“very good food, unfriendly service”

Le Bistrot du cuisinier
Ranked #12 of 172 Restaurants in Blois
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ghent, Belgium
“very good food, unfriendly service”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The food was very tasty, the better french cuisine, nice restaurant but one particular team member did not like 'les pauvres petits belges', as we were not being served correctly, compared to other tables. A pity as I would have recommended this one to friends...

• Visited June 2013

Lisbon, Portugal
“Good food, but...”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I dined at this restaurant as it was a recommendation from the hotel. I had the foie gras entree, steak main and the pistacho-centred moelleux de chocolat and find everything tasty. My husband had a cold soup of asparagus and lobster sauce, the "ris de veu" as main dish and creme brulee crustilant with red fruits and biscuit as a dessert and were also good.
The service was friendly enough. However, when we arrived to the restaurant most of the tables were empty and there was still a table for 2 free by the window, but I was told that as I had no reservation I couldn't sit there. Well, that table remained empty during our meal, so I guess they were only "playing difficult" or it was to someone that would go there after 21:00!
The waiter brought an "appetizer from the chef", but as the starters arrived very quickly I was only able to try a toast with it, and my husband couldn't even taste it as it was removed right away, without even asked if it could be taken from the table. That was not very polite in a restaurant that is supposed to be a bit more fancy.
The wine was a Chinon 2010, and quite a watered wine for 22€ for a bottle of 0,5L. No news there, as we've never had the chance to get good French wine for a reasonable price. We paid 102€ for 2 complete meals (starter, entree and dessert with a bottle of wine and a beer). As a summary it was a nice experience, but most probably I wouldn't go there again, as I think I could find the same quality of food with a smaller bill.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank CIVOG
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great food, wine and atmosphere”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very bubbly place over the bridge on the Loire with great atmosphere, very French, not too formal, with tasty meals, specialising in fish. Good wines and excellent friendly service and suggestions from waiting staff. We would always recommend dinner here. It's great fun and top quality.

Visited March 2013
Anstey, United Kingdom
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Everything that could have gone wrong with the service did in this restaurant. The lady who greeted us had obviously messed up our reservation and was in a complete state of panic about what to do, until she got approval from her colleague to seat us at another table. We then watched all the waiters run around in a frenzy, half the time without plates or dishes, it was a bit like a game of Pacman, although they all managed brilliantly to ignore us for a good 20mn. We finally managed to get someone to bring us some wine... we didn't get the menus until 45mn after we walked in, the "amuse bouche" arrived 30 seconds before our starter, we had to ask repeatedly for bread, etc etc. It seems like only one person is allowed to take orders, all the waiters seem terrified and basically run around getting nothing done. Overall a pretty frustrating experience.
When the food finally arrived, it was admitedly pretty good... and the wine as well. Prices also very reasonable.

• Visited March 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Interesting food, staff variable!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Much as other reviewers, we found the food to be very good and interesting, certainly worth trying if in the Loire Valley, though the service was very patchy - I guess it depends who you are and have waiting on.

Asparagus as a desert was a surprise, yet suprisingly good.

• Visited July 2012