“Be warned!”

La Chouette qui Chante
Ranked #3 of 3 Saulieu B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This B&B had some good reviews so we decided to book here. Do yourself a favor and skip this place, you will probably regret it if you didn’t.

We were travelling with 4 adults and 2 babies so when we were searching for a nice place to stay we had some requirements like a large house, garden and swimming pool (because of the heat). We emailed several times with the owner to make sure everything was in order. It was our first time travelling with babies so we needed to make sure the place was suitable. The owner ensured us we could stay in the main house and would have the pool all by ourselves.

When we arrived it turned out there wasn’t a pool! No pool whatsoever! The picture on the website wasn’t from the property and actually they were building the pool the moment we arrived. The owner was there and told us the former quests broke the pool and she ensured us that on monday the pool was finished. Well it didn’t. The whole week construction workers made terrible noises to construct the pool and we didn’t had the chance to swim.

But this wasn’t all.

The house was very dirty when we came in. The kitchen wasn’t cleaned. The stove was covered in fat and dust, the floor was sticky, there were leftovers in the fridge and so on. The next couple of days we had to deal with a fly infestation. I still don’t know how or why this happened, but I have never seen so many flies together in my live. There were hundreds and hundreds of flies in the kitchen and living room. We couldn’t eat or stay in these rooms and had to contact the owners. Maybe there is a leak in the septic tank or some dead mouse we didn’t know so we went over to the owners house to report this fly problem. Surprisingly we got a lousy reaction. The owner responded that they also had some flies in the house. Uninterested and unwilling to take a look at the problem at hand they told us to keep the windows shut. Somewhat baffled by her reaction we decided to buy all sorts of fly repelling products. The next couple of days, we caught hundreds of flies and managed to keep them a bit away from the food we had to prepare. We tried to stay away from the kitchen as much as possible.

But this wasn’t all.

Then there was the dishwasher. Well actually there wasn’t, it was broken. On the first day we told the owner and she again told us the former quests broke it. She told us she would install a new one. This wasn’t done for 5 days later but that didn’t settle this story. The guy who installed the dishwasher used a special converter to plug the machine in. This converter was only suitable for non earthed appliances so when I touched the inside of the dishwasher I got a 230V shock. I don’t know how on earth this is even possible, but it is. You might think this is a funny story, but imagine me having my little baby on my arm when opening this dishwasher from hell. It could potentially kill him. You know what happened when we confronted the owner of this problem? Her husband Steve came outside being all mad at us. He told us that it wasn’t his problem and we should simply not use the machine. Also he started about the fly problem and why we even came to his house to address this issue. His idea of running a B&B is that you get the keys and do your own thing. Not troubling the owners with issues which are clearly their responsibility and even agreed upon by mail. This guy Steve was totally unreasonable even started yelling at us when we told him he was neglecting on the pool part. Steve said the emails aren’t bound so from his point of view he wasn’t owing us anything. Can you imagine the looks on our faces? Words cannot describe how I feel about these people, pitty mostly.

I figured out that this place was taken over by Tracey and Steve. Probably the former owners took better care of the place and guests.

If we hadn’t had the babies with us we would have moved away on day 3. I took pictures of everything that was wrong that week.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Timay_VD
Steve D, Owner at La Chouette qui Chante, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

There is not alot I cq=an add to this rather lengthy review but in short, we advised due to soaring temperatures it would be advisable to keep windows closed or if open, at least use the shutters to provide a comfortable ambiance in the rooms. Clearly our advice was not taken and we were the subject of an attack that we had unwittingly asked all creatures great and small to flock into the bedrooms and rest of the house !
The dishwasher incident was a simple case of old age and stoppoed mid\cycle which is one of those things. We drove 60 miles the next day to purchase a new machine which was installed the same day by our qualified electricians on site. Clearly the guests were not satisfied with this efficiency and confused vibrations from the machine as a faulty connection and did not use the machine again but left all dirty dishes and pots everywhere in the property.
I can assure that past and future guests have and will always arrive at our house that is in tip top condition with cleanliness a high priority, perhaps that the clients arrived 4 hours before normal check-in time , insisting on entering the property early if possible, that my wife Tracey may have forgotten empty the kitchen bin !
The swimming pool was a new addition for 2013 but was in working order and work was minor snagging to ensure the safety of the guests.
All in all this was a young family that were clearly not cut out for a holiday in the country but one that we bent over backwards for on every matter that was highlighted but unfortunately was not good enough.
I do hope that you have the confidence of all our regular guests reviews and you are not put off at staying at this truly magnificent location in France.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sorry it has taken me so long to post a review but I am just about to book again and remembered that I hadn't gotten round to writing a review yet. We have stayed twice now at this b&b, once in the b&b, March 2012 and then again in June 2012 in one of the gites. We used the b&b on our way down to the South and found it so nice that we decided to rent one of the gites so we could spend more time in this beautiful area. Steve and Tracey made us feel at home straightawy and by the time we left we felt like we had been friends for a long time. Our room was delightful - just the right amount of chic without being too overdone and fussy. Great bathroom and breakfast was a real treat - beautiful fresh croissants. The gite was just perfect for our 2nd visit as it gave us the flexibility to go out and explore and then come back and chill in the beautiful peaceful countryside. We are very excited to be returning again this summer and hope you can accommodate us again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

La Chouette qui Chante is a gem! I had two nights in this lovely house, one whilst travelling North to South and then again on my return journey. The standard of accommodation is first class and nothing is too much trouble to the new owners Steve and Tracey. On my way South it was still very warm, so dinner was barbecued meats and salads served on the terrace in the lovely garden. On my way back North, the weather had changed and I was treated to roaring log fires and again a great meal. The house wine is of a great quality with a choice of red, rose and white. I had the same room with ensuite bathroom on both visits. The bed was very comfortable with egyptian cotton sheets and there were lovely toiletries in the bathroom. La Chouette qui Chante is a real find and I would have loved to have had the time to stay longer and explore the area which is absolutely stunning. I will definately be recommending this Chambre d' hote and indeed the two individual Gites across the road, which are also beautifully decorated to friends and family and next time I am driving through France I will definately set the Sat Nav for La Motte Ternant. Thanks Steve and Tracey for making me so welcome in your lovely home in beautiful Burgundy....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tia04
Steve D, Owner at La Chouette qui Chante, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

We are so very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations for your two night stay at La Chouette qui Chante and look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Steve & Tracey.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Better late than never ... In September 2010, celebrating our 25th anniversary, an overnight stay while travelling between Paris and Zurich, became a very memorable experience. The accommodation was outstanding. The hosts John and Anne Marie were very welcoming and hospitable. An older building that they’ve refurbished is excellent. We picked this place as we wanted to experience rural France and were not disappointed. The location although a little hard to find without a GPS was perfect. We walked around the area and it was truly breathtaking. We stayed in that night instead of going out for dinner and never regretted it. Anne Marie put out a fantastic spread, better than anticipated. She is a terrific cook; as well the breakfast was excellent. We had a very enjoyable evening sharing a conversation and laughter with them and with another couple that was staying there as well. A B&B that we truly recommend and wouldn’t think twice in going back. … Thank you John and Anne Marie.
Dominic and Laura

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dominic S
Reviewed August 17, 2011

In June this year we visted here again. We had enjoyed our trip so much last year we booked to visit at the same time this year the day we left! My in laws came with us this time and rented the other gite/apartment and it worked beautifully. Because each gite is self contained you have all the advantages and fun of holidaying together but all the privacy you prefer when you're having down time.

We revisited some places locally Flaviny, Auxois and Saulieu can never get boring! But we also visited some new places. I just think this area is a gem, quiet, relaxing and yet steeped in history both ancient and modern. We all enjoyed visiting areas that had a lot of Maquis and resistance history and we discovered the 'lake district' on this visit too. And still after two visits I feel we could (and will) visit again and see new things and have new experiences.

As I have said in my previous review and others have noted they can provide everything you need for a small child. We used their cot on this occasion and our little one slept beautifully.

Once again the gites were very clean, beautifully appointed and the hospitality offered by Anne marie and John never disappoints, they are charming and great hosts. We had some meals brought over to us, excellent as previously remembered and we bbq'd on other nights.

We all had a wonderful time, taking other family members worked very well indeed. I would recommend this wonderful piece of tranquility to anyone. Already thinking about when we should go back next year!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ReviewerII
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This was our first trip abroad with our son James (7 months). The gite itself was beautiful and everything a baby could need was provided including baby bath, highchair, plastic plates and cutlery. The meal service, as other guests have already commented, is exceptional. The food is delicious and very reasonably priced and it meant we could fully relax whilst James slept in his cot. The toys, swings and communal garden all helped to keep him entertained.
For those who enjoy their croissant in the morning, bread can be pre-ordered and collected from a shop in the village six days a week. The shop also acts as an unofficial tourist information centre for the area. In nearby Saulieu, the three Michelin star restaurant, Le Relais Bernard Loiseau, is very child friendly.
We really enjoyed our stay and would love to return one day perhaps. with James' grandparents. The way the two gites are situated above a communal area would make them ideal for families traveling together.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is a perfect place- very kid-friendly but also great without kids if you want to explore the Burgundy countryside. Bikes were provided for free, as well as toys and a swing for our daughter.
the setting is lovely, green and open, and the apartments are in a beautiful restored barn.

best of all was the in-room meal service- excellent food with good house wine, great meal, no washing up, while our daughter slept we were pampered with lovely dinners without having to go out. great concept.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hello_Bamboo
percy_jpw, Owner at La Chouette qui Chante, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your review of your stay with us
We are always pleased to hear that guests have truly enjoyed their time with us.
Our very best wishes,