“Could do better”
Review of Tomate et Piment

Tomate et Piment
Reserve with
Tomate et Piment is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 203 Restaurants in Chartres
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Having just come off the train after a day out in Paris, we decided on the tomato & Piment for dinner, this being our second and last night in Chartres. My husband had the Jambalya and I had the spare ribs. My ribs and the accompanying chips were not very hot as though they'd sitting on the side somewhere. Edible but not overly full of flavour, but there was plenty of meat on the bones. My husband's meal was fine, he found no fault with it. For pudding I chose a dame Blanche, which they got completely wrong, chocolate sauce was cold, should be hot and the chantilly cream was missing completely, sadly the waiter didn't even know it was missing when challenged and had to check if it was back in the kitchen. Did offer to add the cream, but by this time I'd almost finished so it wasn't worth the wait around. overall, I've had worse but had better, if desperate I'd go back.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our friends occasionally joke about our obsession with guides when it comes to eating out and I must admit to sometimes wishing it didn't take me so long to decide on where to eat. However after this experience in Chartres I began to feel my apparently over-lengthy contemplations had some value after all. It was pretty bad.

We are not, I should add, in the business of chasing Michelin stars although in the past we have spent large amounts on what we now think is over-refined food. We do like proper cooking and careful presentation but honest flavour and lack of pretention are our current objectives. However we arrived in Chartres on a Sunday in August en route for Le Havre. We were looking for lunch but not necessarily a special culinary experience. Tomate and Piment happened to be near the car park, it was quite busy and after three weeks of eating French food its eclectic menu had some appeal. So without considering alternatives we sat at an outside table with a decent view of arguably the world's best known cathedral.

What followed was undoubtedly the worst commercially produced food we have eaten for many a year. I had a virtually inedible chicken tagine, my wife a flavourless jambalaya. The only partially satisfactory element were some roast vegetables but even they were poorly cooked and lacking in flavour. The place was busy; Chartres is a tourist town and many of the diners appeared to be foreigners who were happy enough with what they got. It isn't an expensive place and the menu has an apparently global reach although on the evidence of our meal the kitchen lacks the ability to deliver what is on offer. Service was amiable and the location is pleasant [probably less so when there is more traffic] but I could not recommend this restaurant in any way. It stands for us as an example of why the Michelin or any other guide can be so useful when deciding where to eat.

1  Thank lancashireexile
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Since we finished visiting the cathedral, we decided to try this restaurant because it was in the vicinity. The food was alright but our wait staff made a mistake in our order. so we had an extra order. If it was in New York, we would have told him that we really didn't need it and should bring it back but when we told him we only ordered one of that, his face fell. My sister and I sympathized with him and just decided to take it home. Oh, don't order the house wine.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

A modern styled restaurant. The food was perfectly fine, I had the lunch menu whih on Sunday may have been the same as Saturday and there is nothing wrong with that. The salads looked good. By 13.00 it was reasonably busy mainly with French customers.

Reviewed May 5, 2010

WWW.tomate-et-piment,fr has a great web site. On April 19th 2010 we arrived around 10 p.m. in Chartres, it was our first visit. Due to our train breaking down from Dijon to Paris we arrived very late. What a wonderful surprise to walk across the street to find this nifty old luggage decor restaurant and to be greeted with such a warm friendly welcome. It was hard to chose from the huge range of food to select. My husband had chicken curry, I had veggie fajitas, both tasted yummy. Our second night I had the best cheeseburger I have had in Europe, truly delicious and cooked the way I love well done. My husband had salmon with rice was equally delighted. I had researched where to eat in Chartres for our two night stay but returned to Tomate & Piment instead. The service was wonderful and especially so at 10 p.m. they serve till 10:30. To describe Sebastien the host~ waiter in a few words, he has a terrific personality, charming, speaks impeccable English, and is a true gentleman. Thank you dear Sebastien for a memorable experience to add to our visits in your lovely country.