“Perfect Beginning”

Hotel Anne De Bretagne
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Blois
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Once I got to the hotel, my holiday immediately improved. I experienced numerous traveling SNAFUs en route to Blois but soon forgot about them once the charm of the place enchanted me. My investment of many hours researching the area was worthwhile as there is a decent amount of hotels from which you can choose; however, none were comparable to Anne de Bretagne for its offerings, location, and price. (My review of the hotel itself is the third paragraph)

I only stayed for three nights before continuing on to Paris, but that length fit well into my plans. Because of the traveling issues I had to adjust my sight-seeing schedule, which worked quite well actually. On the day I anticipated visiting Chateau de Chenonceau (a 40-minute train ride from Blois), I instead strolled through north and south Blois snapping artsy architecture photos. Across the bridge (over the Loire river) to south Blois there are primarily residences, so I spent most of my day around the area near the hotel. Walking under 10 minutes from Anne de Bretagne you can reach: train station, inter marche (the market), main street of town (down alleys are shops and eateries), Chateau de Blois, and the river. I ate light my entire trip, so a baguette sandwich in the square below Chateau de Blois was the perfect accompaniment to people watching. The second day was devoted to three chateaus (using the 6 euro shuttle): Chambord, Cheverny, and Blois. You can also visit Beauregard after Cheverny, but I opted out. To wind down from my outings I sipped wine on the patio in front of the hotel (they charge your room and you pay at check-out).

Property is nice; the facade is lovely with the ivy covering. The decor was tasteful and seemed recently updated (in the hallways of the rooms). My room's interior (room 24 was at the end of the hall) was adequate, though not disappointing. I traveled solo, and the single room is truly intended for one person - even then it was snug compared to the single rooms available in America. I expected this close space, though, as I had before traveled abroad. My suggested improvements for the room: wash cloth for shower, curtain over window in shower room, a fan for bedroom, a mini fridge, and a wifi connection for multiple devices, not only one per room. Clearly these amenities are conveniences that are not necessary but would place the hotel beyond reproach (from my experience). The entire staff were courteous and pleasant, making me feel welcome without overly gushing. The managing couple, if not the owners, were hospitable in person and communication when I emailed them with questions. Lastly, breakfast was worth the added cost (8 euro). You receive from service a basket of breads (croissant & baguette), cheese, and ham. Available to all are: yogurt, fruit compote, fruit spreads, Nutella, pound cake, crusty baguette slices, cereal, juices, hot chocolate, tea, and coffee.

I recommend selecting Hotel Anne de Bretagne as a reliable, comfortable, hospitable, and economic accommodation.

Room Tip: Room 24 is a short ascent up the narrow stairs, faces southwest, and is above the back street, which...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Eric C, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Anne De Bretagne, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks a lot for your notes ! All is well explain (hotel, rooms and breakfast) and we are very satisfyed that your stay was great here. Concerning your room, it's true we haven't got air-conditioning and also no fan. We are a 3 star hotel, so no mini fridge inside rooms BUT if you have some foods , you can give us at the reception to put in the main fridge and for WIFI, it's not 1 ticket / room but 1 ticket / computer or phone to ask at your arrival.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here this summer and were very pleased with our choice. The front of the Hotel is exactly what you see in their images. Very central position in Blois and we found it very easily. We travel by motor bike and were able to park at no cost in an area of the hotel grounds that were for motorbikes and pushbikes.
We were welcomed when we booked in and shown to our room which was called Blois, it was on the ground floor, very spacious with a King size bed , beautifully decorated and well furnished, quite modern a lovely sized wardrobe. The bathroom was a wet room and set out perfectly for a disabled guest. We had paid 80 euros for this room for each night and thought it very good value for a room in a city centre.
The breakfast was enjoyable, a basket of bread and croissants, we were asked if we wanted ham and cheese which we did, the rest was a help your self, very enjoyable.
As said the hotel was very well positioned, a couple of minutes walk to the Chateau which was a fantastic place to visit, we had bought a combined ticket to include the museum of magic and the two places filled the day with a break for lunch.
A good range of places to find a meal and drink, and shops if you want some retail therapy.
We found all the staff in the hotel to be helpful and they were helpful even after we had arrived home! About a month after our stay I wanted to make contact with a jewellers in Blois and could not find a direct way to get hold of them, I dropped an email to the Hotel Anne de Bretagne and they replied with full contact details, very helpful. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We apreciate very much your remarks about your stay with us.Motos and bikes can be parked inside our privet and securised garden. Your room - all equipped for disabeld person - can be occupated by other clients. It's a spacious room ! Our equip is here to help you for your questions and advises for your stay, so don't hesitate ! You can see more informations on our website.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a unexpected detour during our vacation and had to be in the region again for 3 nights. We went back to Anne De Bretagne and good news: not purchased yet by a chain, same excellent personnel and location. This time I have learned about the hidden bike parking and the Loire Valley pedaling option: the bike waits for you at arrival, the baggage is carried by a car to the next hotel while the group take its time on those great country roads.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Eric C, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Anne De Bretagne, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thanks a lot for all your notes about our hotel. We apreciate that really. We hope to see you a next time !

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Don't get me wrong; the hotel was fine. But it was modest, very modest. I usually aim for three-star hotels, and I know what I'm getting. This was a big step down. The outside is ivy-covered and arguably picturesque. The interior is dingy. We had two adjoining rooms; one for my wife and I, one for our son. With a suitcase on the floor, it was barely possible to move around the room. The bathroom was tiny, the fixtures and shower door were flimsy and old, the little soaps and plastic packets of shampoo were really cheap and the towels were very fatigued. No elevator and no one to help with the bags.

It's not a terrible choice: the location is fine; the staff were pleasant; the breakfast was O.K.; I didn't have to pay for parking. The room was just clean enough. And it was inexpensive. But I was surprised by just how modest a proposition it was. It may be fine for some; if you know what you're getting, you won't be surprised. But be prepared for modest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mattski0604

It's a surprise ! Hotel ANNE DE BRETAGNE is really a 2-star hotel ! In memory, at this high period of the season, you hadn't booked a family room and you chose, at your arrival, this connecting-room , possible to sleep at 4 persons maximum and you were 3. All your critics about this room and bathroom and towels (...) are not founded for us because you though be in a 3-star hotel and you were in a 2-star hotel : it's why ! Generally, when clients are disagree about a room, they said at the reception to modify or to leave.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Despite its low star rating this hotel is lovely. It's quirky style was refreshing after staying in chain hotels. The staff are all very friendly. The room we had was on the front of the building on the second floor with a pretty view of gardens in the distance. Parking outside is limited but we parked on a meter about 200 yards away and could see the car clearly from our room for only €3 for 24 hours, which is good value.
Only downside was no air con or fans and due to heat wave the room was boiling - though French windows open with shutters down eased this a little.
Be aware - if you want a decent restaurant in the area you HAVE to book it in advance. Blois is a picturesque town with some lovely buildings.

• Stayed: July 2013
Eric C, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Anne De Bretagne, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thanks for your notes about our hotel ! To park your car, 3 possibilites of parking and not expensive. The hotel is not equipped with air-conditionned and it can be a problem during the heat high, like now ! So, we must close all shuters and Windows. It's true we are in summer but it's ONLY 2 months in a year .

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here on a cycle tour, so not booked by us, but can see why it was chosen.
We were on the first floor facing the back road. Yes we could hear traffic noise and the trains, but I like that, helps me sleep and the noise was not excessive, could have closed the window if we were really bothered by it anyway.
Breakfast was continental, plenty of coffee if wanted and juice.
The lass on reception could speak excellent English and was really helpful. Wifi was also excellent, connected immediately!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for your remarks. We welcome many groups, mostly cyclists ! It's true, we are situated in the city and we have half rooms situated on frontside (overlooking the square and some the château) and half situated on backside (overlooking the street, with double glazing).

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hotel is located at a very nice location, near to the train station and the Chateau. Staff is polite and helping. Decor of the hotel is really good. Only negative that I can think of is, that rooms at ground floor are very small.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric C, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Anne De Bretagne, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thanks for your appreciation about your stay. Just a detail about rooms situated on groud floor : only 3 rooms with 1 STANDARD (smaller), 1 MEDIUM (higher and equipped for diseabled persons) and 1 SUPERIOR (equipped for diseabled persons and a king size bed- posibiity for 3 pers with a sofa/bed). You had the standard room, smaller the the ohers but it was a busy week-end with holidays school. All our rooms are different style and different size. Don't hesitate to ask about this.