“Nothing to write home about”
Review of Cantine Berrichonne - CLOSED

Cantine Berrichonne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2017

A 'canteen' it is, sadly, and nothing more, as the quality of the food leaves a lot to be desired.( I've honestly had better meals at my work canteen!). We chose some regional specialities, starting with the lentil salad, which was very bland and covered in tasteless industrial mayonnaise instead of the tangy vinegary dressing that should accompany it. Next came the main course: skewered beef, which was overcooked and dry, accompanied by 3 types of industrial sauces and a small bowl of dry chips. Unfortunately the dessert was no better: stodgy, tasteless rice pudding; comparing it to my grandmother's, sprinkled with fragrant cinnamon makes me want to cry! To cut a long story short, just give this place a miss, there are plenty more fine establishments in this city!

Reviewed August 12, 2015

Firstly impressed by the staff friendliness. The waiter offered us a translation and explanation of the menu. I had the hard boiled eggs with the green dressing and my wife the mackerel pate, both delicious. Our mains were the chicken on the skewer and the Duck...excellent ! I highly recommend this resturant .

Reviewed May 14, 2015

More like a canteen experience with wooden tables and chairs - but full of locals enjoying local food.
We were asked to wait for 10 mins before our order was taken as there was a large party upstairs - we thought the food must be good! The restaurant is near the city centre but in a side street

I had the menu of the day and chose whitebait, kidneys for main and creamed rice for desert. My wife had a main of ducks gizzards and a desert that she enjoyed.

WE had 2X half litres of the house red and then coffee outside

Tasty food and inexpensive - would certainly return

If there are lots of locals eating there - the food is usually good

1  Thank jonlam
Reviewed November 20, 2014

Very informal, best chips ever, lovely duck brochettes and nice wine served by very pleasant people. What more could you want?

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We had a really good meal here. I opted for the Tete de Veau which was excellent the portions are good and the service was first class. Do not be put off by the style of menu, it may be slightly unusual, but, the food is good, definitely worth a visit. ddd