“Excellent location, and nice luxury hotel to boot.”

Hotel de Luxe le Cep
Ranked #3 of 62 Hotels in Beaune
Reviewed August 11, 2013

One night in Beaune as we travelled north. Room was £154 with nice balcony. Very plush with ensuite, double sink, large shower, bath, gold and silver taps. Smallish TV with all channels, min-bar, air conditioned. Very relaxing in the courtyard with excellent wine and nibbles. We opted for wandering into Beaune (1 min) to have breakfast with the bustling market, and also for the previous evening meal. Would highly recommend. Very relaxing, excellent sleep. Very attentive staff. Car was parked in their garage. Free wi-fi too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Hotel Le Cep for three nights during our mother/daughter wine tasting trip. The hotel is absolutely charming and gorgeous. Perfectly located in the town of Beaune, we were able to walk to a variety of restaurants and sites, and the Saturday market is right around the corner from the hotel. It's about a ten-minute cab ride from the Beaune train station. We didn't have a problem finding a taxi when our train arrived.

We stayed in a Premier Cru room (Richebourg), which has been recently renovated. The room overlooks a quiet garden, and the two twin beds were quite comfortable. The room is incredibly spacious - along with the two beds, the room includes a massive desk, a large couch, and separate toilet and shower rooms.

We faced a few issues with our room that somewhat distracted us from our stay. First, the receiver on our phone did not work. We told the front desk about this issue on our second day, and nothing was done to fix it. Even worse, the front desk called us on the phone twice, which we could not answer so we had to run downstairs each time to see why they were calling. Additionally, other than the Le Cep tv station, none of the channels on our tv worked. Also, the hair dryer was horrible - it is attached to the wall and barely blows out any air. I can't understand why the hotel renovated the room yet failed to remove the decades-old hair dryer. Moreover, a shelf in the shower was hanging precariously throughout the stay, and the room did not have a wine opener. When we asked the hotel if we could borrow a wine opener, the bartender informed us that he only knew of one wine opener (which was in his pocket), and we had to return it within five minutes.

Lastly, the light sensor in the hallway is one to be reckoned with. We had to lock the door with a large key, but the light sensor would not turn on unless we reached the end of the hallway. The hallway was very dark both night and day. Thus, every time we left, my mother would have to run down the hallway and wave her arms by the light sensor, while I tried to quickly lock the door before the lights turned off again. I'm not sure how a solo traveler could lock the door while activating the light sensor.

On the bright side, the front desk staff were quite pleasant, and we spent some lovely evenings on the patio having a cocktail. Additionally, the breakfast, while expensive, was quite tasty.

Overall, we were enchanted by the charming hotel, but our room issues would make me pause in considering whether to book a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank B.G._Chicago
JeanClaudeBERNARD, Owner at Hotel de Luxe le Cep, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guests,
I thank you for choosing Le CEP for your Mother /Daughter stay , always a special event to share, and I am pleased that you loved the Hotel, the location and our facilities.
I thank you to took time for this review and to highlight some details in this room which need to be improved; that's very helpful for us in our permanent goal to provide a total satisfaction!
I checked with my team, and it seams that we had the information of the trouble concerning the receiver of the phone just during your check out, just as for the TV channels...
Our bagman went immediately in your room, and fix the trouble of your phone which was not correctly plug, and he noted that all was in order with the tv channels?!...
We are always ready to assist our guests for any trouble or extra explanations, and it's never to early for us to have such requests, and to fix it for your comfort and pleasure!
Thanks to your kind remark the light sensor in this corridor is now repaired...
Concerning the hair dryer, I agree with you that this model is not the most efficient..., but it's a legal security obligation in France for Hotels to use such models without any electric materiel in the hand when the hair dryer is located close the wash hand basin, in case it falls into the water...
The reception is able to provide on request some stronger hair dryer to be used in the room instead of in the bath room...
I read with attention your note concerning the wine opener..., because I agree with you, it's a shame not to be able to open a bottle in the wine capital!
Your testimony is important for us, and was helpful to improve our service, and I thank you again for your attention and I hope to have the real pleasure to welcoming you and your mother again in Le CEP!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've come here many times before, so our review is somewhat biased as we are very kind received, and most personnel, we know them and they us for over 10 years. This time we tried out one of the new rooms or apartments after being offered to choose between 3 of them. We choose 208 for is intimacy and its nice and soft decoration.
Breakfast was as usual very good for French standards. All in all, it was nice to be back and see that all goes well.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Recommended to us by a friend we decided to stay overnight to break our journey from Mougins to Calais and we're so glad we did. Beaune is a beautiful town, spotless, almost too perfect to be true, especially if you are interested in learning more of some of the finest wines produced on the planet.
The hotel was faultless, service impeccable and breakfast delicious. We loved our room with it's cute terrace. The public rooms are amazing, the décor, furnishings and objet d’art very interesting. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace and if driving ask for a parking space, extra charge, in their secure...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Grand Cru (Charmes Chambertin) room, which was larger than an average room with a beautiful bathroom. The reception and bar staff were friendly and fantastic, and the hotel has a beautiful lobby and courtyard. Overall I was satisfied, just felt that I was being charged around 30% more than I should have for the room. It was almost as expensive as Paris, but let's be honest - you're in country France! We stayed in a similar room in Strasbourg for around half the price. So, I still recommend this hotel, but maybe don't opt for an expensive room.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I originally gave this hotel a lower rating while I was still staying there, the Gen Mngr caught up with me and seemed truly concerned and I am adjusting my review. If you stayed there before 2007, you will likely be disappointed. The Hotel is not what it was, they've had a changeover with the restaurant, although I'm sure it made sense for them, it's not the same hotel, atmosphere or quality. The reception staff are often indifferent, the GM seemed aware of this but....I sat and watched while the staff rolled their eyes at guests, this is never appropriate, anywhere. The young Bellman, however, was very diligent.
They have little influence with the restaurant and reservations, you are better to make a res on your own, note it's closed Sun/Mon. The bar is their bar and not affiliated with the restaurant, often seems not open and has a very limited choice of wines, etc. This bar used to be lively and now people seem to stop for one drink and leave.
The rooms need to be updated, all in all, the hotel has lost some of it's vibrancy and color and now everything just seems dark & tired..it could be so much better with a bit of staff training and even a minor spruce up. This is a grand hotel and I am afraid the staff have lost respect for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the best hotel in Beaune, though why anyone other than a wine afficionado would want to go to Beaune these days is a mystery. The town is crowded with tourist groups and a lot of second rate shops and restaurants catering to them. The hotel itself, a composite of several old buildings is comfortable and the service is good. But beware of their restaurant recommendations. They sent us to a place that was virtually empty with inedible food.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple