stains on them and the bath had no curtain so showering was quite the chore if you didn't want to get water all over the bathroom. The deco was a bit bizarre and tacky. The receptionist was very nice and location was great.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had a deluxe room for 81 euros, simple rooms with a good amount of space. We went with our baby and the cot was in good condition. We ate in the garden resturant which was lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We agree 100% with all those who recommend this 'hotel de charme'. One tiny little detail: the bed (mattress) felt to warm (muggy, sweaty) due to some kind of cover.

• Stayed: August 2011
HotelGargantua, Propriétaire at Hostellerie Gargantua, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Ladies and gentlemen,

All the team of the hostellerie Gargantua joins me to thank you for your opinions. Quite your opinions motivating us to continue our efforts and returning the team proud of the accomplished work.
Your remarks are very important, so allowing us to improve our service.