“Most hospitable!”

Ranked #59 of 197 Restaurants in Chartres
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cafe, brasserie, restaurant, 100m from the tourist office (home of the salmon) menu, map, barbecue, fish, chef's ..Menu spécial pour les groupes /Special menu for groups
“Most hospitable!”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I came to Chartres one Saturday morning from Paris by bicycle and train, and spent the entire day in the rain. By 1800 I was ready for dinner, at least an hour before most restaurants open. The proprietor opened up early just for me, and I had a delightful meal! This place won't get any Michelin stars, but the food is just fine, reasonably priced as are the wines and apparitfs - and the friendly service is truly exceptional!

Pascal G, Propriétaire at L'Escalier, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for having published a notice

Hope to see you again

Gresham, Oregon
“Made my day”
Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I ducked into this restaurant to escape a passing shower. At first we thought we would have a glad of wine and move on, but eventually stayed for a bite.
First of all let me say we don't speak French. We also have no expectation that the French will go out of their way to overcome our lack of linguistic skills (this is an important attitude here). That being said, the owner went out of his way to befriend us and make conversation (despite his lack of English skill). This we greatly appreciated as it created a very evoking environment.
We ate in the bar with a view of the street. My wife had a salad (she loved it), and I had quiche (it was extraordinary). The bill came to €30 which included two glasses of wine each and a wonderful afternoon. I would definitely return for a full meal. They did have several three course meal options for under €20.

See you soon, I
cordially
Mr Pascal GOURCI
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good and friendly”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Good food, excellent place in a sunny day, terrific localization, near everything that matters in Chartres. I did the reservation 2 days before, and the manager was kind enough to call me to ask if we prefer outside tables. I asked about menu for kids, and he was very kind in preparing pasta to 8 kids (we were a big group), out of the fix (and excellent) menu for saturdays. We loved it!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank SilvanadeLucca
Pascal G, Propriétaire at L'Escalier, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for having published a notice

Hope to see you again
va
“Sunday find”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had a very pleasant evening at L'Escalier in the old town (1 Rue du Bourg). It's about a 5 min. walk from the cathedral and it's open on Sunday when a lot of places are not. And it's very nice sitting in the squarelike area just across from the restaurant.

The menu offers various fixed price dinners (with about 3 choices within each fixed priced) and ala carte at reasonable prices. The choices were varied and the four of us each enjoyed the food. It was fresh, well prepared and presented. Pascal (owner/manager) was so pleasant when I wanted a different first course on a fixed price he obliged with no extra cost.

The service was good, the food delicious and the atmosphere casual and relaxed.

• Visited August 2011
See you soon, I
cordially
Mr Pascal GOURCI
Eastbourne UK
“No alternative offered.”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The 19euro menu was chosen by me and the a'la carte by my wife. There was no mention of the ratatouille being unavailable and my wife chose the roast chicken. It turned out to be a fried chicken leg with chips for 12euro! We should both have had ratatouille or at least been offered an alternative such as a salad. When I asked about this I was told that they had run out and that was it ! Having been in the trade myself for many years I was more than annoyed with this total lack of consideration for the product and the customer. When I asked for more bread I received a 'huff' from the waiter. With wine the bill came to almost 60euro after a modest reduction for my dissatisfaction. We had another experience the previous night elsewhere so I'm now wondering if McDonalds or a good Chinese do have their place in France. I feel that those pioneering French chefs would have been horrified at today’s trade. Having said this we did enjoy the starters and deserts although we waited 40mins for the desert.

• Visited August 2011