Le Relais Bernard Loiseau
Hotel Golf Chateau de Chailly(Chailly-sur-Armancon)
$202
Hotel du Nord(Quarre-les-Tombes)
$83
TripAdvisor
Auberge du Morvan(Alligny en Morvan)
La Morvandelle(Montsauche-les-Settons)
Auberge de l'Atre(Quarre-les-Tombes)
  • Free Internet
Hostellerie d'Aussois(Semur-en-Auxois)
Hotel du Commerce(Pouilly-en-Auxois)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsamuse bouchehotel gardenprivate patiolovely hotellovely bedroomsmall towngastronomic experienceextensive wine lista lovely stayspacious roomtop floormichelin stardiscovery packagesouth of franceblwinesburgundy
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed for one night and were treated as long lost friends on arrival. They could not do enough for us, our comfort was their whole purpose. The food was sublime. Well worth every penny.

Room Tip: We had room number 1 and over looked the garden, quiet and a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed at the Le Relais Bernard Louiseau resort for one evening and also enjoyed dinner at their restaurant. The restaurant, which has 3 micheline stars, did not disappoint, food, atmosphere, and service were all wonderful and this is truly a world class dining experience. The hotel on the other hand was not up to the same standard. This is not to say that it is in way bad. On the contrary it was indeed a wonderful experience but there were a few things that were missing. Number one is they really don't have a concierge. Perhaps they don't feel they need one, but if your going to call yourself a five star resort I don't see how you can get away with not offering that level of service. We also spent some time at their pool which is situated amongst some very well taken care of gardens. There are towels and lounges and umbrellas for guest use, but not once during our 2 hours of poolside lounging did anyone from the hotel come by to see how we were doing. No food or beverages are offered here. I get the sense that this hotel is more like an Inn where the restaurant is really the centerpience of the experience and the Inn offers a quiet, luxurious setting where one can relax. I would certainly return to the Bernard Loiseau, and I woujld recommend that others do as well, I only felt it appropriate to point out some minor shortcomings which I feel the educated traveler should be aware of in advance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gumdoc45
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We had a 2-night getaway at Relais Bernard Loiseau, based on the small distance from Paris, but mostly on its reputation. I can't believe I stayed at the same place as the 2 previous reviewers.

Reservation and special arrangements were made 2 months ahead of stay over the phone with a charming attendant who took well over 30 minutes to describe the different rooms, which ones I could prefer, what I would like to get, when I would like to get it. It was real customization.
We added an extra night on top of the suite package, in a Junior Suite.

We turned at 8.30pm on a friday night. There was no staff fighting over helping us take the luggage out of the car. But once we actually got inside the hotel, welcome was warm, and valet took the car away (foc), only to park it in front of the door the next morning.

The Junior Suite we had on the top floor was actually a duplex, with the main floor (dressing room, toilet and bathroom) just out of a good renovation. Stunning execution. The final result is beautiful, modern, crisp while blending in with the ancient tiles on the floor. It is true that the towels were not the biggest I encountered, but it is now standard policy to put just a couple, and let the customer ask for more, which I did, and which were delivered every day at every service. Penny saving dressed as environment conscience, I know, but that's just the way it is.
Very quiet environment, looking over the courtyard. I was not even aware that some accomodations were facing either street -I am surprised.

Part of the amenity was waiting for us in the room. Another part was brought up while we were out for dinner. The last part of the amenity was brought up before dinner on the second day ; the could upgrade the local bubbly (even if it is a selection from the sommelier) for some "real" stuff I think, but that's the only minor I would put. Requesting for something to nibble, the server brought a selection of canapés we were to have again at dinner.

Dinner was outstanding. I am not interested in experiencing spectacular dining the type of Blumenthal's Fat Duck. Not for me.
Here is served the quintessential classical french cuisine. Just amazing ingredients, educated creativity, faultless execution. We are used to Michelin 3-star restaurants. We had a great, and I men a really GREAT time. Service is perfect, if not in a hurry. No attitude, just the right amount of friendliness. They never pushed us to overspend ; we were on a package, which included the 7-course discovery meal, a bottle of Deutz Champagne, a bottle of Chablis, and a bottle of red Pommard, plus bottled water and coffee. A bargain in our view.

We were not thrilled by breakfast. It is good ans tasty, but not decadent, and in our experience the only sub-par bit in an overall outstanding experience.

All the staff goes the extra step to please you. They always use the perfect tone, the right attitude. One morning, the sommelier spent 30 minutes of his time making a vineyard itinerary for us to buy wines in the afternoon.

We would definitely return any time to this Relais & Chateaux, which is the perfect experience of a countryside auberge, modernized, remote from any wannabe dusty castle experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PASCAL H
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I had high expectations for this hotel given that it had a 3 Michelin star restaurant and I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is charming. The decoration is a bit eclectic with a mix of traditional (the drawing rooms) and modern (the bar area). The spa is functional, but on the small side. The sauna and swimming pools felt a bit cramped.

We had a superior room was was large and comfortable, particularly the bathroom. It was at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden so it was very peaceful and quiet. Reading some other comments, it looks like it's worth requesting a room towards the back to avoid any street noise.

The service was excellent from the moment we arrived to the time we departed. The staff was professional and very friendly. Our meal was excellent. We were served an aperitif and amuse-bouche in the bar area followed by dinner in the restaurant. I would recommend ordering the menu vs. a la carte which tends to be more expensive. The menu also gives you the option to taste various dishes.

The hotel and restaurant are by no means cheap, but keeping in mind that it is meant to be a luxury "country inn" I think that overall the place delivers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was a classic example of what might have been a good hote, but is now resting on its laurels and trading on the reputation of its now sadly deceased chef patron. The hotel was very over commercialised, and the staff excelled in upselling guests anything they could whether it was on the menu or off it, often with no indication of what you were having to pay.
We have eaten at many 3 star restaurants and have without question had a wonderful and inspiring experience. This was not the case here. Although the service in the restaurant was good, the food was no better than mediocre, and certainly not remarkable. We ate a la carte, and it was not a success. I tried the legendary frogs legs which were ok but nothing special. My other half had what can only be described as a trio of miniature vegetables (pumpkin, artichoke and turnip on a sliver of nearly raw parsnip) as recommended by the waiter which although pretty to look at was a staggering €68. What astonished us was that other people didn't seem to think they were being taken for a ride, and the restaurant looked pretty full.
Rooms were ok but noisy if you face the road (which you do on two sides), but the bathroom had the smallest towels I have ever seen, and only two of them. Breakfast is very expensive and very bad. Poor vienoisserie and average coffee. Better to walk in to town and take a fresh coffee and croissant at a cafe. On its present form avoid this place, as a downgrading must be in the offing. We will not be going back.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family