“Lucky to have a reservation”

Restaurant Le Bourbonnoux
Ranked #14 of 196 Restaurants in Bourges
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2012

On our way back from the south of France, we decided to spend a day and a night in the beautiful city of Bourges. Our B&B (Coeur de Bourges, recently opened and surely to recommend) told us that there was a decently priced good restaurant nearby. It happened to be “Le Boubonnoux” which caught already our attention during our previous stroll in the medieval city. The only difficulty was to get a table for two but our B&B could in extremis fix this for us. And yes, the place was fully packed! I have to admit that it was a Saturday evening in July and that all of the other guests were local people. So I can really not understand why other critics describe it as the ultimate tourist trap. I surely disagree completely.
The restaurant is situated in a historic building, with a visible wooden structure, in the medieval part of Bourges. The visible wooden structure gives charm to the place but limits also the space for placing the tables and chairs. So our table was rather far away from the other tables which suited us for some privacy but limited also our access to the waitress. There was only one waitress, I guess the lady of the house, and as the place was fully packed it was indeed sometimes hard to get her attention but besides that the service was excellent.

We both took the “menu saveur” (4 courses) at 25,-€. Decent food, honest food, fresh ingredients nicely prepared. I have to admit that we both took meat (pièce de boeuf) as main course so I cannot judge about the chef’s ability to serve fish. Anyway, the sauce with a touch of ginger was surprisingly good. We took a local wine from the wine-list and with an aperitif before and (only one) coffee afterwards, we paid for the two of us together 86,-€ which was a honest price for what we got.

In brief : it is a nice place with honest decent food for a good price. Don’t expect Michelin Stars but it is surely on a much higher level than “brasserie”-food.

1  Thank clhslt
There are newer reviews for Restaurant Le Bourbonnoux

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked this restaurant on our trip to the castles of the Loire as one of many gastronomic restaurants along the way. We had marvelous experiences with excellent price/quality but this one was a real disaster. This is the ultimate tourist trap and other tables that evening shared our opinion. The wine was expensive for the quality presented ( local wines are excellent). We ordered the menu of 39 € .The starter was poor in combination and inherent quality but we gave it the benefit of the doubt: we did not finish our plate but taste can differ. The main course was a real disaster: The fish was dried out and must have been defrosted. The other 'things' - no defined word for them - were distasteful and repulsive. The portions were small but in view of the poor quality we did not mind. We told the waitress but she did not care too much. The dessert was kind of OK - brasserie style. When we saw the lady of the house - at the time of the bill- we shared our disappointment but were told off: you should have told us at that time....not after eating. When we told her that by trying the fish ( after 2 or 3 bites) it was basically gone and we left the remainder AND that we told the waitress, she said ' I'm sorry to hear that. That was it. We mentioned TripAdvisor - did not make an impression.

3  Thank HermKB
Reviewed July 14, 2012

On the plus side, the quality of most of the food was very good. Initially I was a little disappointed, as the starter I wanted was not available. However the replacement was both elegant and very tasty. My main course was a fairly average fish dish - merlan, which I believe is whiting - a rather dull fish to be served in a good quality restaurant. I thought that some of the other mains, which other diners were having, looked a better bet The dessert was, however, excellent, and made up for the shortcomings of the main. Service was quite slow, which is not a problem unless you are on a tight schedule. My 3 star rating is possibly a little harsh, but is largely based on the main course I had.

1  Thank jotheringman5
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We chose the € 25 menu and got 3 great and one reasonable dish. Nice appetizers were complementary and with coffee came delicious little sweets. Wine was reasonalby priced. We were lucky to get a table: reservation recommended!. Staff was not very friendly to us, locals were treated with more warmth.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

A good quality 30 cover restaurant serving excellent quality , well cooked food with good local ingredients. A good wine list with local Loire specialities. It was full on a July Saturday so bookings recommended