This was our 1st trip through the Loire Valley. Since we toured around with our own vehicle, we were free to choose amongst the many hotels and B&B's in the region. A few factors led us to stay at Le Grand Monarque: location en route driving west to east; the great reviews; cost; pet-friendly. We travelled as a married couple with 2 dogs & a vehicle.
- ROOMS: we booked a standard double room for 1 nights- 76 euro ($100/night); we stayed in the room immediately up the stairs & to the right. We are accustomed to the varying sizes of European hotel rooms (ranging from almost non-existant in Paris to larger apartment-type hotels elsewhere.) Le Grand Monarque did not disappoint; the standard room had a wonderful amount of space, and even a nook with an additional single bed. The bathroom was sizable.
- HOTEL DINING: we did not check-in in time to make the dinner service, however 1 member of our group enjoyed the breakfast.
- PARKING: a large, free car park available just in front of the hotel.
- PETS: we brought our 2-medium sized dogs & the hotel was most understanding.
- WiFi: provided free-of-charge & in room.
- VILLAGE DINING: we arrived close to 9 PM on a Saturday night, however most of the restaurants in the village had stopped serving dinner (though partons were still eating.) The only place we found was La Ridelloise on Rue Carnot.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay in a quiet village. However, we did not use the hotel/village as a "base" for the Loire Valley castle tours, as we arrived in the evening after touring and left the next morning to continue east (did not visit the castle there). Would absolutely stay again if we toured through Azay le Rideau. Otherwise, we would probably seek accommodations in another village.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Le Grand Monarque reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Grand Monarque Azay Rideau