“Avoid this Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Blois
Rye, United Kingdom
“Avoid this Hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I arrived at this Hotel at 3.45 PM and pulled onto the pavement to quickly unload as it is on a one way system. The door was locked, so I pressed the bell to no avail. After a few minutes a man arrived, unlocked the door and said that reception did not re-open until 4PM (In 15 minutes time!). As my French is very limited I furiously threw our bags into the car and drove to find a parking space. He could see that I was very angry.
We returned later and the same surly individual checked us in. My partner picked up our 3 hand bags and I picked up 1 of our 2 heavy cases assuming he would take the other as the room was on the 2nd floor and there is no lift. He made no offer of help and watched while I struggled up very awkward stairs to a very small and dingy room. The tiles in the microscopic bathroom had all been painted over, I could go on! If I had not made a credit card booking. I would have left.
Stay away, this place deserves to be put out of business.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Martin C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Upon arriving at this hotel I was yelled at by the manager who couldn't believe that my booking (made through Booking.com) included breakfast at the price. I showed him my confirmation which was in fact for 'Half Board' so it should have also included dinner!

He yelled at me repeatedly and threatened not to give me the room. Eventually he forced me to ring Booking.com customer service who of course very quickly confirmed that I was in fact correct. He sheepishly showed me to my room but was still unfriendly.

I was not provided with dinner, however I was reluctantly provided with breakfast. I honestly didn't really care about the breakfast - it is easy to pick up some bread and juice for a couple of Euros - but the was he treated me was completely unacceptable. I have never been yelled at like that before and hope never to experience it again.

How a person like that can run a hotel is simply unfathomable and I am would strongly encourage anyone looking for a hotel in Blois to look elsewhere, even if it is more expensive.

Stay away. Don't book here. Terrible, terrible experience.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank John S

Travelers are raving about these Blois hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It was supposed to be an easy and comfortable night on a layover in a sleepy town which has much going for it. Even by French standards (which, being part-French I readily admit are dismally low), this hotel is terrible. All we wanted was coolness, quiet and a clean bed but we got none of those. The room we had faced a house opposite, whose inhabitants we could see watching TV (so much for privacy!), the air was still as a fan seemed a foreign concept and I wasn't terribly impressed with the rest of the room which smelt rank.

Furthermore upon paying, they came up with more trouble. As my father had booked the hotel with his credit card, they refused to pay through his card claiming there was too much paperwork. Honestly, the Ibis is just opposite this hotel and if you have survived the labyrinth of one-way streets that make up Blois' city centre, you're better off in a good, old standardised hotel rather than this one.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 221. Just don't!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Wouldn't stay here again the manager wasn't very helpful when we found a cigarette in one of the beds. He claimed it was one of ours but we don't smoke.
The Restaurant was non-existent. It also had a greasy smell as though it hadn't been cleaned.
The manager had restricted hours during the afternoon so after a morning of walking around we couldn't enter the apartment due to the door being locked.

Managers service very low.
very quiet area, beds good for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Easy to find once we found the correct road. We walked from the train and had lunch in the park on the way to the hotel. Hotel is across the street from St. Vincent Church, very nice inside. Would have liked to hear the organs play. The Mansion is just up the hill and is quite impressive from the outside. It wook only a couple of hours to walk most of the town and to see the churches and sights. The Hotel had small spiral staircase which was a little difficult to do. Maybe easier if the front desk helped a little. The room had an inside exit onto the fire escape with a skylight where we had appa's and wine. The $6.00 Euro for croissants was ok for breakfast but found this to be the standard in the latter hotels we stayed at.

Room Tip: Keep away from the tiny stairs if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank what-will-be-next
Valladolid, Spain
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Renaissance for at least one night while travelling in france with three of my friends. So I will tell you the highlights and the lowlights. The price is perfect for people taking Europe by storm and still saving money. We staying in a 5 person room for one night and each paid around 11 euro, which, in my opinion, is relatively unheard of in France. The accomodations were clean and spacious, another rarity for those who know that spacious rooms are few in Europe. The floor was very dirty, which was somewhat disappointing, but otherwise not a problem. The check in time was a little late for our liking, but the consierge made up for it by allowing us to stay in the lobby after we had checked out (and let us use their wi-fi). And can I just say, the people at the desk were very sweet and accomodating. They practiced their english with us and patiently pointed out the great places to eat and shop in Blois. We had a fantastic time in Blois and the Hotel Renaissance was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends