“Poor”

La Maison Rouge
Ranked #13 of 65 Restaurants in Chinon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Poor”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We came to this restaurant a year ago and it was wonderful. Sadly a year later, I think it must be under new management, a husband and wife who were dressed for a night in watching the telly. One set menu with three choices, Duck, eel or veggie, and another menu offering a choice of four out of six pates. I had the set menu, but decided against a starter, so when my meal arrived, I assumed that there had been a language problem and I had been given a starter. I tried a little of it, not very nice, cannot even begin tell you what it was, suddenly the husband came and took my plate away without so much as a word,with my fork in mid air, but what we could gather was, I had been given the meal of one of the only other couple in the restaurant. There was no explanation or apology when the dish [thankfully] was taken away. I was made to feel it was my fault. I was then made to feel very uncomfortable by the wife, the person who heats up the pre prepared food. When my meal did arrive, duck leg with ravioli, it was awful, 17 euros. My husband had four very small pots of pate, some bread and a little lettuce and tomato, 15.50 euros. We were so disappointed. It was such a fab restaurant last year.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Enro12

North Buckinghamshire
“Full of character”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We just had to give this restaurant a try as soon as we saw it. It's in the prettiest part of the medieval section of Chinon. A tiny little place, as old as the hills, judging by the wooden timbered frontage. We sat on the terrace and had a lovely "degustation" menu which came beautifully presented on pretty plates. We finished it off with a cafe gourmand - also to be recommended. It all tasted beautiful and home-made. Attentive and charming service. Staff spoke English, but let us use our French, which we appreciated, as it can feel a bit patronising when they cut in with English when you're having a go with the language. You pay a little more for the location, maybe, but very much worth it. Take the opportunity to use the loo - it's bonkers, with an old brass teapot attached to the wall, with its handle used to hold the loo roll!

• Visited August 2012
Bruges, Belgium
“Not recommended”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My partner and I went here on our trip through France end of august '11. She had passed the little restaurant on a previous trip and said it looked nice and cosy and wanted to go have diner there.
Perhaps we came in a little late to there liking but we were nearly forced to order even though we hadn't made our choice yet.
You can choose between several plates and also mix and match. This seemed like a good idea. You get small portions on a plate, you can choose things like pate's, foie gras, sausage,... The food was not bad (but not great either) but you can buy all these things in the local butcher shop and put them on a plate with some salad yourself. Far from what you would expect from a restaurant. They surely didn't do any effort and I doubt they actually make anything themselves. Service was also far from friendly.
I can assure you we won't be going back there.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Francis R
Sydney
“Best meal in Chinon”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Friendly service and real local food. Some interesting dishes I had never tried before. Give it a go, you will not be disappointed.

2 Thank SydneyGazza