“Simple but great!”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Amboise
London, United Kingdom
“Simple but great!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at Le Blason for 5 days early September.
Our room was small, as is the shower/toilet, but it is an old building, and we had no complaint. The hotel owners were very friendly, continental breakfast was good, and our room was very quiet at night,having double glazing.
Just a few minutes walk into the town centre. One issue- there is no lift and steepish stairs. It could be difficult for old or infirm people.
Good value, and we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Pick a superior room on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
le busseau france
Reviewed October 11, 2012

we have just returned from two nights in amboise at the hotel le blason.
great hotel very quiet and in a excellent position close to everything and yet out of the noise of a large town.easy parking opposite not necessary to park in private car park.
the breakfast was one of the best we have had in france plenty of fresh bread, croissants, etc.good hot coffee and real orange juice as much as you want.
we shall go back.

Room Tip: quiet non smoking rooms sound proof
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank victoriaal
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We loved this little place! Walking distance to the two main attractions we wanted to see in Amboise (Château d'Amboise and Château du Clos Lucé), as well as to many of the shops and restaurants. Loved the 16th century structure they've made into this very cute hotel! The breakfast room was beautifully decorated, and the continental style breakfast was very nice. The staff were all very helpful, especially when I had to make a frantic call to the front desk from my cell phone when I thought we were going to be there very late the first night, with me able to speak no French. The young man at the front desk was extremely kind and patient with me and put my mind at ease that all would be fine, which it was.

I would suggest that if you stay on the second floor, as we did, when you enter the one hallway there is a step UP that you don't have any warning about; and the first night, before I realized there were short-time light switches you could use in the hallways, I tripped over it and proceeded to stumble and slam against the door of a likely sleeping, unsuspecting fellow guest. It would be helpful to have that step illuminated or some type of warning, as an elderly person could have been seriously hurt.

And as some other reviewers whined about in the negative reviews for this place, yes, the bathroom is indeed very, very tiny, but if you're like me and NOT a demanding, American princess and care mostly about things functioning properly and being clean, then it was just all part of the adventure to me. After 6 trips to Europe, I've learned that part of the fun IS the differences you experience there. There was no hair dryer, which was a momentary disappointment, but I just turned on the radiator and tussled my (very long and thick) hair over the radiator heat for a while, and it worked just fine.

If you appreciate a little quirkiness and are OK with a really basic room for a really great price in a really great location, then you will love this little place. Oh ... and other reviewers complained about no A/C. We traveled in late September, and it was rainy and chilly, so we didn't need A/C, though there was a little unit of some kind in our room on the second floor. And I would actually have to agree with those who complained of road noise. The hotel does sit on a street that during busier hours is pretty loud with cars and motorcycles, but with the window shut it wasn't that bad. If you travel in the summer and are in a room without A/C on a lower floor and have to keep the windows open, I could actually see that being a nuisance. But this review is for our experience, which we would rate as excellent.

1 Thank Ingrid4444
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

As one night in a multi-day trip, we made a mistake. The hotel is well located in the town centre and has a garage but otherwise was a great disappointment. The shower room was smaller than we had experienced on the boat, added to which the shower head was loose and needed holding during use.
The sink drained very slowly and there was a rack hung on the wall which kept falling off. The door needed slamming and the steam extraction did not seem to function.
The carpet was stained as if a cleaner had spilled some bathroom cleaning solution on it.
I can not remember why I booked this hotel as I am usually careful and consult Tripadvisor. I shall certainly be more careful in future

1 Thank oldcarman
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Le Blason was very nice. The staff treated us very well. My wife speaks French fluently, but I do not. However they treated me just as well as they treated her.

Some people have mentioned that there is no air conditioning on the lower floors. We had seen that on their website, but because we live in the High Desert Southwest US, we are accustomed to a wide range of temperatures, and therefore didn't reserve an air-conditioned room (freeing up one for someone not as accustomed to temperature variations). It was warm during our visit (mid September), but not bad at all.

Yes the bathroom was small but I can imagine that until recently, as in many older European hotels, it had few/no in-suite rooms (bathrooms normally were down the hall). Therefore, putting a bathroom in an already-small room means a tiny bathroom. It's a pretty common scenario but we take it in stride. All in all a pretty nice place to visit.

Room Tip: Only top floor has air-conditioned rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulPH
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here with my son and was unimpressed. The bathroom was the smallest I've seen outside of an RV, the carpet thin and stained, and the wireless connection was so bad I finally gave up and walked to the lobby to update email and check the weather forecast. Breakfast was expensive and not worth it--the only cheese offered was "Laughing Cow" wrapped cheese you can buy in an American supermarket and otherwise included breads (those were excellent of course) and yogurt. Service and location were both good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed in a family room at Le Blason. The room was small and the bathroom tiny, but we really enjoyed our stay anyway. We had very good service and liked the breakfast, which was simple but plentiful. The owner gave us helpful advice for sightseeing. The location was good and we were able to walk to dinner and explore on foot. There was also free parking on the street right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family