“Diamond in the rough!”

Ranked #47 of 622 Restaurants in Dijon
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Amazing grill/restaurant! Nice selection of meats for grilling, I had the pork filet mignon w/mushroom risotto & dijon mustard..simply delectable! My friend had the beef tournedos w/ morels, sweet potato mash & pepper sauce...he loved it!
The place has a cozy & rustic feeling with the grill being a show piece, service was delightful & efficient, prices were very reasonable. Highly recommend you make a reservation, as we arrived as soon as they open (1930) & we were lucky to get the last table available. Very worth the visit! Thanks TA people for making another wonderful dinner recommendation! :-)

1  Thank ucfhoney

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a great night here last Thursday. Good amount of outdoor seating so we managed to get a table at 7:30 (early I know). By the time we left it was packed, around 9 or 930. We started out with some kir, dry / cheap white wine with cassis liquor (about 3 € ea/) and came with some little snacks. Had a bottle of wine (~25 €) with dinner which was a duck breast (~18 €) and lamb (~18 €). Both the meat dishes came with risotto, which was a little over cooked. The price / quality of the wine we got wasn't fantastic, but we didn't ask for a recommendation, maybe there was a better choice in our price range. We ended avec un café (biensûr), and the whole dinner came out to about 70 € for both of us.

The service was really amazing, fast, friendly and overall very pleasant. Definitely go here on a Sunday if you aren't sure where to head. The BBQ is a bit expensive, that might just be in comparison to what I can get back in CA, but overall it was fun, and the food was good.

1  Thank SneakyCreekan
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went there twice while in Dijon. The first time was by default, as very few restaurants are open Sunday night in Dijon, and choice is minimal. I was a little concerned about the grill [didn't really want a barbecue place], but it is just one of the tools of the kitchen. The service was very friendly and the food excellent, so we returned another night for a second great dinner.

There is an extensive wine list as well. I followed the waiter's suggestion [rare for me] and chose a modestly priced but excellent Hautes-Côtes de Nuit.

The restaurant is located at the Hotel Le Sauvage, 64, rue Monge, Dijon, but is independent from it.

1  Thank takki2
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Le Sauvage has a great atmosphere - we booked for a Sunday night at 19:30, and already there were patrons there. It's a warm inviting restaurant, and the service was great. Our waiter didn't speak a lot of English, but was happy to play a bit of charades with us to explain the cuts of meats!

There is a massive grill inside the restaurant, but it never smells smoky nor do you leave the restaurant smelling like food. We started the evening with a local appetiser of Kir, and they bring you some nibbles of popcorn, vegetables (cauliflower, carrot, baby tomatoes) with dip, as well as bread.

Starters were good enough - eggs in red wine sauce (a regional specialty) was well executed, but the frogs legs with crayfish was a let down (overcooked and we think the ingredients had been frozen rather than fresh).

The star of the evening were the mains - if you are a meat lover, you will not be disappointed. The servings are huge!! The pigeon is highly recommended (you get 4 medium sized pieces) and the steak is chargrilled and juicy (ask for it cooked longer than you would normally expect, our steak came out more rare than medium rare). We were so full we couldn't even finish our mains!

It was well priced - we paid EUR50 per person (one bottle of wine, kir, tap water, starter and main - we didn't order any desserts).

2  Thank snow_winky
Reviewed May 5, 2013

If you are in Dijon on a Sunday or Sunday night don't bother doing any further research for dinner. Practically nothing is open.. I telephoned at least 25 other restaurants before agreeing to dine here. I don't eat much meat and thought this would be expensive BBQ. Well, it is, but it is more than that.
If you don't need gourmet food then the cafes around the square where this restaurant is located might suit you. Other than that the town offers a Chinese, a Japanese, a couple of Italian, and a couple of Moroccan choices. If you want a gourmet French meal on a Sunday night this is a good choice (and also your only choice).
I had an entree of three kinds of foie gras to start followed by rack of lamb. My husband had a salad with goat cheese and a main dish of duck breast. I ordered my lamb au point which I believe means medium rare (pink). It arrived too rare. I was afraid to send it back- sometime am takes too much time and ruins the momentum of the meal but my dish was returned perfectly done in 5 minutes.
The wines by the glass were good and reasonable and the waiter suggested two different wines to complement my two dishes instead of a small carafe which would not have occurred to me.
I arrived grumpy and left satisfied. A good meal with good service.

4  Thank Amyarizona1