Tripadvisor
Amboise
Post
Inbox
Search

“Stay away if you don't know French”
Review of L'Epicerie

L'Epicerie
Ranked #22 of 103 Restaurants in Amboise
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have to say this was the most unwelcoming place we encountered during 2 weeks in France. The wait staff knows very little English we know only a little French. When it came to questioning some menu items, there was just no ability to get any information other that the name of the meat contained from the menu- no translation available. When I asked for someone who knew English, we waited a long time for someone who still could not describe a dish. As a result, we both ordered something we did not like, and I could not eat mine at all. When I asked the manager if I could get something else, the answer was NO. So honestly I can't say too much about the main dishes, but the salad and wine were OK. Luckily I had been eating well other places and just went without a dinner. I would not eat here again. Oh, and if you are wondering, I ordered pork and potatoes, thinking that it would be sliced pork, but it was a traditional French pork sausage that stuffed with all sorts of bigger and varied chunks and strings of things... ugh. Probably it is good to people who eat this.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (976)

Reviewed November 10, 2019

We both had the 4 course meal plus a bottle of phouilly fume .,from the flies gras to the escargots to the duck risotto and the mink fish what a meal. Very attentive service by the staff of ladies. The cheese selection was awesome including local cheese. The creme Brule topped off the night. Everything was excellent. The restaurant was full as they were turning people away. Fun atmosphere and a fun night. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 28, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I were pleased with the prices and the wine. The food was delicious, but if you have to eat gluten free beware! They do not have a clear understanding, but come across as if they do. There may have been croutons in my gazpacho, and there was definitely pasta on my plate of chicken. My husband traded meals with me, but if you have celiac, don't risk coming here.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 13, 2019

I've been dining at L'Epicerie for over ten years now, and usually the standard is good. However, our experience last Saturday was poor. We chose from the à la carte menu: one of us took the lieu noir, another chicken, and a third ordered a steak à point. Whether they were understaffed, whether they had changed chefs is a mystery, but what is not mysterious is that we waited nearly an hour for a fish that was just about OK, a chicken that was moderately good, and a steak that was inedible. Of course we sent it back, and there was no problem about it being taken off the bill. But, and this is main point of this review, there was no apology, and no attempt at a commercial gesture, even such as offering a free cup of coffee. Of course a restaurant is at the mercy of its suppliers, but a chef really should be on the ball sufficiently to check the quality of his/her produce, and the staff should be trained to be more understanding if things go wrong. It will be some time, given the competition in Amboise, before I risk returning to L'Epicerie.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 12, 2019

We visited this charming little restaurant in September 2019, on the suggestion of our host at our bed & Breakfast! What w wonderful little place! She made reservations, and we're glad she did, as they were turning people away at the door! It is a true French restaurant, with wonderful meals and good service! This was a wonderfully experience for us!!

Date of visit: September 2019