“Chez Leon Tres Bon”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Chez Leon Tres Bon”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Following a recommendation, we walked from our accomodation to Leon's bar. Just needed a couple of heart starters before dinner.

Then to Chez Leon. Not far away at all.

The restaurant is cozy. Quite busy for a Tuesday night with one large table of locals.

They only provide a "Menu du Jour" at lunch time, but this wasn't advertised as we read the board that was still in the street.

Menu is compact but has enough options to suit most. We had a caraffe of house white which was of excellent quality.

A basket of bread for the table. Plenty for the three of us.

There was only one waitress looking after the entire restaurant and she was busier that a one armed taxi driver with an itch.

Howver she rose to the challenge. No slip ups just excellent service

Now to the vittals.

The two on the opposite side of the table had lamb shanks with mushroom risotto. If they said once more how good it was, I was going to leave.

I had veal kidneys. The waitress did question that I understood the French meaning of rognons (which I did) and was happy to take the order.

They were exquisite. Served with a mushroom sauce and mashed potato. The mash was as smooth as a baby's cheeks.

Prices are very reasonable

All in all, a jolly good time was had by all.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank MurielMelbourne

• Greek first
Dallas, TX
“Maybe too authentic?”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My wife and I had an evening meal in September 2011, recommended by our B&B. The owner, Leon is very nice but did not have good English so communication was difficult. My wife liked her meal ok. I asked Leon to choose a salad and main course for me. The salad was small and very simple and had a slice of some type of meat loaf which Leon seems to take great pride in. I think in America it would be termed head cheese, chunks of wierd meat which I folded up into my napkin and put in my pocket so as not to offend Leon. The steak I ordered was very stringy and tough and had an odd flavor, probably appealing to the French but I could not eat this either. My wife liked her meal ok and was able to eat it. I think this is a place the French would like but does not translate well to the American palate.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank DrDanDMan
Kent, UK
“a great spot for lunch after the Saturday market”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We found this place after visiting the market in Dijon - it's 2 mins walk from there and whilst other restauarants were turning us ( a party of 6 ) away - this place welcomed us with open arms and rearranged tables to accomodate us. Lovely helpful waiter whose regular attention was appreciated by us tourists as well as everyone else who seemed to be local. E13.90 for 2 courses at lunchtime and really tasty it was too. Vegetarian ( inc fish) options on this menu. But best of all was the atmosphere - sitting under the large shade watching the french go by. Only criticism would be the coffee - Nespresso!

• Visited April 2011
Los Altos, CA
“A wonderful spot in Dijon”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

There are many good restaurants in Dijon, but we found this one to offer such a warm welcome, with such good food that we went back twice. I actually had the same dinner both nights- the scallops with shrimp over tagliatelli while my husband tried lamb one night and filet de boeuf on the 2nd night. My husband doesn't even like scallops but couldn't keep his fork away from my plate once he tasted them. Both shrimp and scallops, which can easily get overcooked and rubbery, were perfectly done on both nights. The tagliatelli,on the other hand, was the only disappointment, as it was heavy. It didn't matter to me, though, because I was really only interested in eating the scallops and shrimp. The lamb was superb, better than the beef, although the beef was very good and cooked "a pointe" , as requested. The one waiter who was there was delightful and made the meal ( on both occasions) more than just dinner in a restaurant.

1 Thank garyanddiane