“Wonderful food without pretense”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of AU GATEAU BRETON

AU GATEAU BRETON
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Chenonceaux
Cuisines: French
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
East Meadow, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food without pretense”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

On a visit to Chenonceaux, we decided to wander through town and see what we could find for dinner. Au Gateau Breton's menu looked nice, so we wandered in. We were the only English speakers in the place, but our broken French was enough to get us by. The folks there were understanding of our limited grasp of their language, and they made us feel at home.

I ordered Duck Confit, and my spouse ordered Chicken with Mushroom Stuffing & Cream Sauce. We also had an appetizer of duck liver pate, and with our main meal we ordered haricots verts (green beans) and pomme frites (french fries). Everything was wonderful! We make a point of eating our way through every trip to France, and this time was no different. I can say without hesitation that the duck at Au Gateau Breton was the best I had in France or anywhere else (and I ate a fair amount of duck during this trip!). Desserts were excellent, and, with all of that, the bill was under 50 Euro--not bad for where we were. Certainly cheaper than other places we ate!

Next time we're over, we're definitely going back to Au Gateau Breton!

1 Thank JessB66

Gatineau, Canada
“This is a nice restaurant which serves good French food at un unbelievable price. One of the best value I ever saw...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

This is a nice restaurant which serves good French food at un unbelievable price. One of the best value I ever saw. Great service too.

5 Thank BBreton