“The best of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Terre D'or

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beaune
La Terre D'or
Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Beaune
Cary, Illinois
“The best of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I recently spent 2 fantastic nights at La Terre D'or. Elodie and Vincent were very accomodating and very considerate people. The wine tour by Vincent was one we will never forget. Burgundy is somewhat of a step back in time with its small (but oustanding) wineries run by familes for generations. This was a great experience that we will never forget.
The accomodations were first class and the wine superb!

Room Tip: Our room in the main building was excellent but in speaking to others in the cottages they were outs...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlD704
LATERREDOR, Propriétaire at La Terre D'or, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I was so so happy to meet you and take you to my best winemakers! Thank you for giving me such a good occasion to "escape" LA TERRE D'OR and have a great day touring the area with you. That's what I like best: introducing you to Burgundy wines, meeting winemakers, sharing a few glasses of wine, speaking about old history and medieval walls... Next time, I'd love to show you the norther part of the wine area, the famous Nuits Slopes, the most prestigious Pinot Noir area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had a lovely stay a La Terre D'or. My husband and I, our daughters (5 and 7) and my parents all met in France for a family vacation in late August. The larger cottage was perfect for our 4 days in Beaune.

About the cottage: It has an open kitchen (small, but all you need for breakfast or light meals and stocked with essentials), living room area, a front and back garden filled with gorgeous flowers, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a sleeping loft with 2 twin beds (perfect for kids). It was very comfortable for the 6 of us. Nicely decorated but not fussy, very bright, and filled with paintings and sculptures done by Vincent's wife. It has both A/C and heat.

About the hotel: The hotel grounds are gorgeous. As others have noted, this is not an "in-town" hotel. You stay here if you want to be 5 minutes from town (by car) but want a quiet retreat among the grape vineyards at night. The gardens, buildings and pool area were all beautifully maintained. Although the buildings are close, the grounds are landscaped in such a way that we felt our cottage was very private. A unique feature of the hotel is the grotto. The house is built over limestone caves that the family excavated and used to store wine. It seems that one winter they decided to excavate a bit further and dug out a really cool underground grotto with hot tub. You can book it, and it is quite fun/unusual. Even if that is not you thing, make sure you take a tour. It still doubles as a wine cave, is filled with sculpture, and you will also notice they have a new cistern system underground that they are using for garden water. All very interesting!

The people: I spent a lot of time selecting a place to stay for this trip. My mother has osteoporosis, a fractured back and walks with a cane. I emailed Vincent and Elodie about her mobility issues, whether the cottage was the right fit, etc. I have to say that they were absolutely lovely in helping me make decisions that made our trip a success, and making my mom feel really comfortable. I knew that we would be arriving around 5 our first evening and that my mom and the kids would have a hard time heading into town on a Sunday night, after our long drive, to look for dinner. Elodie arranged a dinner to be waiting for us in our cottage. (She made the quiche herself and it was excellent!) Perhaps most amazing, my 5 year old left behind her favorite stuffed animal, and before we arrived at our next destination I already had an email from Vincent telling me it had been found and offering to send it to us. What a life saver!

Ask Vincent for sightseeing and restaurant recommendations. He has a good sense of his guests' interests and style.

Only slight hiccup on the whole stay was confusion about the vineyard tours. I has made an incorrect assumption about pricing, but that was my mistake for not clarifying. Regardless, the tours were excellent. We especially enjoyed being taken to Vincent's favorite "secret" winemaker...17th generation!, who has a tiny cave in a tiny village and offers EXQUISITE wines at value prices. What a find!

Thank you, Vincent and Elodie for hosting us in Beaune. We hope to be back again.
For a lovely Burgundy destination with charming hosts and great local insight, you absolutely could not do better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LATERREDOR, Propriétaire at La Terre D'or, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review, that's really nice of you. We were very happy to welcome your family here and show you some of our favourite spots around. Good to know that you liked this lovely burgundy cottage so much. I really hope that we have the pleasure to see you again here one day! Take care.
anywhere warm!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My family of 5 (myself, husband, parents, and brother) stayed in the Les Lilas cottage for one night only. It is down a small road from the main guesthouse and has its own beautiful garden where we enjoyed a lovely light breakfast that was delivered to our door in a woven basket. Although I had communicated with the proprietors prior to booking and was assured that the cottage was fine for 5, it really is meant for only 4 people. There are 2 bedrooms that are lovely for couples, but the 5th "bed" was really just a small bench with blankets on it, placed in the area adjacent to the kitchen. My brother's adult-sized frame was unfortunately not very comfortable at all. Even if your 5th person is a child, I would caution you about making that into a bed. The cottage is adorable but there is no real living area for congregating, and adding a "cot" effectively takes away any tidbit of living area for hanging out--which is the reason most of us rent a whole property. Also, the curtains in that common space are gauzy thin, so he was up with the sun. I would say that the cottage is lovely for 4, but don't plan on housing any more there--no matter what the owner says.

After my parents and brother left, my husband and I stayed on for a few more nights. Upon checkin, we were told that we would have to move from the cottage in to the main guesthouse. Although this isn't an absolutely huge deal, it was different from what had been previously agreed upon (we had anticipated being able to stay in our half of the cottage). I understand that he needed the cottage for a group, but advance notice would have been appreciated.

That said, it was nice nice stay. The proprietors are friendly and even if you don't particularly care for the grotto, you have to appreciate the fact that they have the passion to committment to do something like that. As previous reviews have noted, the hotel is actually a bit outside the main town and touristy area of Beaune. The walk down in the daytime took us about 30 minutes at a leisurely pace and was scenic. I wouldn't recommend walking back, as most of it is uphill along a decently steep incline, it is unpaved, and the windy path is frequented by cars. If you want convenience to towns I would definitely recommend staying in town, as we couldn't just pop in & out for meals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
You are right, Les Lilas cottage is really for 4 people only and I'm sorry that it was cramped for the the 5th person. We had understood it was an additional child coming but discovered an adult instead, then it was too late to change anything. The cottage is really large and confortable for 4 couples, sometimes with a child. The living room is more then 30 sq meters and the terrace in the garden is really large. For the next nights, as you were just the 2 of you, we offered a higher standard room for the same price, in the main house.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days during our honeymoon in June. We were warmly greeted by Jean-Louis upon arrival, who checked us in and showed us to our cottage. The next day, we went on a private wine tasting tour with Jean-Louis, which was one of our favorite days of our whole trip. Jean-Louis was incredibly knowledgeable, spoke wonderful English, and made us laugh all day. During the rest of our stay, we enjoyed beautiful breakfasts on the patio of the main house, recommendations on what to do and where to go from Vincent and a soak in the Jacuzzi in the grotto. The view of Beaune was beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed being close to the town, but not in it. It was a lot of fun to drive up the narrow, windy road through the vineyards to get to La Terre D'Or in our little Peugot. Our (half of the) cottage was very clean and comfortable, although the mattress was a little hard by the last day. We had such a great stay that we barely noticed. Beaune is a gorgeous town in the heart of Burgundy, and La Terre D'Or is a fantastic place to stay. We can't wait to return on our next trip through Burgundy.

Room Tip: If you tell Jean-Louis or Vincent your goals and how many people you have, they'll help you pick...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CA_Traveler0806
Merci beaucoup! It's very nice of you to write a review. We loved to have you here during your
honeymoon and we wanted it to be special for you. Hope that you come back here, there is still
much we can show you around! Best regards from Vincent and Jean-Louis
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed two nights as part of our honeymoon and this was the perfect place to start our tour of Burgundy. Jean-Louis, Vincent and Elodie provided a lot of assistance even before our arrival (directions, dinner reservations, etc.). Once we arrived, our every need was taken care of. We stayed in the Orchidées Sauvages room and it was large and beautiful with a small attached terrace. The breakfast was definitely worth the additional charge- it is high quality and the views from the terrace are such a great backdrop first thing in the morning! We also did a half day tour with Jean-Louis which was great and taught us so much about the region. The underground cave with the jacuzzi was a relaxing and unique experience as well. We look forward to returning one day- the place is beautiful and it is such a serene atmosphere.

The house is about a 20 min walk into Beaune and the ~6 Euro cab ride back is essential (it's up in the hills, hence the views). We also wonder if we ever would have found the place without our GPS, so plan ahead! Overall we were so happy to have spent part of our honeymoon here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda W
LATERREDOR, Propriétaire at La Terre D'or, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Amanda & Karl, thank you so much for your great review. We had great pleasure meeting you and introducing you to some of the best winemakers around. We enjoyed seeing how enthusiastic you were. Hope to see you back one day! From Vincent and La Terre d'Or team.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed last week for three days at the La Terre d'or, where we were welcomed in a very friendly way. This felt very nice after a 7 hours car ride, and the information we received was usefull and thorough. The house itself is a normal, quite new brick house at a hillslope overlooking Beaune (no view on vineyards but on the city valley). The owners do not live on the property, but rent out the house to their guests. The room given to us was located at the first floor of the house, again an normal ok bedroom, though the bed itself caused some backpain, with clean bathroom. The rooms do not have an balcony or large window which makes it quite dark and isolated. There is a nice small garden and small swimming pool. From the pool there is no view.
All in all, I would say we have had a ok stay, were welcomed and helped in a very friendly way, but besides that there is nothing "real special" to this place and it is definitely not worth the 175 euro's (breakfast not included) we were charged for, it is no fair value. At most it should be around 100 euro's. The last few days of our trip we stayed at a beautiful old bourgondy style house in st desert, with great swimming pool, breakfast included (at terre d'or you have also to pay extra for breakfast), great garden and payed 100 euro's. To us the experience in St Desert will be one to remember and advice to others, La Terre d'or unfortunately a bit less.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaap F
Thank you for your nice words about hospitality, we love to advice our guests and share our best addresses with them. La Terre d'Or is our family house, were I grew up myself with my parents and sister. It has incredible views over Beaune old town from the large terrace and gardens. The 3 bedrooms upstairs also have great views and 2 of them can see the vineyards right under the house.
There are just 2 large and romantic bedrooms on the ground floor, both with private terraces, so I'm not sure to understand which room was yours. They are both special bedrooms, often booked first by our regular guests and by lovers on their honeymoon. The garden is 1600 q meters with 3 levels which gives a lot of possibilities of private talk, rest, aperitif: on the large terrace, under the pergola, at the pool or elsewhere in the gardens. The pool is 10 meters long, it has no view because most persons want it cosy when they are swimming or sunbathing. It's absolutely full of flowers and butterflies. If you come back, I will show you the very special grotto we have under the house with a jacuzzi to relax ands you may enjoy a bottle of wine there!
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful nights in this beautiful B&B in the village of Beaune. It was the perfect location for driving through Burgundy. Jean-Louis was a wonderful guide and helped me practice my francais! Jean-Louis and Vincent helped with recommendations of things not to miss and made great dinner suggestions (which was especially helpful since I am a vegetarian). And the hidden hot tub in the cave definitely was a unique highlight! It was a lovely place to relax and enjoy the beautiful villages in the Cotes de Beaune.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scubagirlNYC
Thank you so much, it was great to spend a day with you, take you to the lovely winemaker villages, vineyards and some of the welcoming winemakers we like best. Hope to see yo back!