“If You Like Noise and Bad Air...”

Kyriad Dijon - Gare
Ranked #35 of 59 Hotels in Dijon
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Although there's always something fun to watch out the windows...It's hard to imagine a noisier place to attempt sleep. The busiest intersection in town is literally below the windows. Open a window and the room was filled with the smell of exhaust, keep the window closed and the room was often too hot to inhabit. To the left, freight trains, passenger trains and TGV run on 3 elevated tracks about 150 ft from room. The city hospital is just beyond tracks. Sirens all day and night. To the right, gangs of young men heading for the train station across the street scream and argue at all hours. Sidewalks below rooms fill with smokers to add to stinky air quality of hotel rooms.
Desk staff was rude and indifferent except for one woman who should train the others in how to act with customers.
The hotel catered largely to tour companies and always had a few coachloads of tourists in house.
Breakfast of boiled ham and cheese got old fast. The coffee is good and fortunately, there are several great boulangeries nearby.
This hotel is currently trying to get another star, attempting upgrades. A new luggage rack was brought to the room but cannot be opened in the tiny room if a guest wishes to get to bathroom or exit the room.On the surface, the room appeared spotless, further inspection proved otherwise. Changing sheets at least once during a 7 day stay and dirty mattress pads between guests is a novel idea. If you only offer one bath towel and nothing else to guest, it should be a towel that absorbs water and is larger than a dinner napkin. Simple Hotel Rule: toilet paper and soap should be in the room day one and every day after. The 'business' center is actually a 4'x4' closet in the lobby with computer, no air and bad lighting. Fortunately the rooms have fast wifi and you can sit on end of bed to work at a sliver of a desk.
Unless desperate or on a prepaid tour, skip this hotel and get some sleep.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 11, 2010

My 20 year old daughter and another young lady travelled from Newcastle to Dijon as they are studying at the university for 6 months. As they were due to arrive in Dijon fairly late in the evening, they booked a room at this hotel and planned to go to the university the next day to sort out their accommodation. On the morning after their arrival, the girls asked the hotel staff if they could leave their very heavy bags/cases at the hotel for an hour or two until they found their way to the university and sort out their student accommodation. The staff refused permission for them to do this saying that the bagage room was full! This meant that the girls were forced to carry their luggage all over Dijon trying to find the universit,y in very hot weather, resulting in them being very upset and ending up with blisters and strained muscles.
I hope the staff concerned read this review and improve their customer service. It does not cost anything to be helpful or to go that extra mile. I would imagine that it would not have been that hard to find a corner somewhere for the luggage to be stored for a short while.
My husband and I and other members of the family and friends will be visiting Dijon in the next few months, however, none of us will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mam001
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Whilst the hotel qnd the roo, were clean and comfortable enough, we did not get good night's sleep. Throughout the night there was a lot of noise from the street outside - there must be club or something because there were people talking loudly at regular intervals until at least 6 am.

The Kyriad chain has cottoned on to the fact that British and American travellers like tea and coffee making facilities in their rooms, but provide only paper cups, one (!) tea bag and one sachet of coffee in a double room. I've encountered this in other Kyriads too. I wouldn't stay don't stay here, but if you do, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the street.

Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Our stay at the Hotel Kyriad Gare in Dijon was good. For backpackers, the location is ideal and is reasonably priced. The rooms are modest and they are comfortable. The bathroom is no lesser or greater than any other in the usual chain of hotels that we have stayed at previously.

The service during the day was good, and the both of us enjoyed the town and surrounding areas of Dijon immensely. All was great until we had to get up at approximately 5:30 am to catch a train to our next destination. To our behest, our room had no power. We called the front desk, but as per usual the night porter knew absolutely no English. So I proceeded to haul him up to our room to demonstrate the situation, but was met with a shrug of the shoulders. Certainly not good publicity for a hotel. The hot water was also heated by electricity, so it was a navy shower that morning. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed for just one night on a company trip. The corporate booked us there, while the top executives slept at the 4-start Sofitel round the corner, which is really gracious.

I do not usually stay at that kind of hotels. I left the company party early, to make sure I could check-in early. The 'lobby' was reeking of chlorine from the adjacent pool. The guy at front desk looked and behave like he could not be bothered. I had been allocated a twin room, and asked for a double, which alledgedly were unavailable. At that time of check-in, I was extremely surprised, but was not in the mood to start a fight.

The room was ... Well ! I did not hotel rooms could be that small. Think match box. 2 tiny beds for smurfs (I stand over 6' tall). Probably refurbished a few years ago, the finish of the walls was so 1960 ! I do not care about LCD TV sets.I want decent sized comfortable beds. Bathroom was compact, and steam would heavily build-up from a short shower.

Their idea of cleaning is probably vacuuming the middle of the room, but not getting to close to the walls. May be they are afraid of scratching the lovely paint. To my standards, it was not clean. Bathroom seals (tiles) were moldy. Decent bath fixtures, though. I aws happy I had packed some sleepers.

Can't comment about breakfast. The idea of coffee and stale croissants in a chlorine scented room was just more than I could envision.
And I was too busy to check out, and worried to miss my train.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I had to stay in Dijon for 2 1/2 weeks on a tight budget, booked at the last minute. Under those circumstances this was a pretty good find, 40 pounds per night including breakfast, not bad given the price of other available hotels in Dijon at the time, especially considering the convenient location and the recent renovations. Though if you can pay a little more and book farther in advance, you could probably find better.

Incidentally, there's another Kyriad hotel (Dijon Centre) very close to this one, down the main street facing the train station--this one is down the street to the right from the train station. Initially I went to the wrong hotel. I got the impression that one might be slightly nicer.

The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. I had a prepaid voucher and there were no problems with that. When I first arrived they'd put me in a small room in the top floor with slanting roof, a dark hallway only accessible by the elevator not by the regular stairs (only emergency stairs on alarm); I found it rather claustrophobic and asked to be moved to another room on a lower floor, which they did immediately. It was a small single facing the back. The furnishings and bathroom were new, nothing too fancy but decent quality. Same for the breakfast buffet, I was perfectly content eating there each morning. The pool was a pleasant amenity. I was occasionally bothered by noise from conversation in the hallway (amazing how some people don't stop to consider that there are other people staying in the place, and you can hear everything just on the other side of the door), but facing the back I didn't have noise from the street. The Wifi was working fine when I was there, and free which is great. It's a popular hotel with large groups, so if you arrive or leave at the wrong moment you might find yourself fighting through crowds (though thankfully they use a different room at breakfast).

With a bigger budget and looking farther in advance I would choose a more upscale place, but for the occasion I felt this was a good find, and I wasn't uncomfortable staying for so long.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed June 2, 2007

We stayed here for six nights; the location was good but overall I wouldn't recommend it if you arrive with suitcases and hygiene or amenity standards.

The rooms are barely big enough to hold the beds, so small the bathroom door doubles as a bedroom door, and there is precious little space for suitcases or clothes-no drawers or room to leave a suitcase. The double rooms could work for single occupants with small bags.

Beds are comfortable and breakfast was adequate (aside from the fermenting fruit salad we risked only the first morning).

The bathrooms are fine, except there's no ventilation so the whole room ends up damp for the rest of the day/ There is air conditioning which partially ventilates the space, but it only runs when you are in the room with the key in its power slot. Our room faced the station and the busy road, so leaving the window open wasn't really an option.

It does have a swimming pool, heavily chlorinated, which doesn't open
till 11am, and of course if you have a wet swimsuit it will stay
wet for the duration of your visit since there's nowhere to dry it.

There were really irritating problems with the free WiFi, namely that
it stopped working in the rooms on our second night and when this was reported to the front desk we were told that it worked fine. Another of the desk staff went as far as writing the problem down to report to the director, but since that was Friday night nothing was going to happen till Monday.

The cleaning service is a bit patchy too: my bathtub wasn't cleaned, and reporting the problem to the front desk got a polite smile and nothing more.

Stayed: June 2007