“Great food, great service, great value”

Chapeau Rouge Restaurant William Frachot
Reserve with
Chapeau Rouge Restaurant William Frachot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 608 Restaurants in Dijon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had family dinner here to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was excellent, I loved the foie grass and the rabbit meal with squid, it was surprising but great experience. Sommelier was helpful and the wine he recommended was perfect. Time between the service was perfect as well, we haven't wait too much.I've ordered a cake in advance, we got an delicious chocolate cake with the exact ingredients I've requested.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant definitel needs to part ways with the attached hotel. It's like putting Petrus in a Motel 6. Very odd juxtaposition. Anyway, we had the 7 course tasting/degustation menu, which seemed to expand to 13 courses by the time the various starter and in-between bits were all brought. As far as the creativity of the various elements, the combinations were definitely extreme (wasabi on strawberries and cream?) but it all worked. Standouts were the foie gras with artichokes and tamarillo sorbet, crispy pork belly, a mushroom and vegetable starter, and the aforementioned strawberries. We selected a very nice Chambolle-Musigny to accompany the dishes, allowing the sommelier to upsell us.

It was definitely one of those wonderfully long, lingering, tasting menus where you leave the table after several hours barely able to move. I cannot say it is quite as good as some other higher ranked restaurants I've been to recently, but for Dijon I can't imagine you will find anything better. Just forgot about the bill and enjoy.

2  Thank callmeishmael
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The food is terrific. We had a 7 course surprise menu in William Frachot. The price is quite a bargain for a nice French restaurant for dinner.
One of the starters was pan fried foie gras. It was crispy outside and melt in your mouth. We also,had exceptional shrimp for the mains. The wine was good quality with reasonable price
A little bad side of this restaurant is, the staff is not attentive enough. The wine glass was empty for 5 mins before it was refilled. We expect more for a starred restaurant. Restaurant has poor ventilation, so we eat with sweat.

2  Thank felixli
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After reading all reviews before we started our vacation, we decided to make a reservation with Chapeau Rouge. Because we only had two nights in Dijon and there was no indication I could make reservation in the restaurant's website, it took me some effort to make a reservation. Finally from the website www.thefork.com, I could book the night we preferred as Open Table in US.

The restaurant has modern décor but still very cozy. We were there on Tuesday night. Not crowded but had enough tables for company and had very attentive service. When our lady friend was pouring her own water, it was almost giving the waiter who was just passing by heart attack. He immediately put down everything and rushed to help out. It really gave my partner and me a good laugh.

Overall, the food was very good. It deserved 2 Michelin stars. I just loved its Grand Marnier Souffle. The portion of the dishes was just right for this type of restaurant. With all extra goodies from the chef, you would not leave the restaurant hungry.

Comparing the restaurants in San Francisco, 75 Euro for three courses discovery menu including service charge and tax, it was very reasonable for us.

We really had a great time in this restaurant.

3  Thank TRventure
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food was superb and the service very friendly, they did seem to find it odd that I was traveling solo, but it was worth the visit and the expense.