“Absolutely Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Vieux Manoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amboise
Le Vieux Manoir
Ranked #1 of 31 Amboise B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The highlight of our visit to the Loire Valley was staying here! We enjoyed the chateux but the weather wasn't cooperative (extremely hot!) and we were happy to get out of the heat to the comfort of Le Vieux ! Gloria and Bob have done a fantastic job both inside and out. The decor is warm, welcoming and absolutely gorgeous and the gardens are so beautiful that I wanted to linger longer. Gloria was extremely helpful, making our restaurant reservations and helping plan our day trips. The breakfast was delicious and included with the room. If our future travels bring us to this part of France, we will make a point to stay at Le Vieux Manoir !

Room Tip: We were in two different rooms and although different, they were equally beautiful and comfortable...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife had frequently expressed a desire to visit the chateaux of the Loire valley, so in celebration of our 35th anniversary, we planned a longish vacation to France: a couple of days in Paris to recover from jet lag (and revisit favorite restaurants!), a week or so in the Loire, then back to Paris for a few more days before returning to the states. While we were comfortable with the “who, what, when, and where” of Paris, our knowledge of the Loire was, to say the least, deficient. However, early on in our planning, we discovered Le Vieux Manoir and its owners, Bob and Gloria. After an exchange of several emails with Gloria, we ended up committing to ten days in Amboise at the B&B. What I did not realize at the time was that my deposit with Le Vieux Manoir reserved both a beautiful room (at easily the nicest B&B we've ever visited – I’d describe in detail, but I’d just repeat the other “excellent” reviews) AND the knowledge and advice of one “Fussy Old Lady” – her self-description, NOT mine!

Okay, I’m now speaking to my fellow baby-boomers. The kids are grown and gone, you've got some disposable income, and you've always wanted to experience more of France than the package and/or riverboat tours permit. Here’s what to do: contact Gloria and Bob; work out some dates (and if you can afford both the time and the money, DON’T cheat yourselves by trying to cram too much into too few days – after all, we’re not in our twenties!), then make plans to stay at Le Vieux Manoir. When the day of your visit comes, arrive at the front door, accept the first of many glasses of wine to come, sit in the living room with Gloria (at her desk), tell her what you want to do, and let her guide you in planning your Loire excursions: to chateaux (of course), to wineries and caves, to historic and other sites NOT included in certain blue cover travel books, and, naturally enough, to wonderful (and non-touristy) restaurants in and to the east and west of Amboise. Spend some time with her and Bob (who is a jack-of-all-trades), and you will quickly understand why I titled this review as I did.

I can’t imagine having had a better celebration of our 35th anniversary. Without question, the reason why was Le Vieux Manoir and its owners, who went beyond all reasonable expectations in welcoming us to their home – both the wonderful B&B, and the Loire Valley. Bob and Gloria are consummate hosts, and we look forward to visiting them again in the future.

Room Tip: Our room -- Colette -- was superb; and looked out over the beautiful front entrance to Le Vieux Mano...
2 Thank cjackson27
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This charming B & B is in a great location if visiting the Louvre Valley and is within walking distance from the town centre. Our smallish room (Madame de Lafayette) was delightfully decorated with lovely period furniture, An unusual,but practical,bathroom with a shower/bath behind two doors within the bedroom area was an innovative use of space. Gloria was extremely helpful in recommending great restaurants and had excellent knowledge of local/regional chateaus etc. A lovely breakfast was served in the conservatory and welcoming drinks upon arrival. Free onsite parking available - beautiful property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chez549
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I had such a wonderful and memorable stay at Le Vieux Manoir from June 21-24. We were in awe of the entire b&b experience andn were impressed by the details that definitely added to the experience. I'm referring to the large, plush, bath towels in the room, the handmade, scented soaps, the beautiful china used for breakfast and the breakfast itself we looked forward to each morning. This was our favourite b&b breakfast in all of France .... French press coffee, a delicious, different fruit option each morning, a copious selection of french pastries, croissants, breads and cheeses. The view of the beautiful, outdoor garden, while enjoying breakfast was such a treat. Our room (La Fayatte) was so quaint and tastefully decorated, a common theme throughout the common areas. The location was perfect; close to shopping the main streets and nearby attractions. It was a very special experience and a pleasure to chat with Gloria and Bob about the Loire Valley and recommended attractions. Thank you Gloria for recommending Oradour on our way to Sarlat. We look forward to our next stay at your special home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Le Vieux Manoir July 13 and July 14 and had a wonderful weekend. Le Vieux Manoir is absolutely beautiful, even to the smallest details. Gloria was very helpful, giving us tips on French, making reservations for lovely restaurants, renting bikes for us at the very last minute, and giving us directions to nearby chateaus We enjoyed our conversations with Gloria. Oh, and the breakfast! It was the best we had while we traveled in France. We definitely recommend Le Vieux Manoir!

Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I travel a great deal and almost always stay in a B&B or vacation rental. Le Vieux Manoir may be the most impressive place I've ever stayed.

From the non-descript alley, we weren't too sure what to expect. However, from the moment we stepped through the gate, we were completely charmed. The chateau is very conveniently in the middle of town but is a quiet, garden-enclosed oasis. Gloria supervised the renovations herself and left no detail to chance.

Gloria seems permanently ensconced in the living room, where wine is served to guests in the late afternoon and cordials are available in the evening. Gloria uses these opportunities to connect guests to each other and to determine how she can help with reservations or planning. When we went to dinner along the busy street near the Chateau, we discovered how important Gloria's connections were, since most propective diners were turned away.

The room was perfect. Though fairly small, the antique wardrobe and sink cabinet, love seat and beautiful appointments made it comfortable and cozy. The tub/shower was cleverly tucked into a corner of the room.

Breakfast, a very "thorough" continental buffet, was graciously served in a conservatory overlooking beautiful gardens. As with everything else about Le Vieux Manoir, presentation was perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Louviers
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Thank goodness we were not booked at this hotel. We got it confused with the Manoir St. Thomas, by the time we figured out we had the wrong place we were just happy to get away. When we pulled in with our children, Gloria, the owner, made one of the most disgusted faces I have ever seen. This is a women who really dislikes children! When we realized our mistake and asked to check our email to find the name of the place where we had a reservation Gloria asked us 'to do that somewhere else'. Sometimes people have a bad day, but I would think that being in the hospitality industry one would be somewhat hospitable. We were so glad to walk into the Manoir St. Thomas and have the owner smile at us and welcome us. Strange, Gloria is an American and her place is recommended by Rick Steves, but for a warm welcome I would look elsewhere. Now I am sure this oldladyFrance will say something awful about us (we were only there for five minutes) as I see she leaves very rude replies to anybody who does not care for her establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Kent S
fussyoldlady, Owner at Le Vieux Manoir, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
First, I do like children and we have famlies who return often with theirs throughout the years.....When you where halfway up the path to the Manoir I came out to tell you that you were in the wrong place...But no, you where certain I had made a mistake and you where going to prove it....I hadn't, and when you insisted on my proving it....we came into my office,where I gave you a map showing you where The Manoir St. Thomas was, two blocks away, and then you wanted to read your emails? Huh....by that time i had given you all the correct answers and was waiting for the doctor for a guest who was ill....i sent you in the right direction, despite your bad manners, with the map in your hand. I don't know what more I could have done. Next time, you might consider that other people may be right and you could possibly be wrong...