“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: French
Marlow
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We recently had a meal here for our last night in France but what a mistake! It was quite the worst meal we experienced in almost 3 weeks of holiday. The only positive note was that the waiter was pleasant and attentive and doing his best but he had a poor product to work with!!
I ordered the most expensive 'menu' and my husband had a cheaper one. He chose soup as a starter and I have never tasted soup like it! It was thin, tasteless and bore more than a passing resemblance to dishwater! My snails were by far the best part of the meal but I felt so sorry for my husband that I had to share them with him! Neither of us enjoyed the main course (mine was duck and his was beef and both were tough and came with very stodgy potato dauphinoise and some weird overcooked veg described as ratatouille but not remotely like any I had seen before. My cheese course was good but not very generous. My dessert was awful - creme caramel which is usually my favourite but was so solid that I couldn't even finish it (a first for me!!) My husband had wisely given up by this point and so didn't bother with either course (but then did eat half of my cheese!!)

The restaurant was deserted - we thought it was because we ate early but now would guess that it has a poor local reputation. We would strongly recommend that you choose one of the other restaurants in this town - and there are a number. We ate across the road on the previous evening, which was not without a few negatives, but the food was far superior for the same price. We wished that we had returned there or splashed out and gone for the very expensive restaurant next door!!

• Visited June 2012