“Fantastic everything!”

Ranked #6 of 203 Restaurants in Chartres
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

It's no secret that the town of Chartres is so charming and quaint, but we were pleasantly surprised when we walked into La Picoterie for lunch. Although this restaurant is close to the cathedral, it doesn't have the feel or attitude of a touristy restaurant. It was very busy, but we were immediately greeted and taken to a table. The waiter was friendly and explained the specials of the day ( in English) while handing us menus. We were in the mood for buckwheat galettes and the list was almost overwhelming. The food was fantastic! To accompany my Picoterie galette (gruyere, ham, mushrooms, creme fraiche, topped with an egg), I ordered a dry cider. The wait staff was very alert and on the ball. The bill was presented when they brought my espresso, but there was no rush to leave. It was one of the best dining experiences my wife and I had enjoyed in a long time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The place was choc - a-bloc which speaks for itself. You will get crepes of all sorts. I went for a sweet crepe which I loved and my husband went for a savoury duck's meat crepe which he did not like. The cider was good . Staff friendly and ambience ok . It would have been better had there been more space. Thank god our neighbours did not understand our language nor we theirs. So , if you want crepes head to this place !

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I completed a tour of the cathedral and were wandering around the old city. We were hungry but hadn't really researched any lunch place in Chartres. Rule of thumb for us is to find a places that are generally busy. Creperie La Picoterie was busy and menu looked interesting.

Greeted by a friendly server, we were asked whether we wanted menus in French or English. We both had the most incredible celery-based soup and lovely omelets. Had we had more room, the dessert crepes looked fantastic.

The prices were fair, the service very good and we both truly enjoyed the quality of the food.

1  Thank locavore60786
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Charming, genuine, excellent food, great selection. The owner greeted everyone with enthusiasm. From the number of people he greeted by name, we could tell this was a place locals went--always a good sign. It was easy to find lots of things of the menu without dairy, which I appreciated. Lots of fresh vegetables, well-prepared and delicious. Don't miss the French cider--you can choose between cider from Normandy and Brittany.

1  Thank jct263
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The food was nothing astounding but perfectly acceptable, but at least they did serve some vegetarian dishes. The local cider was very good.