“Read the reviews and make sure you know what it is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sensation Vin

Sensation Vin
Ranked #3 of 21 Shopping in Beaune
Toronto, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Read the reviews and make sure you know what it is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

They provide a course for Burgundy Wine tasting. This is a real course talking about wine in the region, how to read label, flavor and smell, finished with a 8 wine tasting. I suggest you know a bit about wine and that you expect it to be a real tasting (i.e spitting, no eating and trying to characterize the wine). Be aware too that some of the student are here to learn and know a lot about wine. If you understand that, you will have fun, it will allow you (as a group or couple) to have a good understanding of the wines and then go on your own and have a great meal.
The teacher can do group in English.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank xtof44

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“You can get more information from a good wine shop”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Granted I knew a bit about wine before signing up, but I expected more from this class. There were only 3 people in my class-late middle aged and not drinking our first glass of wine in our life. The wines tasted were mediocre. The women leading the class was not enthused by the small group nor interested in our questions which may have been more thechnical than she is used too. This is not a cheap class, spend the money on the same bottle we tasted (for three of us $124) and you will get more enjoyment without the attitude.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank kwoodRochester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fun wine class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was a great way to get a quick but detailed lesson on French wines and to get a taste of several different wines. Was a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Visited October 2011
Basel, Switzerland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good introduction to wine tasting for beginners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We took the 1.5 hour class in wine tasting at Sensation VIn, Beaune. The French lady who taught the class explained the basics, using as examples a number of local wines as well as a power point presentation. After that, we went on to taste 5 red and 4 white wines from the Bourgogne region. It was a very interactive session with us, the three other guests and the teacher sharing our impressions and trying to define the various wines by using appropriate terminology. Overall, it was a fun experience and a pleasant way to spend your afternoon in the medieval town of Beaune. I am now considering taking more in-depth classes on wine tasting, as well as doing some self study. Truly enriching experience!

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Gergana23
Geneva
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Disappointing and left a bad taste in my mouth (not from the wine!)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Sensation Vin looked very promising as my girlfriend and I walked by... great looking interior and decent selection of wines. Upon entering, we received a less than enthusiastic reception despite requesting a 1 hour tasting in the otherwise empty shop. Having lived for over a decade in France and are used to indifference from time to time, we both tried to be patient and focused on the chance to learn something. Both employees made certain comments that were rude and annoying. After the first few minutes of the 'tasting', the lady giving the presentation was more argumentative than informative. It was difficult to have a discussion, so I left my girlfriend be our spokeswoman, since she was willing to exercise her patience. Because of this lady I didn't enjoy the experience at all and would not have paid money for it. With hindsight, we should have walked out when we felt the initial coolness of the reception.

To try and be objective, I did learn a few things (I'm an experienced wine taster, having lived in the Cotes du Rhone area for 6 years and very familiar with wines of southern France in particular). The 6 wines we tasted (3 white, 3 red) were good and represented a fair range of mid-quality Burgundy wines. They use multimedia well and give a pretty good overview of Burgundy.

Beginning tasters would have taken a lot more away from the experience and I would hesitantly recommend it to a total novice (although you have to put up with attitude).

I think anyone with a little experience and idea of things they wanted to find out could have easily gotten the information presented from any of the domaines in the city. Was it worth 20 euros for the tasting and information? No. Patriarch, for example, offers a tasting of 13 wines, vist their 'museum' and cellars for 10 euros. We loved their 5km of cellars stocked with all sorts of bottles and the whole atmosphere of the place. When it got to the tasting, the wines had a diversity and there were plenty of people working to help and answer any questions. Would highly recommend.

The next day we tasted at a few other domaines and had great experiences. Like I said, a few questions to one of the friendlier people working at the domaines would have educated us just as much AND given us a positive experience.

7 Thank mattwilli53