“Authentic French Bistro in a wonderful setting.”
Review of Le Cafe Serpente

Le Cafe Serpente
Ranked #26 of 208 Restaurants in Chartres
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We ate at the Cafe Serpente at the end of a long day travelling from the West Midlands by train. We had visited the Cathedral (amazing) and wanted supper whilst watching the Chartres Lumiere. The Cafe Serpente offered a prime location for the wonderful display in a traditional bistro setting. The food was very good. I had the onion soup to start and my husband had the snails; both were authentic and tasty. We both enjoyed St Pierre, or John Dory, for our main course. This is my absolute favourite fish and not often found on menus in the UK, so this was a real treat for me. Tarte tatin provided a perfect end to the meal. All washed down with a good French wine. Service was 'unrushed' but good, and the staff were very helpful, calling a taxi for us at the end of our meal and not pushing us to leave until it arrived, despite them closing. Choose this bistro for an authentic French meal in a wonderful setting.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stopped here for lunch while we were on a day trip from Paris to see the Cathedral. The waitress was very friendly and went out of her way to answer our questions and get us some directions.
We ordered the onion soup on the menu and were disappointed. Not particularly tasty or hot.
I would probably try a different restaurant if we went back for another visit.
It does have a nice outside terrace and extremely convenient to the cathedral.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We arrived in Chartres and it was very cold so we thought a lovely soup was in order. Delicious food and cosy atmosphere and good prices as well.

1  Thank Katherine8998
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I would have given this restaurant more stars if I hadn't ordered the wrong food. Unfortunately, I should have ordered something other than the steak. The steak was so tough and chewy. The sauce béarnaise had congealed and had a layer of thickened orange crust on top. It's too bad this was our first night in France and our experience was not very good. I do think their menu offers many other dishes that would satisfy. The place was crowded with locals which is usually a nod to good food and service. I also thought their tart tatin was lacking, though.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Enjoyed coffee and a break here. Very civilised! Sat outside and watched the passers by.... Well worth a stop. Food looked good too but we did not eat.