“Good to be back”

Auberge du Bon Laboureur
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Chenonceaux
Reviewed October 31, 2013

In Oct. 2011, my wife and I stayed at this hotel for the first time. We were glad to return again this Oct. for an overnight bed-dinner-breakfast on our way South from CDG Airport. The journey takes about 3 hours ------ manageable even after a transatlantic flight. In my 2011 report, I praised its old world charm and its modern conveniences as well as the attractive packages it has on offer. I also described the comforts of our room. The one we had on this occasion was even better, being on the ground floor instead of up a flight of steps, and it was distinctly larger with an entry corridor, a separate bathroom and WC, and a cosy area that was almost a study. The breakfast, as on the earlier occasion, was remarkable and easily our best in France once again.The 1-star Michelin restaurant lived up to its reputation, although we preferred our previous meal. However, whereas the previous dinner was priced at 48 euros, this was only one euro more: remarkable in an era during which prices elsewhere in the French restaurant industry have risen at least 10%.
The amuse bouche was not a huge success, but the rest was flawless, with a choice of two for each course. We deliberately differed so that we could taste the lot: STARTERS: 1. Terrine of ox-tail and veal, with lentil salad and a bowl of consomme with vermicelli ( almost a meal in itself). 2. Mushroom cream soup with dried fruit salad and dried beef ( again, really a soup and starter combined). MAINS: 1. Shoulder of veal confite with seasonal vegetables ( a gloriously generous collection). 2. Large shrimp with pureed potatoes and emulsion of wild mushrooms.
DESSERTS: 1. Dacquoise praline with nut-chocolate ice cream. 2. Gratine of pineapple, pomelos and orange, with sorbet. As long as we are able to drive in France, this will continue to be one of our most favoured destinations

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank davidgoldberg1
There are newer reviews for Auberge du Bon Laboureur

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I absolutely loved this hotel and restaurant. We arrived in Chenonceaux after a long drive from the south, and parked our car in the covered barn-style building in the rear courtyard of the hotel. Walking in through the rear of the building we passed the menu board, and had to stop and read it. We started to look forward to dinner very much, but it was only 3.30 pm so this had to wait. We were welcomed warmly by reception staff, and shown to our room, overlooking the front. The room was charming and comfortable.

The magnificent chateau at Chenonceaux is just 5 minutes walk away from the hotel, so we went there for the rest of the afternoon and were bewitched. How could dinner live up to the splendours of the architecture and gardens of the chateau? I was afraid of an anti-climax.

I should not have worried. The waiting staff were very friendly, offering to speak English, and giving us menus in English. (I prefer to read a French menu in French, but perhaps my spoken French prompted the provision of English menus.) Anyway, the English version just served to confirm our earlier thoughts when we had scanned the French menu on arrival were the right choices. My wife was bowled over by her lobster salad, and my foie gras with dried fruit was delicious. Then for a main course my wife had some shoulder of veal with its sweetbreads. That sounds like a big hearty dish, but in fact the portion size is elegantly perfect, the flavours divine, and the execution precise and attractive. My wild duck had similar qualities. We ate our main courses mostly in silence, punctuated by sounds of gastronomic pleasure. Hope our next door table occupants didn’t mind! Great desserts (pear-based for me, fig-based for my wife) and a lovely half-bottle of Chinon to accompany the savoury courses made this meal truly special. After dinner we went for a stroll around the village, which is really rather pretty.

We spent a quiet and comfortable night despite the proximity of the road to our window. The room was well insulated for sound. In the morning we had an excellent buffet breakfast, with a wide choice of cheeses, ham, fruit, and yoghurts being the main fare, but the bread and croissants, and jams were also mouth watering.

We loved our night at le Bon Laboureur. I am almost wary of reviewing it because when I next want to go, I want to be sure we’ll get a room and a table….. but it’s so good it wouldn’t be fair to keep the fact quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Siandmon
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I together with a couple of friends booked the Auberge du Bon Laboureur purly on spec - we didn't spend a lot of time looking through the various reviews on the basis that we had only one night to spend so we did not quite no what to expect. The hotel was wonderful - fabulous rooms, very pleasant and clean. Fantastic food - we ate dinner in the restaurant which was to die for. Breakfast was also very, very good. The staff too were simply charming hosts. The only regret was that we only had the one night - but we will be back in the next few months, this time for a longer stay in this wonderful area of France.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Kencaskie
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I having spent a super four days at Auberge du Bon Laboureur earlier this year told so many people about it we decided to return last weekend with two friends. If anything, believe it or not, they surpassed the first visit. The rooms are quaint as you would expect, simple with everything that one could need or want.

The food again is to die for, some of the best eating that we have all experienced. As for the hospitality, it too is unbeatable; the team at the hotel could not make you more welcome if they tried and the little added value touches really ensure that the stay is just the best. We shall definitely return!

On balance we found that it was great value for money.....try it for yourself.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank StephenR744
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just arrived home after a wonderful 3 nights at this warm, friendly hotel. The restaurant, although not cheap, delivered top quality produce, cooked to perfection with fantastic service. Meals were delivered with added value with appetisers being presented in the lounge while perusing the menu, with another appetiser at the table, plus dessert tasters and selection of sweets with coffee. The easy walk to the Chateau makes the stay here even better. I would recommend this hotel without a shadow of doubt.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RosieanneM
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A charming house covered of flowers in the very small village of Chenonceaux. Walking distance to the castle.
The restaurant is fantastic. So you can stroll during the day, rent a bike, and at night have a great meal with great wine.
Parking and breakfast are included.
A central patio is perfect for an afternoon champagne.
A place to relax and enjoy the french way of life.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights in this beautiful hotel, ideally located for visiting the chateau's of the Loire. We had a lovely room with on-suite, although it did look if some rooms were without this facility - so check beforehand. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. Service was efficient and room service is available. The Restaurant was very popular and although a number of reviewers found prices expensive, we felt that all good restaurants in France are expensive and this was par for the course. Having said that, the food was above average and a joy. Whilst we have not planned to, we ended up eating on both nights in the restaurant. Both nights were busy with hotel guests as well as visitors. There are other options in the village if your prefer alternative eating. Yes overall our experience was expensive, but if you are happy to push the boat out from time-to-time this is a place to do it. Parking is secure.

Room Tip: Make sure you have en-suite. The loo in 407 is a bit tight for a big chap like me, but not ba probl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chenonceaux
Hotel la Roseraie
#2 of 25 in Amboise
Chateau de Chissay
Chateau de Chissay
#1 of 2 in Chissay-en-Touraine

Been to Auberge du Bon Laboureur? Share your experiences!