“Congenial atmosphere”

Brasserie Le Francais
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Congenial atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Looking for a place to eat, we chose Le Francais. It looked inviting, but not many people at 7:30. By the time we left the place was packed, and it is a large place. The food has lovely little extras, and the service was very efficient. But indeed the staff is not very friendly, though very correct. For the local people obviously a place to connect - the head waiters were kissing customers left and right, but for outsiders not so much. The food was quite adequate, but the menu is somewhat limited. Nice place, and certainly worth a try when visiting Bourg-en-Bresse.

• Visited September 2012

Lillehammer, Norway
“Food: very good. Service: terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We decided for the whole, roasted Bresse chicken and that was really a success: very juicy and tender. But the waiters were without a smile and very arrogant: we didn't speek French good enough. If I had been Donald Trump I would have told them : You are fired! Conclusion: next time in Bourg-en-Bresse we will pick another place. They do not deserve our money.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank SteinarHov
Somerset UK
“Perhaps the chef was having an off day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Well everybody recommends this place. It's a Parisian brasserie from the 1900's transported to here and the staff act that way, BTW this is good. You are a customer but not on the same level as the waiting staff, definitely below them. If you're happy with that it works well, you don't get any of the 'how are you?' unless you are well known, in which case it's hand shaking until the cows come home.

I have to say the ambiance is great, I had 12 snails really great followed by scollops, - when the scallops came out they were over cooked, so I showed them to the head waiter, 'do you prefer them cooked less?' he asked as though it was a choice people might make - no I wanted them cooked properly. So he took them away. When they came back they were cold in the middle and hardly cooked on the outside. The head waiter was summoned again - 'what's the problem? he asked. I then politely explained that scallops needed to be cooked quickly in a very hot pan, not for along time in a warm pan. He took them back - he didn't charge me for them.

I have to say the place is fantastic and the ambiance is great, shame about the scollops

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank SomersetUKJohn
Den Haag
“We keep coming back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Every time we end up in Bourg en Bresse we end up eating in this fantastic brasserie. The service is old fashioned, in the good way. Lots of attention is given to the clients. Everything we ate was delicious and so were the wines. We're already hoping we'll be back soon!

Merseyside
“Brasserie d'antan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Classic art deco building in which you are served promptly and efficiently by waiters wearing the traditional white apron of old. The menu is extensive and it's perhaps best to stray away from the traditional Poulet de Bresse, upon which the establishment rests its laurels, and go for something more adventurous - last time I had tripe and it was delicious being served in a spicy and alcoholic sauce!! I defy anyone to finish their mousse au chocolate as it is served in a bowl the size of that in which I keep my fruit!! A superb wine list, a bit pricey in parts, can be avoided with equally impressive house wine. In winter sit inside but, in spring & summer, just sit on the terrace and sip your favourite tipple and watch the world go by.

• Visited May 2012